Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mbrownp1, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah, this fan doesn't agree with Keith. Having brilliant musicians play isn't "compromised" or a problem. I think it's just an ego thing for him, maybe it's hard to admit the band made some seriously good music when he was nodding off.

3. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Nail. Head. Hit. :edthumbs:

The Beave and DTK like this.
  4. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I'm looking forward to this!
    Funny thing about this album is when I just think about it, I tend to feel it's not one of their best albums
    Then when I play it, I really like it! And I end up keeping it out by my home stereo or in my car for a while!
    I think it holds up as a whole album- as a piece, not just the songs individually. It has a 'sound'.

What it does lack, to me, is the absence of driving percussion that Jimmy Miller always brought to the production.
    Think Jumpin Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, Gimme Shelter and so on.
    Example: I think Dancing With Mr D would have been MUCH more of a groove with some mixed down maracas or something.

5. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

Bongos would suit Dancing With Mr D too. Maybe the Stones didn't want to use the same sounds again though. ;)

6. Triss

Triss Dark Horse

I’m not sure the stones have ever worried about using the same sound again, post exile

pig bodine likes this.
  7. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Jimmy Miller was losing his mind during those sessions iirc

The Beave and blivet like this.
  8. Triss

Triss Dark Horse

It wouldn’t shock me if that story were true. Taylor seems to have been used and abused by The Rolling Stones machine, pick him up when they need him, and almost deny his existence when they don’t....the guest appearances in recent shows, and Exile Deluxe overdubs spring to mind.

thanks for your insight on the 81 cameo. I’d have never of thought Woody invited him: in my head, I though Ron would have felt like a spare part with Taylor on stage. I wonder when/if relations turned sour? I feel that the band semi whitewash over his time in the group....lets face it, they also downplay Brian’s influence and involvement

9. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

hmm, that is odd! One Andy Johns replaced by another Andy Johns pic. Probably used the first photo without permission of the photog, and then when he asked for money they just replaced it instead.

ODShowtime, Hep Alien and tages like this.
  10. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

11. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Yes, you're right.
    The production quality of GHS is really more reflective of Mick than Miller or Keef.
    Good point!

The Beave likes this.
  12. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

ODShowtime and Buddybud like this.
  13. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Great article.
    Thanks for posting

All Down The Line and Hiraeth like this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Stones Next LP to be Called 'Goat's Head Soup'

Dancing with Mr. D
    Hundred Years
    Do Do Do Do
    Angie
    Silver Train
    Hide Your Love
    Can You Hear the Music?
    Starf*cker
    Through the Lonely Hours
    Crisscross

The Rolling Stones Recording in Jamaica

You Should Have Seen Her Ass
    Star-f*cker
    Separately
    Four and In
    Give Us a Break
    Comin' Down Again
    Waiting for a Friend
    Angie
    First Thing

Rolling Stones articles about the Stones recording Goats Head Soup. The above song titles are mentioned in the articles.

Note that Winter is not mentioned in these articles and Coming Down Again was not listed in one of them.

15. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

It's amazing that they squeezed in a Pacific Tour in immediately after recording GHS. They were a very hard working band in those days. There's great footage of them playing in blinding sun on the Aussie part of the tour--killer live version of Brown Sugar. The set list is essentially the same as the STP tour. No Mr D or Heartbreaker until the Europe 73 tour obviously. I'm sure that tour was the only time they played the GHS tracks.

[​IMG]

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Star Star was still being played in 1975. They have played Silver Train and Dancing with Mr. D more recently.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Interesting footage of tv special about 1973 Australian Tour

18. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

I had a thought regarding this potential upcoming release:

In the case of the previous three deluxe editions (Exile, Some Girls, Sticky Fingers), there was a teaser for a corresponding live release that came out relatively shortly after the deluxe box came out. (Ladies and Gentlemen for Exile, Texas ‘78 for Some Girls, Marquee ‘71 for Sticky Fingers). Might we expect the same thing for GHS? Some sort of teaser in the deluxe box and a standalone live release from that time period? Just a thought and it may not amount to anything but there’s definitely a pattern here

19. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

That's a great piece. Both the Keith and Mick interviews are amazing. The only bit I'd seen previously was where Keith talks very poignantly about Brian. Anyway, what a fantastic time capsule--there's no film material like that from the 1972 tour.

20. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

A Tattoo You deluxe?

Wasn't that a collection of outtakes from Some Girls, Black & Blue, Emotional Rescue and Goat's Head Soup?

Side one
    1. "Start Me Up" 3:31 SG
    2. "Hang Fire" 2:20 SG
    3. "Slave" (Remastered CD version is 6:34) 4:55 B&B
    4. "Little T&A" 3:23 ER
    5. "Black Limousine" 3:32 SG
    6. "Neighbours" 3:31 ER

Side two
    1. "Worried About You" 5:16 B&B
    2. "Tops" 3:45 GHS
    3. "Heaven" 4:21 ER
    4. "No Use in Crying" 3:24 ER
    5. "Waiting on a Friend" GHS

A deluxe Tattoo You would be a collection of outtakes from 1973-1981 with overdubs added.

Hep Alien, enro99 and superstar19 like this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

There were already overdubs added on Tattoo You.

22. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

And that’s Keith’s main problem, other musicians usurping his Keefness!
    Totally pathetic imo, if other musicians elevate the song, you go with it, but Keith definitely has a fear of other musicians.
    Beave

MikeManaic61 likes this.
  23. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

How cool to catch a glimpse of legendary Lillian Roxon in that Australian video piece. Sadly, she must have passed away not long after it was made.

All Down The Line, vcpj and Hep Alien like this.
  24. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Yes you're right--she died in August.

[​IMG]

25. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Wow. Does your brain hurt? LoL. Good investigating there! Sure seems like there should be if indeed it was a concerted pattern on their part.