David Bowie - I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PageLesPaul, Feb 20, 2020.

1. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll... Thread Starter

New David Bowie Record Store Day release announced | superdeluxeedition

New David Bowie Record Store Day release announced
    February 20, 2020 by Paul Sinclairtags: 1970s, david bowie, Record Store Day, RSD20

[​IMG]
    Never before heard 1974 live recordings

Parlophone have announced a second David Bowie release for this year’s Record Store Day. It’s an album of unheard recordings of Bowie in concert in late 1974 as he transformed his theatrical Diamond Dogs tour into a soul revue.

I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74) is a live album taken from “recently discovered sources” and was recorded mostly during David’s performance at the Michigan Palace, Detroit on 20 October, 1974. The reason for the ‘mostly’ is that because Diamond Dogs is missing (the whole song wasn’t captured). Because of this, the encores from the 30 November show which featured ‘Diamond Dogs’ are included. This also enables a fuller representation of the set from The Soul Tour including such numbers as ‘Knock On Wood’ and the ‘Foot Stompin’ / I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate’ medley.

As is reasonably well documented, The Soul Tour was a radical mid-tour departure from Bowie’s 1974 Diamond Dogs experience. During a three week break in late 1974, the Diamond Dogs Tour’s elaborate six-ton Hunger City stage set was stripped back, and the tour’s set list overhauled to include as-yet-unreleased tracks from the Young Americans sessions at Sigma Sound in Philadelphia. The Soul Tour also featured a revamped band, augmented to include musicians and vocalists from those sessions, and rechristened The Mike Garson Band.

I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74) will be released on 2LP, but also as two-CD set and it’s really great to see the label put this out on CD simultaneously. The artwork is based on the (presumably hastily cobbled together) original design for the programmes available at venues for dates on The Soul Tour.

The previously announcedCHANGESNOWBOWIE is the other Bowie Record Store Day release this year, although in related news it has recently been announced that the Is It Any Wonder? streaming EP will now be issued as a physical product. There is a slight tweak as ‘Fun (Clownboy Mix)’ replaces ‘The Man Who Sold The World (ChangesNowBowie version)’ on the 12-inch vinyl and CD. The only catch is that it won’t be widely available. In fact, it’s exclusive to Bowie’s online store and other Warner controlled channels.

Is It Any Wonder? will be issued on 20 March 2020, while I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74)is available on Record Store Day which is 18 April 2020.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74)

CD 1
    LP Side 1
    1. Introduction – Memory Of A Free Festival
    2. Rebel Rebel
    3. John, I’m Only Dancing (Again)
    4. Sorrow
    5. Changes
    6. 1984

LP Side 2
    1. Moonage Daydream
    2. Rock ’n’ Roll With Me
    3. Love Me Do / The Jean Genie
    4. Young Americans

CD 2
    LP Side 3
    1. Can You Hear Me
    2. It’s Gonna Be Me
    3. Somebody Up There Likes Me
    4. Suffragette City

LP Side 4
    1. Rock ’n’ Roll Suicide
    2. Panic In Detroit
    3. Knock On Wood *
    4. Foot Stompin’ / I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate / Foot Stompin’ *
    5. Diamond Dogs / It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll (But I like It) / Diamond Dogs *

Recorded at the Michigan Palace, Detroit on 20th October, 1974 and * at the Municipal Auditorium, Nashville on 30th November, 1974.

Musicians:
    David Bowie – Vocals, 12 string acoustic guitar, harmonica
    The Mike Garson Band:
    Earl Slick – Guitar
    Carlos Alomar – Guitar
    Mike Garson – Piano, Mellotron
    David Sanborn – Alto sax, flute
    Pablo Rosario – Percussion
    Emir Ksasan – Bass
    Dennis Davis – Drums
    Backing vocals – Warren Peace, Anthony Hinton, Luther Vandross, Ava Cherry, Robin Clark and Diane Sumler.

These recordings have been mastered from the only available sources to provide the best sound quality possible. Any flaws and distortion are inherent in the original sources and we hope the historical importance of the recordings outweighs any such imperfections and does not detract from the enjoyment of the performances.

2. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Lesser quality audio circulating of that Detroit show to get in the mood

3. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’ll buy it.

TonyCzar likes this.
  4. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Hope I can find a copy!

The MEZ and Curveboy like this.
  5. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

Now, we need a full video release

seacliffe301 and mark winstanley like this.
  6. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Great to see CD editions of the RSD issues. Should improve my chances to find copies.

7. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Automatic buy for me (if I can secure a copy...)

Nicode70 likes this.
  8. Steve Carroll

Steve Carroll Forum Resident

Fantastic! Can't wait to hear what Dennis Davis brings to this live outing! Something both imaginative and unexpected I'm sure. Davis never finished the tour - anyone know why? Diamond Dogs, Young Americans and then Station to Station ... such creativity ... I simply can't fathom how Bowie survived this period of his life. The gruelling tour / record scheduling ... the bricks of cocaine. Bloody hell!

CBackley and Runicen like this.
  9. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I'll be after a copy, had no major problems finding the previous live RSD albums, but was hoping they'd do something from Sound + Vision instead of another 74 era show.

agn, CBackley and Steve Carroll like this.
  10. Steve Carroll

Steve Carroll Forum Resident

I'd like to see a tour recording of 'Sound and Vision' released as well. I'm surprised that it hasn't seen the light of day already - if for no other reason than to kill off the myriad of bootlegs than are out there already: Birmingham, London Docklands, Milton Keynes, Berlin, Rio, Tokyo, Quebec, Montreal, Paris, Dortmund the list goes on! Perhaps it is being held back for inclusion in the next box set?

GLUDFSSR and enro99 like this.
  11. footprintsinthesand

The S&V tour featured Erdal Kizilcay, maybe that counts.

Mikewest and TonyCzar like this.
  12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Who finished the tour on drums, then? Granted I'm not an expert on this period and this source hasn't been updated in a long time, but it indicates Davis finished up the tour and then stuck with Bowie for the subsequent two tours:

BASSMAN'S DAVID BOWIE PAGE: tours

13. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I really hope it's not a box set exclusive. I wish I could have bought them but I wasn't able to afford them when they came out and already have most of the studio albums in some form or another. Now I've managed to pick up some of the set exclusives here and there but you have to really lucky to come across them from a broken box.

14. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Bowie RSD releases are no longer limited editions - I'd imagine the pressing numbers are higher than standard releases!! If you're not in a rush to have it, give it a few weeks when the retailers are desperately trying to shift them online. I do wonder why people still queue up for RSD - you're not gaining anything out of it, unless you just enjoy talking to people whilst in a queue!?

AwaitingOnYouAl and rxcory like this.
  15. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

I guess this means no Sound + Vision Tour album AGAIN for this RSD

On the other Hand - this release sounds far more interesting!

Man at C&A, CBackley and jhm like this.
  16. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

sometimes it's fun.

17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

18. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

Where can I buy a CD copy of this in the UK?

19. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Sounds great but I already have two albums from this tour, not sure I need a third.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  20. footprintsinthesand

Have UK record stores been excluded from Record Store Day post brexit ?

21. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

I don’t know any record stores, hence reason I’m asking..

Halloween_Jack and keef285 like this.
  22. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll... Thread Starter

23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Well, they run these events so you'll discover where some record store are, but in any case...I have not seen this release being touted as a Record Store Day Exclusive, so if David Bowie history (two double-live albums so far) is any precedent, this "RSD title" will be available widely after a window of a couple months.

[Edit: Not trying to be smarty-pants. I just discovered there are zero stores in the UK near me!!]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    vcpj and Mark87 like this.
  24. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Not one of my favorite eras of Bowie, probably won't try to grab this (not that there will be any copies up for grabs anywhere).

25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Leg 3 was different again from Los Angeles/Cracked Actor. It was shows from this leg I chased down most vigorously after his passing, because even though they all were crap SQ, they were in a different league from what came before - that long, delicious "slow jam" at the start of "side 3", for example. Including "Young Americans". But still, really crap SQ.

And I saw a brief audience vid of "DD/IORR/DD" on YouTube. Hot Stuff. (npi).

[Edit: okay. Random sync of Boston audio to found footage, but DD is nice and fast. Hope it's not a tape speed problem...

bobcat, vcpj and jhm like this.