Iain Matthews Appreciation Thread--solo, album by album + track by track (pg. 18)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jul 19, 2017.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

I've moved thru these three rather quickly and I'll give you all a chance to catch me up before we get into Ian's extensive solo catalog...

...now for my favorite fully realized Matthews Southern Comfort LP. With harmonies that rival CSNY and an album full of all round great tracks:

Love it.

3) Later That Same Year, 1970, 1971

[​IMG]released

Later That Same Year is the 1970 album by country rock/folk rock musician Ian Matthews' band, Matthews Southern Comfort. This was Ian's third album after his departure from Fairport Convention in 1969, and was released in November 1970 shortly after the band's single "Woodstock" had reached Number One in the UK singles chart. For the US release in Spring 1971, "Jonah" was left off the album and was replaced with "Woodstock" which became the lead track. -wiki

Literally, yes, later that same year, their seond L in 1970...Iain & Co release my favorite LP by them...

Matthews Southern Comfort - Woodstock (1970)

For me this LP is the apex of Southern Comfort and quite enjoyable start to finish. I love it, and yes, Woodstock to my ears is a beautiful cover and quite an accomplished rendering, vocally and instrumentally. 5/5.

UK version on Uni (released 1970)

• "And Me" (Ian Matthews) - 4:39
      • "Jonah" (Carl Barnwell) - 4:14
      • "My Lady" (Ian Matthews) - 1:38
      • "And When She Smiles (She Makes The Sun Shine)" (Alan Anderson) - 2:13
      • "Mare, Take Me Home" (Alan Anderson) - 3:43
      • "Sylvie" (Carl Barnwell) - 5:41
      • "For Melanie" (Carl Barnwell) - 6:40
      • "Road to Ronderlin" (Ian Matthews) - 2:19
    US version on Decca (released 1971)

• "And Me" (Ian Matthews) - 4:39
      • "My Lady" (Ian Matthews) - 1:38
      • "And When She Smiles (She Makes The Sun Shine)" (Alan Anderson) - 2:13
      • "Mare, Take Me Home" (Alan Anderson) - 3:43
      • "Sylvie" (Carl Barnwell) - 5:41
      • "For Melanie" (Carl Barnwell) - 6:40
      • "Road to Ronderlin" (Ian Matthews) - 2:19

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    oboogie likes this.
  2. lemonade kid

A beautiful cover I enjoy a lot...rivaling Neil's original

Tell Me Why

oboogie likes this.
  3. lemonade kid

This one realizes the mature Ian and is quite good.

My Lady...track 5, side 1

oboogie likes this.
  4. lemonade kid

Road To Ronderlin is an Ian penned tune that closes out "Later..." perfectly. One that Iain plays still.
    You'v e probably noticed I move between "Ian" and "Iain"...just as Iain moved thru time I guess.

oboogie likes this.
  5. lemonade kid

Here is a beautiful live rendering by Iain & friends in 2017. Beautiful. Love this long version.

Eric Devries voice echoes Iain perfectly and they harmonize perfectly.

Road To Ronderlin

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  6. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I jumped into this thread at exactly the right time!

I know only selected moments of Iain's long career, but I did want to check in long enough to say that I think "Sylvie" is one of the most beautiful songs ever put to wax by anyone — ever.

A beautifully sensitive vocal by Iain, and harmonies to die for. And how can you go wrong with the pastoral acoustic guitar and vibes backing?

I formed a band back in college with guys who are still my best friends today. Twice a year we get back together to record songs — originals on one of those occasions, selected covers on the other. I nominated "Sylvie" for one of our covers sessions a few years ago. Our lead singer really nailed it, our keyboard player simulated the vibes with his keyboard, and three of us joined for the backing vocals. One of the most rewarding out of the hundreds of songs we've recorded.

ETA: Didn't mean to jump the gun here — I didn't realize you were going track by track. And you seem to be focusing on Ian-composed songs only, but I just had to say something about "Sylvie"!

BlairH likes this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The Matthews' Southern Comfort album get a bad rap from some quarters because of Howard & Blaikley doing a "ChinniChap" and writing/producing much of the material.

For me though, they brought some top notch material to the table. Throw in Richard Thompson's contribution and Ian surprisingly good songwriting baby steps and it's a nicely varied first album.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. lemonade kid

S'ok...not gong track by track, only album by album so share your love...Sylvie is beautiful indeed,

9. lemonade kid

I agree 100%..a couple missteps but overall, fantastic debut

carlwm likes this.
  10. lemonade kid

Sylvie...pretty perfect. A bit jazz infused makes it even better, as Ian stretches his musical chops to sounding more like the Ian of later solo masterpieces. Moving a bit away from the pure country feel he strived for on the first two.

This is what we're talkin' about. Love the vibes. Jazzy...

11. lemonade kid

Sorry about the few typos...fixed above

12. lemonade kid

Back to "Second Spring"...Something In The Way She Moves....great cover. I don't mind at all if we jump around the three albums with comments and favorite tracks. I'll be a little more structured as we get into his solo albums, but even then, anything goes. No hard and fast rules.

oboogie likes this.
  13. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

The one from Second Spring that has always stuck with me is this one.

Ian claiming composer credit for it is a little shady, but still!

oboogie likes this.
  14. lemonade kid

If you have the actual original vinyl, my Decca liner notes state that it is a "Traditional song, arranged by Ian Matthews", tho wiki just gives Ian credit. I am sure Ian didn't mean it to be so.
    ...but yes, a great one.

MikeM likes this.
  15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I was indeed going by what Wikipedia says, as I'm at work and unable to check my own vinyl copy. Glad to know it gives a more accurate accounting!

lemonade kid likes this.
  16. lemonade kid

A post above mentioning "Morgan The Pirate" is right on. What a perfect reading of Farina's "Morgan The Pirate".

Wonderful lyrics and instrumentation. And my NM vinyl original is wonderful audio. We'll get into Ian's masterwork "If You Saw Thro' My Eyes" soon...but exploring the three Matthews Southern Comfort LPs is well worth the trip.

Don'y br shy about mentioning ANY Ian or Iain LP or songs...it's my thread and here anything Iain Matthews goes...ever bringing up a bit of Fairport is allowed!

:tiphat:

Hello hey buddy wanna thank you for the ride.
    Don't know how I would have made it without you.
    Had to push when you got busted, had to help you get adjusted.
    Had to pick up pieces after you'd been thro'.
    But you had to have assistance in confirming your existence
    And establishing resistance to the one or two hard feelings left behind.

One or two hard feelings left behind.

It's alright brother have to thank you for the fun.
    Don't know how I'll ever find my way alone.
    There were all the friends around you.
    There were some who claimed they found you.
    And a few who helped construct your favourite role.
    But you saw your queen embrace her, in the process you amaze her.
    And if I may paraphrase her, there are one or two hard feelings.

There are one or two hard feelings left behind.

So sit tight buddy let me say it's been a groove.
    Don't know how I'll climb this ladder by myself.
    Just because it's kinda broke, it don't mean you'd overlook it.
    Or expect me up above and giving hand.
    After all the lights were blinking.
    In the headline of your thinking, while your open eye

Was winking at the one or two hard feelings.

Well so long brother, let me say it's been a ball.
    But as long as you're still climbing I resign.
    You have been an inspiration to your image's creation.
    So I think I'll step outside and pass the time.
    You have been at your debuting
    And you're ready for renewing.
    And there's no time for undoing, just the one or two hard feelings.

It's bye bye buddy, have to say it once again.
    I appreciate your velvet helping hand.
    Even though you never gave it, I am sure you had to save it.
    For the gestures of the friends you understand.
    Now you've gotten even higher
    And become your own supplier,.
    And the number one denier of the one or two hard feelings.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    carlwm and oboogie like this.
  17. lemonade kid

For Melanie...from Later "That Same Year".

Heavier folk rocker, and matches the best of anything CSNY created. Such lush and perfect harmonies.

peachyg72 and oboogie like this.
  18. lemonade kid

"Matthews Southern Comfort...may record separately" So the headlines read.
    "Matthews Southern Discomfort..." See the news clips below...

Ian's first real solo LP and an amazing debut.
    Of course we all love those Vertigo record labels, but the album is almost everyone's fave.

4) If You Saw Thro' My Eyes 1971

If You Saw Thro' My Eyes is the 1971 album by country rock/folk rock musician Ian Matthews. It was the first of two Ian Matthews solo albums released on Vertigo, a subsidiary label of Philips/Phonogram (the second being Tigers Will Survive released in 1972). Guest musicians were former Fairport Convention bandmates Sandy Denny on vocals and keyboards, and Richard Thompson on accordion and guitar. The album also featured guitarist Tim Renwick, jazz pianist Keith Tippett and Matthews' future bandmate in Plainsong, Andy Roberts.
    The album remained unavailable on CD until 1993 when it was released as a 2-on-1 reissue on Vertigo coupled with Tigers Will Survive. The original album on its own was remastered and reissued on CD in 2003 on MK2 Records. It has since been reissued again several times, the most recent version being in 2012 on Esoteric Records.
    A live version of the album, If You Saw Thro' My Eyes - Live, recorded in October 2003 at Cambrinus Cafe in Horst, The Netherlands (where Matthews now lives), was released as the second CD of the 2-CD set Sparkler: The Best Of The Texas Recordings 1989-2004 on the Blue Rose record label. -wiki

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Track listing

(All tracks composed by Ian Matthews except where noted)
    1. "Desert Inn" – 3:29
    2. "Hearts" – 3:01
    3. "Never Ending" – 2:52
    4. "Reno Nevada" (Richard Fariña) – 4:47
    5. "Little Known" – 2:50
    6. "Hinge I" – 1:20
    7. "Hinge II" – 1:10
    8. "Southern Wind" – 3:10
    9. "It Came Without Warning" (Jerry Burnham, Allan Jacobs) – 3:45
    10. "You Couldn't Lose" – 3:35
    11. "Morgan The Pirate" (Fariña) – 6:42
    12. "Thro' My Eyes" – 2:37
    Personnel

Production

• Producer: Ian Matthews
    • Recording Engineer: Robin Black at Morgan Studios, London
    • Art Direction: Design Machine
    • Photography: Steve Hiett

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Paul J likes this.
  19. lemonade kid

[​IMG]

AllMusic Review by Brett Hartenbach

In late 1970, shortly after his band Matthews Southern Comfort hit number one in Great Britain with its version of Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock," Ian Matthews decided that he needed more creative freedom and left for a solo career.
    The subsequent album, If You Saw Thro' My Eyes, his fourth and best release since leaving Fairport Convention in 1969, was recorded and released within the next few months. It also reunited him with former Fairport bandmates Sandy Denny, who had left the band in late 1969, and Richard Thompson, who would depart by the time of this album's release. Both would bring their distinctive personalities to the proceedings without ever overwhelming
    Matthews' own vision.
    As a bandleader and songwriter,
    Matthews' growth is quite evident here, guiding a stellar cast through seven excellent new originals and three well-chosen covers (also included is the a cappella "Hinge" and its instrumental reprise). Throughout, Matthews' sweet yet evocative tenor is perfect for the material, which succeeds in its blend of British and American folk, rock, and pop. Furthermore, he once again shows a keen eye for the work of others, while also proving his prowess as a first-rate interpretive singer. A pair of songs written by the late folksinger Richard Farina -- "Reno, Nevada" (resurrected from Ian's days with Fairport) and "Morgan the Pirate" -- are given fresh, inspired readings, highlighted by Thompson, Tim Renwick, and Andy Roberts' superb guitar interplay, providing a real folk-rock edge.
    But it's the beautiful, prayer-like title track that is the record's crowning moment. Joined simply by Denny's piano and breathtaking second vocal, along with a tasteful backwards guitar interlude by Renwick,
    Matthews' quiet plea for guidance is as moving and personal a song as he's ever recorded. A number of other highlights, such as "Hearts," "Southern Wind," "It Came Without Warning," and "You Couldn't Lose," make If You Saw Thro' My Eyes one of the best efforts by a Fairport alumnus.

Paul J and oboogie like this.
  20. lemonade kid

(If You Saw) Thro' My Eyes...Ian and Sandy, a match made in heaven.

oboogie likes this.
  21. lemonade kid

Desert Inn...what a great opening track.

oboogie likes this.
  22. lemonade kid

Reno, Nevada & Morgan Pirate are two Richard Farina songs covered here that may be the best versions ever. IMHO.

Paul J and oboogie like this.
  23. lemonade kid

For those who haven't gotten this live in-studio performance of the complete album, it is well worth it!
    1985 Live At Barrymore's

oboogie likes this.
  24. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

[​IMG]
    Not to everyone's taste, most certainly not fans, but sounded offbeat at the time when it was brought out.

25. lemonade kid

I like it still, even for its "offbeat" approach, and have the original vinyl.
    Yet I am glad that this was a "one-off" approach to this rather directionless album.
    Like Neil Young, Ian's creative muse could sometimes be hit and miss, one album to the next,
    but always worth a visit for fans like us. Some really fine tracks here to discover...

I will cover that for sure as we move thru this thread...album by album.

:tiphat:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Phil12 likes this.