Have you ever been at a band's video shoot?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vamborules, Feb 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident Thread Starter

Either on purpose or inadvertently. Here's one I witnessed totally by accident (I swear)

Walking through Washington Square Park one day and there was a stage set up by the arch, cameras and big crowd..etc.

I said to myself what's going on here...got a little closer and holy hell it's Nitro!

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I froze off my tookas at the video shoot for REM’s “Drive”.

3. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Not exactly what the OP was thinking, but in 1999 I attended a Vanilla Ice concert, and during the concert they shot a promotional video for IIRC an ESPN show, I believe it was for the X Games or something like that.

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I was in Biloxi for Ratt’s filming of their “I’m In Love” video. They lip-synched the song twice at the opening after telling everyone what they were doing.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  5. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I am surprised they were able to get a crowd that size for the performance segment! They were on a tiny label. Is that Ron Jeremy driving the tour bus lol?

Doggiedogma likes this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

At least 50 or more over the years..

mdm08033 likes this.
  7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are tons of people going through that park all the time. A lot of those people are probably random bystanders like I was.

And yeah that's Ron Jeremy. Also the blonde girl is Julie McCullough who was in Playboy and also on the show Growing Pains.

What really cracks me up about this video is how it's still a couple of years before grunge but they're already trying to tone down their look, like "Hey we're just regular rock guys now."

Queezma likes this.
  8. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

Not to a video shoot but in 1993 I brought tickets for Madonna's Girlie Show and got to the arena early that day and got to see her rehearse. Was cool !! (Melbourne, Australia)

lightbulb likes this.
  9. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

I'm in there somewhere. It was a long day...

Juggsnelson likes this.
  10. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Lol yes I thought the same thing when I first saw this video I think in the summer of 1990. I remember thinking “is this the same band from the Freight Train Runnin video?”. I confess I own this CD....It’s pretty terrible...and one of the worst sounding cd’s I own.

vamborules likes this.
  11. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i have not but my sister was not at but in one of sonic youth's videos

12. frcnorth

frcnorth Forum Resident

I have. Found my way onto the set of Fleetwood Mac's session for "Little Lies" from the Tango in the Night Album.

I heard from a friend whose company was catering the event that Fleetwood Mac was in town (Santa Cruz, Ca.) for the video shoot. She wasn't working the event so I called the catering company and pretended I was a photographer and told them I had lost the directions to where the shoot was taking place. I told them where I was "staying" and they promptly provided the directions to the location. I drove out to Wilder Ranch off of Highway 1, pulled into the parking lot, and began my search for the set.

I walked down a trail for a bit and when I rounded the corner I encountered the artists and the entire crew sitting down for lunch. There must have been 50-60 people seated at various tables enjoying their food and conversation. I froze momentarily as I took in the scene and realized I had made it in. I continued walking as if I belonged and ended up standing off to the side of one of the barns being used for the video shoot.

At one point Lindsay got up from his table and began the walk over to his trailer. I took the opportunity to approach him and say hi. He was very gracious and we talked for a couple of minutes. After we parted, I walked back towards the barn. To my surprise, no one paid me any mind.

After a few minutes Stevie and Christine walked over to the barn and went inside. I got to watch the crew set up the scene and for the next 20-30 minutes watched them perform parts of the song. It was awesome. While watching through one of the barn windows a member of the crew came up to me and said "you shouldn't be here, right?" I told him that he was correct and awaited his next step, which I was sure was a justified removal from the set. Nope. He said that he noticed when I came in, had been watching me, and could appreciate my interest in what was going on. He told me I could stay and promptly left me alone.

I stayed another 20 minutes and then happily went back home. A few years ago, I bought the deluxe edition of Tango in the Night. Looking through the book that is part of the set I saw a very familiar scene. Multiple pictures of the location at Wilder Ranch, including one of Lindsay alone in the suit he was wearing when I spoke to him. What I saw that day had captured by the real photographer, not the one I was pretending to be.

13. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Many, but one of my favorites was the Bangles' Be With You.

Juggsnelson and lightbulb like this.
  14. georgespigott

georgespigott You fill me with inertia.

I was an extra in this Mick Jagger video. But I only remember him on stage, not dancing amongst us.

April Snow and JuanTCB like this.
  15. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I may have witnessed part of the shoot for Marky Mark's "Wildside", a scene of cheerleaders in bleachers. I've been seeking confirmation of this since 1991 but the location and time make sense. Please contain your jealousy.

16. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

So was I , still have the promo Hat they gave away. I had a chance to talk to them in between takes and got the Lyric sheet signed by Mike and Peter saying they were sorry that they were not going out on tour for the album.

17. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I was at a video shoot for David Bowie’s “Hallo Spaceboy”, filmed after a gig at the Birmingham NEC, 13 December 1995. They ended up not using the footage, as they went with the Pet Shop Boys’ reimagining of the song instead.

Also, a couple of video clips from Paris 1999, which were used on a Bowie CD single, if that counts.

Also been present at a fair number of television recordings (Later ... with Jools Holland, TFI Friday, etc.), but that’s a slightly different question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.