The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

IMHO a really cool version of Bird Song from this show.

2. trd

trd Forum Resident

Nah, gone are the days when the ox sells out

3. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

4. notesofachord

You gotta love The Ox.

[​IMG]

5. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Oh yes !! Apologize in advance for doing this on the Dead thread, but having some fine wine and ganja this evening, I simply can't resist this post from @notesofachord in responding as it brings me back to a transforming evening of my life. It was October 1969. Had tickets with my friends in the first few rows right center balcony. While I experimented a few times with what was presented as Mesc., this was my first night of doing acid and the only one of my friends to drop. That's a whole other story. The first set was totally chaotic. Walls were literally melting as they ran through Magic Bus, My Generation, I can see for miles, etc. etc. They took a break, thank goodness and somehow, blessed with a center I can only attribute to an incredibly loving family, was able to collect myself and get centered. From the moment they took the stage again for the last set, opened with Overture and what was all of Tommy, I was forever moved in a way that would define my relationship with music and spirituality for rest of my life. Only 15 1/2 at the time, but "this boy would be a boy no more, young, but not a child". I had seen The Who a year prior at the Fillmore, but this was something entirely different :yikes:

Zafu

6. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

If anybody tries to give you sh#t for going off topic, this is my fault...

7. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Yeah, this show more than lives up to its reputation. I've always been a little wary of the whole "guest performer" thing (and not just where the GD are concerned), but Bird Song and the whole second set with Marsalis really blew me away. It's just great music.

Wrapped up 3/30/90 this evening with that wonderful Attics. A very fine show all around, with yet another version of that @US Blues fave Picasso Moon, which I'd never much cared for, but this spring 90 tour has turned me into a fan.

I'll probably start in on the final three shows in Atlanta sometime over the weekend. Heading to Mexico tomorrow for a little winter getaway. Currently trying to pare down an 8 hr 28 min 76 playlist to get myself even more pumped for the June box -- 4 hrs would be a pretty ideal length, but there are so many great segments on the existing official releases. Oh well, it's a great way to put off packing.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Fine, you're right. And her name is Betty Cantor, not 'Berry' which I typed earlier. It's been a looooooong day. Here, my Google-Fu is still strong: Raising The Dead

9. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I really like the 2nd set here and especially the Knockin' On Heaven's Door encore.

10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

3/30/90 got me on the bus. Still a sentimental favorite.

11. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Thanks for the link. Interesting article. Sucks they weren’t able to get Betty compensation for her work (I would like to know more about why, when that was originally a goal, they weren’t). I’m glad the tapes are back, but that does leave a bitter taste knowing Rhino and the Dead organization aren’t giving her a fair cut.

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

No kidding. What a great run of shows (and tour), and two of my biggest complaints among all of the great releases is 1) the butchering of 3/24/90 by slicing and dicing it across 4 releases (although at least all of Set II is on Dozin'), and 2) failure to use multi-tracks they had and instead using the not-so-great-with-Garcia-way-too-low-in-the-mix Cutler two track on the fly mixes for the first Spring '90 box. What a huge couple of mistakes, and they compound each other because hearing the 3/24/90 Loser in Cutler two-track sucks compared to what could have been. The second Spring box sounds spectacular, and it's a shame we don't have the whole tour in that quality. Arrgh. Rant over. Anyway, I was at all 3 Albany shows and although the first night is easily my favorite, all three were fantastic.

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

We Can Run and Samba in the Rain are two of the biggest turds in the GD songbook punchbowl, but I would take Samba over We Can Run as well. At least the lyrics are by Hunter, they don't hit you over the head, and musically it's not so bad. Vince's singing makes me cringe, though.

rockinlazys, uzn007, zephyr25 and 5 others like this.
  14. notesofachord

I love how skronky and out-there this 3/29/90 Dark Star gets. Branford keeps right up with the weirdness too.

johnnypaddock, Zafu, SteveFff and 9 others like this.
  15. notesofachord

Branford is great during Space too.

16. jamiehowarth

jamiehowarth Senior Member

No, that's the basis of it. Speed/time/pitch correction are all facets of the same issue - wow and flutter are speed issues.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis, trd and 3 others like this.
  17. jamiehowarth

Budget.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis, trd and 4 others like this.
  18. jamiehowarth

Jeffrey Norman and Dave Glasser make them sound good, real talented pros.

19. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

Spring ‘90 marked my first pilgrimage to The Omni, which I then never missed til switching coasts, in May ‘95. Nothing beat that feeling of rolling into Atlanta in the spring.

(The Branford NYE show is a good one too. Headphones and Kesey’s “mumbo in the jumbo, it’s all coming down” rant is as funny to me now as it was then.)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  20. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Listened to 11/21/73 this morning. Great show. Highlights includes Me And My Uncle, Sugaree, Jack Straw, Here Comes Sunshine and Weather Report Suite. One of my fave versions of Looks Like Rain is also featured on this show, as well as a perfect Dire Wolf.

Crispy Rob, Zafu, trd and 3 others like this.
  21. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Andrew Acker
    Jeffrey Butler
    Prescott Carter
    Charles Dadswell

22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

So...a range of listening this week:

1. The June ‘75 Winterland show, courtesy of an audience recording that is a work of art. @rbbert is it yours? Someone near the taper keeps telling “Rob” to pause the tape, flip the tape, etc. To whoever recorded it, thank you. You captured beautiful music in a beautiful show. These ‘75 shows are really something. It’s a bit misleading to think that they only played four shows and did nothing in between. The studio tapes suggest they were working together all the time in the studio, when Jerry wasn’t travelling the country with Legion Of Mary (and then the JGB after July). Even so, for a band off the road for such a long time for the first time in a long time, it’s remarkable how tight and creative they are in the first two shows of the year. A delightful Crazy Fingers to open and the Help>Slipknot>Franklin’s debut to close the first set. I’ll listen to the second set tonight.

2. GarciaLive 12/23 January ‘73. Jerry Garcia playing Alligator in early ‘73, recorded to multi-track? Yes please. I can’t believe this hasn’t been mentioned around here. This is relatively early Merl and Jerry stuff and it is fascinating. It has a very different complexion from later Merl and Jerry stuff for two big reasons - there’s no Martin Fierro and there is a virtual lead vocalist, Sarah Fulcher. Jerry and Merl also sing but having a dedicated female singer who is often the sole or lead singer changes the emphasis of the band. She sings a lot of improvised words and sounds and isn’t a conventional lead singer. She also contributes some original songs. I’m still working my way through the first set but was in raptures listening to a 34 minute The System>Honey Chile. Jerry is on the money (honey) in this show.

Anyone know why this multi-track exists? An early attempt to make a live album, that was superseded by the Keystone recordings in July?

3. King Crimson/tapes from the April ‘73 European tour. These guys weren’t bad either.

23. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

Had a good listen to the Fillmore East 2/11/69 double CD into the early hours of this morning. I do love primal Dead, but what I most like about this one is the restringing pause at the end of disc one, so plenty of time to get to the stop button before Hey Jude starts :)

Crispy Rob, uzn007, laf848 and 5 others like this.
  24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Send lawyers, guns, and money...