Things Hollywood has been doing wrong for years.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Voice Actor Credits in animated television shows and movies

Although this has become less of an issue in recent years since many shows now do provide individual voice actor credits, one thing that always has irritated me is when a movie/TV show just credits the voice actors in a large group rather than provide voice actor credits where they list who provided the voice for specific characters.

2. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Voice actors often do more than one part in the same show, so maybe they think it'd spoil some kind of illusion.

3. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

My example, and it just happened to me five minutes ago.

I was expected, but it still startled my mother-in-law.

4. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

Look out for that stack of obviously empty cardboard boxes!

Dudley Morris and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

...or how when all the lights go off, they do it in sequence, rather than all at once. I love the film Yesterday, but when all the power in the world went off, it did so in groups, over several seconds in each place. The Eiffel Tower went off in three or four groups.

6. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I can understand that, especially with a show like Dragonball Z where one voice actor (Christopher R. Sabat) does so many regular voices that in some scenes with several characters he is doing all of the voices. Still, while some of the voices are similar he makes each voice distinctive.

More impressive to me is someone who changes their voice so much between roles that you are surprised when you find out the same person voiced both characters. An example of this in the series Bleach where two characters (Ganju Shiiba and Sosuke Aisen) voiced by the same man (Kyle Hebert) sound so different that it would be like Hulk Hogan and Jean-Luc Picard being voiced by the same person.

7. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Yep, Matt Damon's perfect teeth pulled me right out of Saving Private Ryan. I'm not kidding - totally distracting.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  8. While Matt Damon's teeth didn't pull me out of Saving Private Ryan, I totally follow you. There are many, many folks who had good teeth like that in the 1940s; nevertheless, the principle applies, right? It's the shows that are set in older times that pull me out a bit. Like 1917, the recent film. The two main characters were almost too pretty, especially the "brother," which didn't ring right. I mean, the Brits were notorious for bad teeth all the way until the 1960s, pretty much. During the Great War, even more so if you look at vintage film and photos.

I'm sick of "Hollywood Handsome" in general, to the point where I won't even watch a show, no matter how celebrated, if most, or all, of the actors look unrealistic to reality. Something like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are great examples of good casting. Pinkman and Kim are good looking, but that's about it. The leads, Bryan Cranston and Bob Odenkirk, are pretty ordinary. I like that.

9. aroney

Agreed. And yeah, 1917 was similar, but I just wasn't as pulled into that story as much as I was when I first saw SPR.

It wasn't just Damon's perfectly aligned teeth, it was also how clean and shiny they were. Totally unrealistic. In those days a lot of people didn't even brush at all, let alone in the middle of a combat zone.

Had they just dialed the sparkle back a little, dirtied 'em up - it would have helped.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Female cops with low hanging blouses,I don't think that real female cops wear em that way.

11. aroney

...or they just ask for a "beer". NEVER a specific type or brand.

Go to any real bar anywhere on the planet and the barkeep will just look at you like WTF?

Karnak, Chris DeVoe and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. aroney

The use over of "Over and Out" in military, or military type, communications. Especially annoying in war films.

It's either one or the other - NOT both.

Over = I'm done speaking, now it's your turn.

Out = Communication on my end is done - like saying goodbye in military speak.

SandAndGlass, EVOLVIST and Borgia like this.
  13. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

on that particular point, i am totally willing to suspend my disbelief.

Chris DeVoe and TheVU like this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

In Mrs. Doubtfire they show Robin Williams recording his voiceover dialogue for an animated character over finished animation which is very much not how it's done. I guess they did it to make the scene more visually interesting.

15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Usually, it's a pallet full of empty boxes that gets hit.

16. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

The color of blood. Blood exposed to oxygen is not bright red or crimson, it's more brick or burgundy.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  17. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

For the last 10-15 years, most mainstream movie blood is almost black.

18. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

I was just watching Bad Boys on tv, which made me think of it. The ending scene, the blood on the bad guy's face was almost orange.

19. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Dogs which understand and obey whole English sentences.

I blame it all on Lassie. I've owned dogs which understood a word, a tone of voice, or a vocal inflection that goes up or down. But the problem is Lassie barking while running up to her owner. Lassie stops barking when Mrs. Martin - June Lockhart - asks just the right question. Soon we all understand that Timmy is trapped in the old mine. The dog told us. Mrs. Martin tells Lassie to go get Mr. Martin and lead father to the mine and Timmy. Of course the dog does just that. She's Lassie.

Nowadays, a super intelligent dog is used mostly in TV shows for comic relief. The dog delivers the punchline to the joke with a growl, a look, walking off stage or even taking the blame for farting. Who knew dogs have such a great sense of humor that they will bury their head in false shame when being tasked for what was otherwise a human fart?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  20. Well, fresh blood exposed to oxygen is most definitely a gleamy red, yet gets a darker hue, even when fresh, when concentrated in one area. A mass of blood, coagulated, can take on an almost black appearance.

Now, thin amounts of blood, especially after a couple hours, you're correct; it has that dull brick color, especially on clothing, but that pool of blood, if it sits there for a long time, it's going to turn pretty close to black. So, it all depends on the concentration, how long it sits and how much there is.

When you get your blood drawn it's red, though. A lighted room shows it brighter. It has a sheen.

SandAndGlass and Johnny Action like this.
  21. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

[​IMG]

22. Another thing. Hand grenades in movies. They do not explode in a big ball of flames. There's just enough charge in a grenade to fragment the casing and the wire inside, scattering it with force. You're not going to throw it at a car and make the car explode, killing 10 people in the process. :rolleyes:

But a lot of cars explode in Hollywood, right? It's BS. War movies especially are full of too many explosions.

23. Making movies but they’ll get it right sooner or later.

24. The blood color issue-that was related to ratings boards and censors. Less realistic the better.

25. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

If Hollywood ever stopped doing all of the things that you guys complain that they get wrong, none of you would ever go see a movie again. You’d be complaining about how dull and boring they are.