Iain Matthews Appreciation Thread--solo, album by album + track by track (pg. 18)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Has Matthews' older work ever been put on cd?

2. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Here is a nice article and retrospective of Iain's life in music...

The Search for Iain Matthews - Mastering the Art of Obscurity

Dave Thompson
    Jan 20, 2015

The art of obscurity… because it is an art… is one that few artists can be said to practice with true enthusiasm. Many have obscurity thrust upon them, and you can hear them grumble about it all career-long. Others snatch it from the jaws of victory, and wear it like a hair shirt.

Then there’s Iain Matthews, who conjured it up as an album title because, he smiles, it fits. And because it’s less of a downer than his original title. “I considered calling it The Art of Fading Away, but it felt too negative...."

The Search for Iain Matthews - Mastering the Art of Obscurity - Goldmine Magazine: Record Collector & Music Memorabilia

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Phil12 likes this.
  3. lemonade kid

Yes. Many. Many are out of print though. (Yes, but it may take some searching, if you mean the material we are into at the moment - 1970's and soon to be 1980's). Some may be hard to find -- some are still available as twofers on amazon. Go to Amazon and just type in Ian Matthews...there's a ton of the old stuff on CD it seems.

Have you had the pleasure to see Iain live in the Netherlands?

Phil12 likes this.
  4. lemonade kid

Thirty-five various albums from Mathews all came up on Amazon Music. when I searched just now..mostly on CD

5. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Nope. But I know that he has been living for quite a few years here now.

6. lemonade kid

Love your avatar--and love that Beach Boys album! Holland.

Phil12 likes this.
  7. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I have the second and third southern comfort albums. Love them both.

lemonade kid likes this.
  8. lemonade kid

I think the second and third are my favorites, though I wouldn't trade my original Decca of their first...side one is a real pleaser, side two falls of a bit, but great stuff.

9. lemonade kid

www.iainmatthews.nl

5) Tigers Will Survive

Another beautiful album on Vertigo

[​IMG]

AllMusic Review by Brett Hartenbach

Tigers Will Survive, Ian Matthews' second release of 1971, and fifth in less than three years, continues the Anglo-American folk-rock that he began in 1968 with Fairport Convention.

Following his departure from the band in early 1969, Matthews' style quickly veered from the British traditional direction that Fairport was headed, gravitating more toward the American singer/songwriter scene that was the source for much of the group's material in their early days, keeping him closer to the mid-Atlantic mix of What We Did on Our Holidays (his last record with the band). If You Saw Thro' My Eyes, his previous album, reunited him with members of his old band, as well as others from the revolving Fairport/Fotheringay cast, but this time out, with the exception of Richard Thompson's accordion on a couple of tunes (credited as Woolfe J. Flywheel), he opts for the backing of the English rock band Quiver.

And while it may lack some of the cohesive personality of its predecessor, Tigers Will Survive still shares its primarily acoustic sound, augmented by a strong rhythm section and touches of electric guitar. Also, as was the case with that album, the toughest moment is courtesy of Richard Farina, whose "House of Unamerican Blues Activity Dream" brings an edginess and anger to Matthews' characteristically pretty and reflective tone, though his self-penned title track is close behind. Elsewhere, the beautiful "Morning Song" and Phil Spector's "Da Do Ron Ron" (without a change in gender) are high points for Ian Matthews, the songwriter and interpreter, respectively.

The former is among the two or three best songs he'd written, while the latter, a wonderful a cappella rendition of the Crystals' classic, bolstered only by hand claps, brings a lightness and energy to the record. Tigers Will Survive, though just a rung below If You Saw Thro' My Eyes, is another fine effort for Matthews. The two recordings were later teamed together on one CD.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  10. lemonade kid

[​IMG]

1971 found former Fairport Convention lead singer Ian Matthews not only extremely prolific but surprisingly consistent. Tigers Will Survive, originally released on Vertigo in November of that year, is no exception. Featuring backing from British band Quiver (which included Bruce Thomas, later of the Attractions, and Tim Renwick, who played with David Bowie among others). Tigers Will Survive, as was Matthews' style, is a brilliant collection of originals and choice covers (including Eric Andersen's classic Close The Door Lightly When You Go and an a cappella version of The Crystals' Da Doo Ron Ron. Mellow folk-rock jams of the highest order. -Amazon

oboogie likes this.
  11. lemonade kid

...Tigers Will Survive

rd1 and oboogie like this.
  12. lemonade kid

The Only Dancer

rd1 and oboogie like this.
  13. lemonade kid

Right Before My Eyes (Peter Lewis)...nice cover. Great album.

Juggsnelson and oboogie like this.
  14. lemonade kid

Midnight On The Water...a beautiful Matthews penned song

oboogie likes this.
  15. lemonade kid

16. lemonade kid

[​IMG]

Signed...I wish I had it.

oboogie likes this.
  17. lemonade kid

18. lemonade kid

Not sure if there are tickets still but Iain will be appearing here with a host of thousands, or so it seems! Wish I could be there!
    Carla Olson and Iain are two I would dearly like to see.

[​IMG]

oboogie likes this.
  19. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

I prefer this version of “Please Be My Friend” over the previously released version on “Matthews’ Southern Comfort”.

klaatuhf and lemonade kid like this.
  20. lemonade kid

By far, this is beautiful...Iain revisits many songs over the years and they just get better and better.

BlairH and oboogie like this.
  21. reg slade

reg slade Forum Resident

nope

22. lemonade kid

The Watch is a beautiful song but the sobbing is disturbing to put it lightly...too up front near the end.

BlairH and oboogie like this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

have you heard it?

24. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

His albums and CDs are so expensive in the uk.

25. lemonade kid

Bummer. It is good to know that Iain is considered collectible there, but too bad if that makes him out of the reach of many who might otherwise become real fans.

I'm not sure about here...I was lucky to get all his vinyl through "Walking A Changing Line" 20 years ago for $5-$10 each....all near mint originals with a couple white label promos too (from a friend who runs a vinyl store). Probably rare but not high priced as he is likely less well know over here than his native UK.

This is a treasure I have:

[​IMG]

oboogie likes this.