Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

And this:

Eigenvector likes this.
  2. George P

This, along with the two preceding videos, was mentioned in the liner notes to the new set of Beethoven sonatas by Lifschitz:

Daedalus likes this.
  3. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

At the office. Nice warm recording from 1965.[​IMG]

Marzz likes this.
  4. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

A wonderful collection.
    I seem to have a lot of Beethoven on Philips.

George P likes this.
  5. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

These are very interesting! I had to wait till I got home to watch them. Thanks for finding and posting these videos!

George P likes this.
  6. George P

My pleasure. I am really enjoying them. I love how well and how confidently the pianist speaks about the music. Yesterday I listened to the second disc from his box set (Op. 10) and enjoyed that as much as the first.

Eigenvector likes this.
  7. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have been on a Brandenburg Concertos kick lately. The only recording I have is the Dunedin Consort on Linn SACD, which I actually discovered on this thread a few years ago! I wanted to get another recording, something with a different flavor on 'modern' instruments. I am not necessarily a fan of period performance practice on period instruments. I did some research and listened online, and ended up taking a shot and ordering a Japanese SACD of Carl Schuricht and the Zurich Baroque Ensemble from 1966. I listened to a lot of it on youtube and for some reason just really enjoyed it. Is anybody familiar with this recording of the Brandenburg Concertos and can share their opinion on it?

8. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I haven’t heard the Schuricht, but for a modern instrument, non-HIP Brandenburg I like Britten conducting the English Chamber Orchestra. They sound gorgeous and imo Britten has a special way as a conductor.

Åke Bergvall likes this.
  9. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Thanks for that. Damn I think I noticed the Britten once as I was searching around online, but for some reason did not explore it.

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  10. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

[​IMG]
    I find Zinman's recordings of Richard Strauss very good.

Strauss: Sinfonia Domestica; Parergon
    David Zinman
    Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich
    Arte Nova, 2003

George P likes this.
  11. George P

[​IMG]

I listened to CD 03 from Lifschitz's set over the last few days. I listened to it twice because the first time it didn't click for me like the first two discs did. His playing continues to be unique, but on CD 03 the (slower than usual) tempos and (at times, odd) phrasing don't work for me as well as they did for his first two discs. I enjoyed his Op. 7 the most on the disc, but his Pathetique sonata was disappointing. I plan to listen to more of the set later in the week.

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

13. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Enjoying these two piano discs this morning:

[​IMG]
    Feldman / Crumb: Works for piano. Steven Osborne, Hyperion.

The last non-bonus disc of this set, sonatas 30 - 32:
    [​IMG]
    Beethoven: Die Klaviersonaten, Paul Badura-Skoda, Gramola. Recorded in 1969-70 on a modern Bösendorfer.

George P likes this.
  14. George P

How's the sound on this one, @crispi? I only have the original CD.

15. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I can only compare it to the standard remaster. The AP sounds a bit “thicker” and warmer. Both are nice, though.

16. George P

17. crispi

No, I actually mean the set of remasters done at Soundmirror Inc., the ones with SACD versions and the covers with the shelf of LPs spines as a background. See, I’m not fluent in RCA stuff, so I have no idea what I’m talking about. Maybe the tracks on this Reiner Sound album were scattered among different releases on that remaster campaign? If yes, then it’s those individual tracks I was comparing it to. If not, please ignore me :)

18. George P

I wrote a post on Chopin recommendations earlier in the thread that I edited/updated for someone on another forum, so I figured I'd post it here:

Chopin works, pianists and recordings that I enjoy - I have focused on genres that I most enjoy by the composer and within each genre I focus only on complete recordings.

Ashkenazy does splendidly with the Etudes, one of the very best, in fact. He has an earlier set on Melodiya that many people praise, but I find the Decca recording to be one of his best. Pollini's technical prowess is put to superb use in his DG recording of the etudes, though I frequently miss the poetry and beauty that is lacking in his recording. Also impressive is the explosive recording of the Etudes by Gavrilov on Seraphim/EMI. And for a modern recording performed in a manner which couldn't be further from the modern style, I like Kemal Gekic. He is a superb pianist, who had already done a stellar recording of the Liszt Transcendental Etudes before later moving onto the complete Chopin etudes.

Arrau's Nocturnes were my first and still one of my favorites. His playing is gorgeous, with loving care given to every note he plays. The Philips sound is excellent as well. Maria Tipo is excellent as well, well worth seeking out on an OOP EMI 2CD set. Another Maria (Joao Pires) is more dynamic and expressive than anyone that I have heard. I don't listen to her Nocturnes very often, but they are expressive, kind of an early evening Nocturnes, if you will. Moravec's set has been justly praised by just about everyone. His beautiful tone and poetic style makes for some great listening. I recommend the original mastering on a Nonesuch 2CD set, which was mastered by the original producer. Though I am not normally a fan of Ciccolini, I find his set of Nocturnes to be absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, they are on an OOP Cascavelle CD set. Rubinstein has three full sets, one from the 30s (my personal favorite by him, mastered by the great Ward Marston and coupled with the 2 concerti with Barbirolli), one from 1949-50 (coupled with the 4 Scherzi) and a stereo version that gets recommended a lot, IMO more because the sound is very good compared to the two earlier sets. Another great OOP set is Wasowski, recorded in 1988 in DDD sound. His is a slower, more introspective take on these pieces that works wonderfully. I have a number of other sets of Nocturnes that I would recommend, but not as a first choice. Ciani's set on DG is performed live. I haven't really got to know the set yet, but I plan to listen to it more, as it comes very highly recommended by those I trust. Weissenberg on an OOP EMI twofer is another enjoyable set, which is a surprise to me, as I wouldn't expect his style to gel with the composer's so well. The Nocturnes are probably my favorite piano works and I am always eager to hear pianists play them, for I find that they are one of those works that people seem to usually play well. I have yet to hear a terrible set of Nocturnes. I guess the pianists love them as much as I do.

For the Mazurkas, Wasowski on Concord Concerto has a wonderful, but now OOP set that I would grab if you see it. It pops up on amazon from time to time. Another pianist I like in this repertoire is Luisada on DG. In fact, I didn't even like these works until I heard him play them. Luisada's is OOP as well, but available on amazon when I last checked. And last but not least, Rubinstein's two mono sets are endlessly imaginative. I enjoy them every time I play them. As to be expected, the second mono set has better sound than the first.

The Ballades are another favorite of mine by Chopin. For these, there are a lot of great recordings. A number of years ago I did a survey of a few dozen sets of these works and I arrived at two favorites. Moravec’s Ballades featured slow tempos, dark piano sound, solid technique and sumptuous piano tone, which made for some special readings of these four works. His playing lacked some of Gavrilov and Zimerman’s drama, but it certainly wasn’t boring by any means. In fact, his set would be my favorite if it weren’t for the very special live recording by Maria Tipo. Her intensity and beautiful tone throughout has to be heard to believed. Considering that all of the above performances were studio creations and therefore likely benefited from editing and retakes, her achievement is particularly impressive. The sound of her piano seemed a bit out of tune in the first Ballade, but this annoyance quickly faded into the background as she continued. She was at her best in the third and fourth Ballades, where she played with all the requisite power, along with that special beauty I look for in my Chopin. This OOP Ermitage CD is well worth seeking out. Luckily, the Moravec Ballades remain in print and at budget price.

Speaking of Zimerman, I recently got his set of the Concertos with the Polish Festival Orchestra. The 1999 sound and the incredible performance has made me forget any other version I own. I really think it's that good. And the sound is lovely as well.

The Scherzos were never a big favorite for me, but Pogorelich's DG recording is great. It came highly recommended and I can see why. His technical facility and romantic style fits these works like a glove.

I have collected many recordings of the Preludes. Very few of them seem to get all or even most of the 24 right, IMO. As with the Ballades, I did a survey of over a few dozen recordings of this work (the 24 preludes comprise one opus) and found three recordings to stand out from the crowd: 1. Sokolov (Naive)- An epic performance, with the best finale I have heard. Richter never recorded the complete preludes, but I imagine this is how it would sound if he had. A unique and powerful performance. 2. Moravec (Supraphon)- I had previously thought the much rarer, OOP VAI preludes were better than these, but after comparing them side by side, these are the clear winner. The piano tone is clearer and the playing is alternately more beautiful and more exciting. Tempos here are more common than many of Sokolov's choices. 3. Lucchesini (EMI) - Definitely a surprise for me, as this one never seems to get mentioned anywhere. However, he is remarkably consistent throughout. The recorded sound is excellent and he plays with great sensitivity and clarity. The faster preludes do not disappoint either. As an aside, I highly rate his complete Beethoven sonatas, recorded live on Stradivarius.

The Waltzes are not a favorite of mine, but if I was going to listen to them I would likely reach for Arrau or Rubinstein. Unlike the Nocturnes and Mazurkas, Rubinstein only recorded a set these works once, in 1953.

The Polonaises are also not a favorite of mine, but I'd listen to Cherkassky on DG or perhaps one of the mono Rubinstein sets.

For a set of the three Piano Sonatas, Andsnes on Virgin is excellent. You get all three sonatas and some Mazurkas and Etudes as well. When I studied the second sonata in college I needed to choose a recording to reference in my paper. After comparing him and Rubinstein, I chose the former. Great youthful playing here in nice 1992 sound.

For Historical performances of Chopin, I strongly recommend two pianists - Cortot and Rosenthal. Cortot's are sensitive, poetic performances that make one easily forget about any technical limitations that the pianist had. People don't play the piano like this anymore and it is for this reason that these performances are even more special. If I could go back in time and hear just one Chopin recital, it would be one of Cortot's. Rosenthal also had a special way with Chopin's music. His teacher was a student of Chopin's and his recordings are stunning. They have appeared on Pearl CDs, Biddulph CDs and APR, the latter is still in print, in a box of his complete recordings, all of which are a treasure. Transfers were by Ward Marston.

19. crispi

Totally agree on the sound. They've managed to find the exact right balance between spaciousness and intimacy. I feel many of the more modern Nocturnes recordings overdo the hall reverberation in thinking that it adds to the atmosphere when in fact it just makes everything sound mushy. You need intimacy for these kinds of pieces—I think they belong in a quiet living room setting (as many would play them back in Chopin's days) much more than in a big concert hall.

You should give Alice Sara Ott a try with the Waltzes. Hers is a very individualistic approach akin to pianists from the first half of the 20th century and the risks she takes are all successful, in my view.

George P likes this.
  20. George P

Exactly! That's my criticism of Pires's Nocturnes, it big and bold, very concert-hall.

Thanks, if I decide to get more Waltzes, will keep hers in mind.

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but for what it's worth, while the sonatas are not my favorite Chopin, I consider Percy Grainger's account from the dawn of the electric recording era (June 1925) to be the one to have for no. 3, the one I like best.

George P likes this.
  22. George P

Yes, I have those on a Biddulph CD, transfers by Mark Obert-Thorn. It's high time I gave it a spin.

I am still listening through the Lipschitz Beethoven piano sonata set for the first time. I am finding a bit more ups and downs in the set than I expected (or wanted.) But boy when he is on, he is as good as anyone, tonight I am listening to the disc that has Op. 78, 79, 81a, 90 and 101. His Op. 78 is the best I have heard.

23. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I have an RCA mono LP (LM-1892) of Rubinstein performing the Chopin Waltzes, which is dated "1955." Perhaps this is the 1953 recording you mentioned and my copy is a repress... I don't know. But I have a second recording of the Waltzes that Rubinstein recorded in the '60s. It was issued in a box, with a single LP and 12-page booklet dated "1964." (I bought it new in 1971 -- records stayed in print longer in those days.) Picture of the box cover below:

[​IMG]

And a picture of the recording session (taken from the 12-page booklet):

[​IMG]

I wrote about this in another blog: "According to the text, Rubinstein recorded the entire album in one evening. Although rare for studio recordings, I think it adds to the consistency, and certainly spontaneity, of interpretation that comes through in his performance of the 14 waltzes."

My favorite recording of the Waltzes remains Brailowsky's 1960 Columbia stereo LP:

[​IMG]

...with Arrau's 1980 Philips LP a close second.

[​IMG]

Eigenvector, J.A.W. and George P like this.
  24. George P

Thanks for clarifying. I think what I meant was it was his only mono set.

25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Ahh... I see. Yes, I believe that was Rubinstein's only mono set.
    I also have a Brailowsky mono recording of the Waltzes-- on RCA (LM-1082), but undated. I still prefer his later stereo set.
    Sometimes (and I stress sometimes) what these older guys give up in technical prowess, they gain in poetic insight.

George P likes this.