2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As noted, it's a spindle hole, just a spindle hole for dedicated 45 players.

And original UK 45s didn't just have the small spindle holes, they normally had push-out centers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Yes, it did, just not by The Beatles:

[​IMG]

jmxw and drum_cas like this.
  3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I don't know why but I find these sexy :winkgrin:

4. Quiverbow

Quiverbow Forum Resident

Those still have original small spindle holes. As far as I'm aware,USA singles didn't come like that.

john lennonist likes this.
  5. Quiverbow

Quiverbow Forum Resident

The centre has been pushed out. It didn't come like that originally. You can see where the centre has been pushed out. They did that for juke boxes.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, they had push-out centers.

Every copy I’ve seen has the large hole.

Dean R likes this.
  7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

'The large hole' was created by RCA as a way to make a unique, proprietary system for 45s. RCA invented the 45. It was originally designed to be used on their own, proprietary changers. The 45 was RCA's response to Columbia Records, which invented the LP (or long player). Columbia's LP (first produced commercially in 1949). With the changer, it was RCA's own way of being able to play longer format records, such as classical music. There'd be a small interruption between discs (and if you had 3 discs, you'd have side 1 paired with side 6, 2 paired with 5, and 3 with 4).

Some of the world adopted the RCA hole. Some of the world did not, and kept with the standard small hole.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. Hence, the plethora of these things scattered around every American’s turntable in the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s:

[​IMG]

john lennonist and jmxw like this.
  9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

What is that? It looks vaguely like something from Pablo Picasso's Cubist period. Or is that by Salvadore Dali??

Billy Budapest likes this.
  10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't think I've ever actually seen one of those in the wild. Since I was a kid we/I always just had *one* that stayed with the turntable.

[​IMG]

Billy Budapest and Ken Wood like this.
  11. Collect 'em all!

[​IMG]

12. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

UK polydor pressings often had the large centre. If I remember correctly from my Atlantic collecting years from 1968 until about 1971 (although some records not pressed at their usual plant would sometimes still have the solid centre

NumberEight likes this.
  13. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

14. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I showed it to my wife and I knew what would happen, she ordered one for herself

Electric Sydney likes this.
  15. NumberEight

Absolutely not in this case. Track Records issued many singles (Who, Hendrix, etc.) around this time with a large centre hole fitted with an adaptor (and a more stylish adaptor than most of us had seen up to that point). I bought my copies of All Along The Watchtower and Crosstown Traffic new in my local record shop (Tansley & Cooke in Haywards Heath), and that’s exactly how they came.

If you’d bought Hendrix singles in the UK in 1968-69, you’d have had the exact same experience (pun not intended, but it’ll do).

Dean R likes this.
  16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I used to have a bunch of those

17. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

[​IMG]

18. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

I mentioned above that it was something that happened to all Polydor records at this time - and Philips I think, so I'm guessing it was something to do with their pressing plant - but any chance of a description of the adapter. I'm nerdy like that!

NumberEight likes this.
  19. NumberEight

It’s the one shown in my post 6777. It sticks out like a sore thumb (er, in a good way) in this lot:

[​IMG]

20. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident

I have finally played both sides of the 23 singles in this set, and I pleased to say there was not a single skip or pop or any warped discs in the set.
    I placed an order direct from Universal at the beginning of December, only to be told there were "production delays" with the set and that it would ship at the end of January, which it did.
    I don't know if that means they did a further pressing, but I am happy with my $128 spent, despite not being crazy with the foreign sleeves and labels.

TC

DK Pete likes this.
  21. I used to see the yellow things lying around like crazy. I remember them being in boxes at the counters in record stores. I think they were free. Memory is hazy.

I don’t remember if my old Dual had a factory adapter. My Longines Symphonette certainly did not and my grade schooler self had to use the yellow things. My Denon purchased later in the 80’s (1988 or so) came with a black plastic one of decent but not great quality.

22. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Speaking of these adapters, one of my favorite YouTubers, Techmoan did a little video on trying to "dink" some records, pretty funny.

23. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

I have a Dual and it has an adapter with a Dual logo on it.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  24. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

I presume third row down, second from right - which I've found in numerous UK singles. Is that correct?

25. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

That's just a breakout part, not an adapter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.