Better Call Saul - Season Four Discussion & Digestion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

This may be the only time we ever see that Mike had anything close to a friend. :(

Mr. H, GentleSenator and RayS like this.
  2. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

And yet, pulling the trigger himself shows a certain amount of humanitas on Mike's part, when he allowed Werner to be with the stars. We just rewatched that scene last night, and that was some incredible writing.

Shawn, formu_la, MikeInFla and 3 others like this.
  3. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Werner’s death is without a doubt one of the most important things to happen thus far in the story line. Mike will never be the same again and he knows it. I’m glad they gave that part of the story so much time and care.

Shawn, MikeInFla and RayS like this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Mike’s true character was revealed to me when he used the same water hose he stopped the truck with and ultimately cost an innocent person their life, for his grand daughter to use on her flower bed.

Mike is the coolest, but very flawed and dark character. I like Mike, but he is a bad guy.

5. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  6. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Ah ha! This is exactly what spurred my questions. Trust! I'm not sure the show stuck to its own logic.

See, I'm a drug kingpin, Gus Fring, and I need an underground meth super lab built. I go through all of the trouble to fly in an engineer, blindfold him, and truck him to another location to give me a bid on said lab. I do this twice. The first guy doesn't pass the test, the second guy does.

I do this because it must be a secret.

Now, before I even have the first engineer fly in, I'm asking myself, how do I make sure whomever I chose can keep a secret? Because in reality, whether my guy let's something slip in Albuquerque or Baden-Baden, it's the same difference; something has leaked and I could potentially be screwed...especially if he knows my name. After all, if he knows my name, he knows that I also own a chicken franchise. Whatever, I'm still screwed, so since I know that money cannot buy trust, I'm thinking that either a.) this engineer and crew cannot know where the lab is, thus I stick with the original plan and keep them totally in the dark to where they are, or b.) I plan that these guys never return to Germany. They return to Germany and it could be 1 month, 2 years, or 20 years, but someone could let it slip that they were in Albuquerque in the summer and fall of 2003, building a secret underground complex. Should the local cops, or DEA find the lab, I've ensured that my name isn't connected in any way to the lab. But if I have loose ends out there, the guys who built the lab, and who know my name, should the lab get raided, they could dime on me easy, and now my name is connected to the lab.

So, you see, it doesn't make sense for Gus to let them know who he is and where they are. The show, itself, introduced the perfect scenario, i.e. blindfolds and secrecy, but after building an elaborate lodging facility in a warehouse, they still let these guys go outside and yuk it up at Pleasure World, a place that they can Google upon returning to Germany. The crew might not know the name of their benefactor, but the foreman does, and sure I see why Werner was eliminated, but it could have all been prevented had Gus stuck to the original premise: don't let them know who I am and where they are.

If these guys needed to get their jollies (and yeah, I would, too), with unlimited funds, they could have bused some hookers in from Colorado - more than once, since money isn't an issue. In fact, I think the Pleasure World stip club was a big tease - and incredible tease - since you can only look but not touch.

Regardless, the main point is that how Gus handled the crew is incongruous to his need for ultimate secrecy. It was sloppy. Mike told Werner exactly where they were. All they needed was for the lab to get busted (and it was), for Werner or any of those guys, to seek a reward by telling the authorities in New Mexico that the lab belonged to chicken mogul, Gus Fring.

GentleSenator and MPLRecords like this.
  7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So I can never remember, is Season 5 only showing on AMC or is it streaming?

Amazon prime?

8. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

You can get it on the AMC app

GentleSenator likes this.
  9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

if it freakin' works. i'm hoping it does because i don't want to get behind everyone's discussion here!

10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I think you still have to log into it and prove you have a cable subscription that includes AMC.

11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah, you do. that wasn't the issue though. it was just a very shoddy app.

Tim S likes this.
  12. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I was thinking it was possible to subscribe to AMC through the app without belonging to a cable service.

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Meh, I dont have cable.

Iz there no other vay?

14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

you can always pirate bay it. otherwise you're gonna have to put on your big boy pants and subscribe to something.

MikeInFla and EVOLVIST like this.
  15. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Such as YoutubeTV.

mpayan likes this.
  16. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Season Five is on iTunes for $24.99

GentleSenator and mpayan like this.
  17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

you can also buy the current season on amazon and the episodes are released for streaming usually around midnight after they air. i don't mind paying for a full season in lieu of dealing with the cable company.

MikeInFla likes this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Bingo, now I recall what I did 2 yrs back. Thanks!

GentleSenator likes this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Do you know if there is a delay of broadcast with youtubeTV?

20. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

None whatever.

21. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Season 5 not showing up on Amazon yet...:shake:

22. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

It should start, like every season, with Gene. Last time it left me wondering what was the deal with that cab driver? Was Gene just being paranoid? But it sure seemed like the guy was up to no good. Maybe we''ll start out with a longer Gene scene this time, because it seemed like a story was heating up there.

Grootna and MPLRecords like this.
  23. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Mike is a character to be pitied? I think so. He's the guy that could have used his brains at NASA or MIT, but whatever got in there after Vietnam, what led him to become a cop, ended that for Mike.

Mike's whole life from that moment on was reverse-engineering what cops would do, so that he could teach the criminals to be safe.

Mike is a killer. Every other death after Werner was Mike killing thugs. Not the "innocent" in Mike's mind.

24. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I agree with all of this, except about Werner. I can't really call him "innocent." He doesn't know exactly what he's doing or why, but he isn't stupid. The extreme secrecy and security measures - he knows whatever it is, it's not legal, to say the least.

I suppose you could say he's the closest to innocent that Mike has killed or caused to die.

In one way, Werner reminds me of Walt. Both are in love with their fields of work - chemistry and engineering. Werner could have talked all night to those guys in the bar about engineering the same way Walt could rhapsodize about the intricacies of chemistry. Or Gale could pursue the perfect cup of coffee.

25. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I thought maybe he was being paranoid but from what I understand the actor who played the cab driver is a well known actor (not well known to me) which leads some to believe it will lead to something. As some have stated, why bring in a well known actor to appear for a non speaking cameo?

I'm hoping for a full Gene episode at some point. If it indeed is someone from ABQ it could get very interesting and very dangerous for Gene.

GentleSenator and Thomas D like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.