Iggy Stooges Fun House Rhino LP release 50th anniversary deluxe edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by starfieldroad, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow Thread Starter

2. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

That’s a lot of vinyl with a price to match.

3. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I CANT BELIEVE they are releasing the complete sessions on LP. Seems crazy, but amazing. I’m pretty happy with my 1970s French LP and the Run Out Groove Funhouse Sessions Highlights 2LP set, but this DOES sound decadent!!! Glad they’re doing it, but too rich for my blood.

4. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Any predictions on how long it will take for this puppy to sell out?

LoveYourLife likes this.
  5. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I love Funhouse but I don’t love it that much. I’m not sure it would get played very much. I hope they release the 45rpm version separately though

6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Comes with a 45 adapter.

7. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Hi-res digital in the offing? -E

8. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Right? I wouldn't have pegged Stooges fans as being a good target market for the 15-disc "immersion set" business model, but what do I know?

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

One of my all time favorite albums, but the album proper is enough for me , and the Ungano's set is available as a stand alone.

bagstiv, DTK, btltez and 5 others like this.
  10. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

1965 copies left.

punkmusick likes this.
  11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Whoah. I wonder how well Iggy treated his record collection back in the day...

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

If they release that 45 RPM cut of the original album on 2LPs separately, I'm in. Hint hint, Rhino.

I love vinyl but I gotta say, 15 LPs of Fun House sessions on LP seems like overkill. That's what CDs are for. Sheesh, release the package on CD, master it PROPERLY, and sell a bunch more copies. But I'm sure it's a beautiful package and the 1,970 people who can afford it will love it.

13. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]

14. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I have downloaded the Complete Sessions a long time ago but have never listened to it in its entirety. I don't even like to listen to CD2 of the deluxe edition of a few years ago. Not sure why. I suppose it's because Fun House is just a perfect a work of art. As much as I'm not interested in having a Van Gogh's sketch in my wall instead of the actual painting, I'm not listening to the sessions. I always listen to the record itself. And even though I have an original pressing, I always go with the Rhino outstanding reissue cut by Ron McMaster.

Anyway this is my all time favorite rock'n'roll album and I might pull the trigger eventually.

15. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Just heard back from my contact at Rhino.Not surprising-NO plans to sell the 2lp 45 RPM version separate from the box.Maybe we could get a petition going?

punkmusick likes this.
  16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yeah. They said the 1st Fun House CD box was limited. Look what happened there. They just repressed the whole bl00dy box but without the numbers, to make it look like they had not gone back on their word.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  17. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Figured!
    Iggy Pop record collection for sale. Most items Poor-. Sold as-is. Serious buyers only.’

Man at C&A, Flaming Torch and ralphb like this.
  18. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

I probably don’t need it but very tempting. One of my all time favourite albums.

dtotheatothevtot and punkmusick like this.
  19. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Exactly. I bought one of those original boxes.

In the end on the CD side, I honestly didn't care that other people had access to the music, but the idea that they sold it as "limited" and then re-printed the complete box without the numbering is/was pretty ludicrous.

I got this email promo for the vinyl box and a few years ago I probably would have jumped on it, but between the price and repeated content (i.e. multiple takes of the same songs in a row), I think I can live with this just on CD. With the CDs, I can easily jump around through tracks, as well as make my own playlists out of my favorite versions.

20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I agree with this. I love vinyl, but these sorts of huge archival sets are much better suited for CD, in my opinion.

21. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

It's probably just a vinyl version of the 7CD Box Set. This kind of exploitation of The Stooges is the antithesis of what the band used to be about.

22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Absolutely bonkers release. Love it! It's not for me, being Vinyl, but it's great to see a label pushing out the boat on such a title.

Nosferatuz and dtotheatothevtot like this.
  23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Can't help but think you're missing the point. The CD versions isn't exactly easy to find new, and if Vinyl is your thing, then what are you going to do? Often with these huge sets, Vinyl lovers have to make do with a cut down version - not so here. The price is mad, but then the project is slightly mad anyway.

Nosferatuz, D.B. and punkmusick like this.
  24. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

The 7CD set was a pretty mad idea, yes, undoubtedly - and hard to find these days. I've only seen one, and I bought it about 7 years ago. I can't help but think unsold copies of this will be discounted to $149.99 by this time next year if the GNR Locked'N'Loaded set is any indication of demand.

Neonbeam likes this.
  25. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Maybe they will offer a scaled down -less ambitious box at some point like that was done with the Guns and Roses box.I would like to see a box with the Original album on 2-45 lps + the singles for under $100.

theebrianrector42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.