'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

There will most likely be sales down the road as there were last year. No need to rush.

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Why would Was switch to all analog if it was merely the quality control of the pressings?

3. I didn't say that he switch to analogue simply because of pressing issues. . But after the 75th fiasco and folks bitching about pressings (yet they sold), he got on the higher quality bandwagon with Joe Harley's input. And as you said, it was influenced by what MMJ and Joe Harley were doing. I don't know specific details, but I assume once you have the Tone Poet infrastructure in place, you can somewhat tag along with Kevin and the same better pressing plant and create a somewhat less expensive line (cheaper covers) for Bluenote 80s. And it worked beautifully for the most part.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  4. AnalogJ

Are they using a better pressing plant?? I wasn't aware.

5. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Yeh, BN80s are being plated at RTI and pressed at Optimal. I bought about a dozen BN80s (maybe more) and never had any issues on a single one.

Swann36, Mazzy and paulmock like this.
  6. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I'm on my third copy of BN80 Grant's First Stand and side two is horribly noisy on all of them. I had to exchange a few other titles to get acceptable copies (some Tone Poets), I'm worried Amazon is going to drop me. I'm just getting more into jazz and love some of these cool reissues, but it's been a frustrating experience.

timzigs likes this.
  7. mrbob

mrbob Forum Resident

bmusic likes this.
  8. Yeah I’ve only had one dodgy BN80 exchanged and all of the rest have been great. And I’ve purchased most of them.

paulmock and dastinger like this.
  9. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Optimal in Europe. I haven’t had too many but the BN80’s I did get are ridiculously well pressed. Like perfectly beveled edges, not sharp at all, some of the flattest and most consistent vinyl I’ve seen.

Slippers-on, shawnwes, GyroSE and 4 others like this.
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Well now....according to UPS, Stanley & Hank should be at my door awaiting my arrival from work today. It says something about "Tone Poet" on the delivery notice. Does anyone know what that means? "Tone Poet"... I dunno it's been so long. Should that mean something to me???? o_O

shawnwes, Crazysteve, lbloom and 3 others like this.
  11. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I had a very spendy month of February so I am waiting to order these four new titles next Friday when I get paid again... AND IT IS KILLING ME!!!!

I’ll be living vicariously through you all!

shawnwes, Crazysteve and scotti like this.
  12. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I looked over the list of this year's releases, I have a lot of them on CD and they are fine.
    But I have the I need a new LP jones so I ordered a new one from last year on Discogs,
    Joe Henderson In N Out, I love this album and have it on a 1987 CD that sounds good.
    This will be a very good LP from this series

scotti and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

You better let us know as soon as you listen. Looking forward to your feedback. Did you not order the other two? Picking my four up tomorrow but will not get to listen until Friday night. I have my on going blood workup physical Friday morning and I will have to be in total chill mode all day tomorrow. But at least I can admire the covers until then.

Well I guess I don't feel that bad now after reading that. Yep, February cost me dearly as well, but I put the money aside for these so I would not spend it. I think I have spent more time cleaning the records I have been getting than listening to them. I have got to slow down. Every time I pop my head in at the MMJ thread, I'm (well I just can't say that word here). And then AS has to have that sale...Now wait just a second, it sounds like I'm complaining about buying some great Jazz records, shame on me.

14. AnalogJ

Hmmm..... the doctor diagnoses Tone deafness. Please shoot yourself up with a photograph needle. Take two LPs (listening pills) and report back in the morning.

paulmock and SunSon like this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Seperate orders from 2 different sellers.

scotti likes this.
  16. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I recently bought the CD comp of the Grant Green & Sonny Clark quartet sessions which includes the songs on Nigeria - man, let me tell you - Green absolutely kills it on those songs. Can't wait to hear from you all how the TP LP sounds!

17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Got a mediocre CD of it and if this turns out the way I'm expecting, this will be a monster (that will bring Godzilla to it's knees!) To say I'm excited for this one is putting it mildly. I have the SRX of "Search For The New Land" on the way and I think I'm looking more forward to "Nigeria".

18. AnalogJ

:idea: Did you know that Airegin is Nigeria spelled backwards?

Crispy Rob likes this.
  19. BrothersCarrot

BrothersCarrot Well-Known Member

Just got home with an early copy of the tone poet ‘Chet Baker Sings’ from the record store I work at and holy mother, it’s incredible. So good that I had to stop being a lurker on here and create an account to make a comment. If you are debating on getting this one on Friday — don’t debate any more, Chet’s vocals and trumpet are the best I’ve heard them on this LP.

20. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

“Airegin,” an up tempo minor composition, was inspired by a magazine photograph of Nigerian dancers that had impressed Rollins, who said, “So the next song that I wrote I dedicated to the dancers, and I titled it ‘Airegin,’ which is Nigeria spelled backwards.”

From this link (which is a pretty cool little website aside from the annoying ads): Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Airegin)

Crispy Rob, mktracy and AnalogJ like this.
  21. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

Mazzy was that a typo and s/b 75s? I have almost all the 80s and haven't had a problem with any of them and think most of them are excellent.

22. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

Received “Poppin” and “Comin Your Way” today and still waiting for Nigeria. Only got to listen to Poppin today and I think it sounds great! I’ve never listened to this album much and was one of the Mobley albums I don’t have even though I have most of his other work. It’s definitely not my favorite musically but also not bad. I did really enjoy Pepper Adams on this one and I love Sonny Clark. This is a stellar lineup adding Art, Philly, and chambers in there. Right off the bat on the title cut I didn’t notice any “warble” on the keys and there is lots of parts on the album where I tried to listen hard for it and I just don’t hear it?,Although I admit it didn’t bother me as much as some other posters on the other albums. The only one that I even really noticed on the other TP titles was Hill’s and that didn’t bother me too much. So maybe my ears aren’t up to par but I really don’t think that issue has recurred with this title for some reason, but maybe I just can’t hear well enough. I did really try to focus on the piano and didn’t notice any problems so count me cautiously optimistic that this issue is resolved? I don’t have any other copy of this album to compare to the tone poet, but it sounds great! My copy was well pressed, flat, quiet, and on par with my other tone poets sound wise. If someone really enjoys this album I think they will be very happy with the “clarity” and sound separation between the different musicians. Seems like there is a little top end “brightness” on my system but in a good way. Again this is far from my favorite Mobley (The feelin’s good) but the entire record sounds great. No muddy bass and Peppers Baritone sounds so great to me. Can’t wait to tear into Turrentines and Green’s next. Just thought I would offer my thoughts....

23. Yes I meant the 75s

24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks for not making my earlier comments seem exaggerated. Well said! I'm a good 10 listens in with this one and we do have something special here. Have to say it once more, but almost "tube warmth" like.

mktracy, StevenTounsand and chacha like this.
  25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

It's funny, I have the other three en route to me but I decided against the Chet Baker album (for now).
    I think I'm put off as I'm not massively into jazz singing :shrug:

keylime_5, scotti and ryu like this.