Hank Williams: Pictures From Life’s Other Side — The Man and His Music in Rare Photos and Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Nov 22, 2019.

1. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Listening right now. The only downside is the way the CDs are stored, in overlapping pockets which could lead to scuffing. Some songs have the spoken introductions left in, but it's not enough to be tedious like on the old Mother's Best set. The book features a mix of iconic and rare photos. Any fan of Hank will be familiar with some of the pictures, but not all of them.

baptistbusman, Richard--W and hodgo like this.
  2. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Update: The set is not completely Audrey-free. First disc has two duets.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Richard--W likes this.
  3. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

canceled. :winkgrin:

Rick Bartlett, hodgo, Quincy and 2 others like this.
  4. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

This is the downside to many modern releases, it's got so bad that I make sure to have plenty of Nagoka Anti Static CD sleeves at home so that I can immediately slide the discs into them, the Japanese record labels do this so why don't their USA & EU counterparts do the same?

5. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

$76.97 at Bullmoose.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

The full set is on Spotify. 144 songs. 7 hr 10 min

I'm gonna check it out in a minute as I'm excited to hear if it will be as good as the recent Garden Spot and Health & Happiness discs.. which were outstanding.

I had the original radio replica box of these and the sound quality made it super hard to endure. GS and H&H were revelations and I was hoping Mother's Best could be like that. This box got me super excited.

Edit: ooooh, nice! there's low end.

hodgo likes this.
  7. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Mine just came! I opened it up and all 6 cd's fell out. This the stupidist box design I have ever seen. The cardboard inserts for the discs to sit in weren't even opened, so the discs were never even placed inside of them from the factory. Stupid for $90.00.

8. baptistbusman

Ok I’ve cooled off a bit, just kind of upsetting when $90 worth of cds hits the wood floor right off the bat.

This is a sweet looking set. The few tracks I’ve listened to sound great! Definitely going to be a Hank Williams weekend!

9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

anybody else get their box?

mine is being delivered today.

baptistbusman likes this.
  10. baptistbusman

Be careful opening it up!

Pawnmower likes this.
  11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Only disc 6 wasn't in the very shallow pocket, but disc 3 has this darkness along the edge that almost looks like rot.
    I've not seen this before. I guess if the last track on the CD plays ok, it will be fine. I'll test it when the kids slumber.

baptistbusman likes this.
  12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Edit: yeah the last song on disc 3 doesnt play. Crap!!

13. baptistbusman

Id message whomever you bought it from and tell them you want a new set.

14. baptistbusman

I’ve been listening to this set for around an hour every evening as I’m winding down after getting home from work. Yesterday evening I thought to myself, “Hank Williams wasn’t the only country star back then, how much of this stuff is sitting there that others recorded?” I’m sure Little Jimmy Dickens did this kind of thing....certainly there are copies somewhere...imagine a set like this with him backed by his Country Boys band? If I was rich, I’d be doing what I could to get at some of it.

15. I also have the same issue with disc three in that it’s not disc rot, it’s the dye or whatever the composite of silver on the data side is called, it isn’t quite filled in all the way when it was stamped at manufacturing (at the very outer edges of the disc) which makes it look almost translucent around some of the edges where you can see the white of the label side showing through . Anyone else notice this?

16. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

I don’t have that problem, but the binding on my book does seem a little bit... fragile. Yeah. That’s the right word for it. Still digesting this box & glad to have it overall, but sorry to hear that some discs have problems.

17. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Yes, that's it. Thanks. I couldn't put it into words. Bullmoose said I could mail the entire box back. The last 40 seconds won't play. Of course, if the disc wasn't 79:49, it wouldn't be a problem. I was able to burn a copy of the CD that plays fine in its entirety, so I'm still debating whether I'm going to bother sending it back. It's such a great package and I'm enjoying the staggering sound quality upgrade very much.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  18. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

First time I've seen this thread. Damn, what a photo. Looks so clear and detailed I feel like I can touch him.

supermd, Shvartze Shabbos and Kevin55 like this.
  19. baptistbusman

It is an awesome set with the best collection of Hank pictures I have ever seen.

20. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The book is amazing.

21. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I'm the one person on earth who likes her.

Trots and Michael like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

she's not great but she was serviceable...I had no problem with her on any song I've heard her on with Hank....

23. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I kind of like the way their voices blend when they sing together. Yes, I can tell that she's completely, hopelessly off-key, but for whatever reason it doesn't bother me.

Michael likes this.
  24. Michael

I get where you are coming from...and agree....sorta like Dylan and Johnny Cash on Nashville Skyline...

Electric Sydney likes this.
  25. Michael

what exactly is the difference between this and the previous CD release?