David Crosby (Cameron Crowe)- Croz's life, "Remember My Name" documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just got this on Blu ray for $9.99, by using some of my Bull Moose points. Looking forward to it.

ARK and Chrome_Head like this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

For one thing, I think his ahole quotient relates to how famous and rich he was. With Byrds, HOOGE Now, not so much.

I think it also depends if you're taking about music on just being him. I think he can very pig headed when it comes to music, particularly stuff he wrote. (and in discussing music as well)

But you have a good point---how has he been behaving the last 20 years or so, when there was no huge fame or fortune?

somnar likes this.
  3. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

As I’ve gotten older, I’m 68, I’ve learned to talk less and listen a lot more. Listen, listen, listen. Maybe Crosby should do more of that.

4. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Just watched the movie. What a bore! He’s so narcissistic and self pitying, it’s incredible. And there’s nothing new or interesting in the film. It’s basically the same as his Behind the Music special from 20 years ago!

vonwegen, bonus, Tjazz and 2 others like this.
  5. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Anyone wishing to see this again or for the first time it is available at Starz on demand.

Pretty fine. Crosby & Crowe on film:

moomoomoomoo, marmalade166 and TimM like this.
  6. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

I am talking about the full documentary on Starz.com, if I wasn't clear.

7. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Yes. I watched it today and enjoyed it, mostly.

Sometimes I watch these docs and get a weird feeling that I know more of the story than the folks in the doc. I know that can't be true, but I have to say that this doc mostly confirmed facts, details and stories I already knew, rather than add anything surprising.

I give it a B!

CCrider92 and Lost In The Flood like this.
  8. phonograph

phonograph Forum Resident

This is basically how I saw it too. Definitely worth watching, I enjoyed it quite a lot actually.

lemonade kid likes this.
  9. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

It’s very possible we do know more, or at least different things. We read the books.

Crosby’s persona seems mostly the same as in the past, but his reflections are more sorrowful now. He is at a point in life where all of best friends don’t want to know him. He said something like that. It was a good documentary, and an interesting reflection on Crosby in old age. Seems like talking about meeting James was worth mentioning. But it’s an oft-told story, so maybe it wasn’t necessary.

There was some of the unreleased song “Coast Road” in the doc somewhere. But I think there was talking over it.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

very much enjoyed this! Can't believe he's still with us after all the abuse he did to his body! strong DNA!

melstapler and lemonade kid like this.
  11. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I’d never seen CSN do that version of Silent Night before. YOUCH!!!!!

Hall Cat and Mr. D like this.
  12. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Not even mentioning James Raymond and that backstory is hard to understand. Unless that is expressly how DC wanted it, for reasons of his own, or James's. I know he has an adult daughter that he is still estranged from, and maybe doesn't want to be seen playing favorites, as he has nothing but good things to say about James, his musical partner for the last 20+ years.

ARK, Stone Turntable and jeremylr like this.
  13. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I was also a bit surprised how little that was discussed, though I think I know the entire public part of the back story so other than noticing it, I wasn't real upset.

14. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

He told the story about giving James the lyrics to “Morrison” and James returned with a Steely Dan song that I remember the quote without referencing it.

It seems like the point of the doc was to tell a story about Crosby that wasn’t narrative, but rather reflective, and ultimately ambivalent. We’re left with this most unlikely 78 year old man, who is improbably still alive and even vital as an artist, yet who is also somewhat broken and regretful.

15. moomoomoomoo

I dearly love his music; & perhaps for me it is good that I have never met him.

The Steely Dad thing is ironic: From the first time I heard the first CPR CD I really felt that Raymond brought an (unwelcome for me) Dan sound to the CPR cd's, especially Raymond's lead vocals. I do like Dan; I don't like Dan->Raymond->Crosby if that makes sense.

16. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Well... yeah, that’s a sore spot for me too actually. I like Steely Dan a lot, but I don’t like what the influence has done to Crosby’s music. Raymond is a brilliant musician, but his love of Steely Dan is too pronounced. Now I find that Crosby’s light jazz affections are lost behind the more sophisticated Steely Dan sheen.

Crosby now says Steely Dan is his favorite band (and the Beatles). I can’t think of time when he mentioned them before 1998.

vonwegen, csnfan and moomoomoomoo like this.
  17. moomoomoomoo

Have you head 2018's Here If You Listen?

I really like that one; it's my 3rd fav DC non CSN/CSNY studio album (after the first & Oh Yes I Can)

18. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Yep. It’s really good. More like the old Crosby.

csnfan and Chrome_Head like this.
  19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I wouldn’t say that the film is devoid of self-pity, but, to me, Crosby comes across as pretty honest about a lot of the mistakes he has made. However much of a jerk he may have been in the past, it’s tough to see him struggling with his health as he does. My opinion of him went up after seeing this movie.

20. To me, that sound is the best music he's made of his entire career.

ARK and vegafleet like this.
  21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

One thing that’s clear solely from this film is that David Crosby in 2019 is shockingly more artistically relevant and vital than he has any right to be. Maybe he messed up, a lot, back in the day. But, in the twilight of his life, he’s going down swinging. I admire that.

22. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

I've just seen this doc.
    Really enjoyed it a lot... I've read both his books+found him to be unlikeable in the extreme.
    He comes across as much nicer in the doc, though.
    His recent music is outstanding, in fairness.

23. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Rented and watched this a few weeks ago, after dipping into the Freak Flag Flying podcast surveying DC's career. I'm a big fan of the host, the writer Steve Silberman, who's a kind of Croz superfan and now a close friend of DC.

The documentary left me with profoundly mixed feelings — admiration for the guy's sheer cussedness and endurance, sadness for all of the cruelty he's experienced and inflicted on others, and a melancholy sense of how much people don't or often can't change who they are. He seems like a man unable to really go all the way in terms of making amends, who still has a kind of unconquerable diva love for the sound of his own opinions and for a degree of arrogant entitlement and judgmental self-righteousness even as the darkness is closing in on him. His self-excoriation and regret has a tinge of self-pity and performative drama about it, which makes it slightly maddening although the pain is clearly deep and real.

So you wanna be a rock and roll star? In this case, there's a steep cost. I hope he finds a little more peaceful surrender before it's all said and done.

24. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I found it odd that he never mentions how Nash bought all of his publishing when he was down, out and in jail, then gave it back to him when he got out. To me, that's pretty damn significant to his life.

ARK, budwhite, Bob J and 5 others like this.
  25. bonus

bonus Forum Resident

I'm a big admirer of his spirit and his work, and I must say, I share your take on this. It's as if, having dabbled in recovery (that seems the right way to put it), he kind of adopted a new stance about his own ego and abrasiveness: "I'll just declare myself a big ass@#%* before anyone can beat me to it. That way, I get to be the historic King of the Jerks and be enlightened about it all." None of it sounds like actual humility and contrition, it's just more bad boy posturing. A pretense of "reflection" and "awareness" has now been added to the mix.

And all the petty dramas serve to (are, I think, intended to) obscure the vastly more painful truth that CSN has been a spent force for a helluva long time (something that Crosby does acknowledge). And that without a bare minimum of functioning and goodwill between them, Neil just doesn't want anything to do with the whole mess.

I feel terrible for Graham Nash, who seemed to have really loved him, and who stood by him for so long.