Hank Williams: Pictures From Life’s Other Side — The Man and His Music in Rare Photos and Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

This one is edited and remastered. It does not contain the full shows like the original set. I’m hoping there will be more reviews regarding the sound.

T-Bo and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  2. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Yes. It works in spite of itself, and the flaws are what make it interesting. I also just like the sort of nasal style that a lot of the female country singers of the time used, like Kitty Wells or Rose Maddox. Those two were much better singers but it was the twang that really made it work. I feel like Audrey is certainly their equal in terms of twang.

It's the same thing as the 15-disc Mother's Best set from a few years ago, it's just missing nine CDs' worth of intros, outros, fiddle breakdowns, "comedy," and other musicians besides Hank. I actually like all that stuff on the original box but there's value to having just the Hank stuff.

The Beave, Matthew Tate, T-Bo and 2 others like this.
  3. I concur. Hands down the best HW picture book ever. The music is almost an afterthought.

The Beave, Kevin55 and guidedbyvoices like this.
  4. Sound is similar to the 2008 time life complete box with the new set having a slight edge. There is only so much you can do with 60 year old transcription lacquers.

Mr. H and Michael like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks...

6. Michael

OK, that's good...thanks.

Mr. H likes this.
  7. Michael

Thanks for the info...

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  8. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I really have no complaints about the first set regarding sound. I really enjoy the full shows as well, though I understand why they could become tedious for Hank Williams fans with no interest in anything but the music.

9. Michael

I love all the extras...full shows rock!

OK,
    First box is complete
    Second Box is edited....
    correct?

10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

the first box has no low-end whatsoever and there's nothing you can do about it.. it's a flat buzzsaw of high end agony.
    this new set sounds outstanding.. like the Garden Spot and H&H shows before it.
    so happy they upgraded this.
    if only the complete shows sounded good.

The Beave and Mychael like this.
  11. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Thanks for the comments on the sound. Sounds like I'll need to hear the new one for myself.

The Beave likes this.
  12. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

It’s $65 plus tax/shipping on importcds.com. I have the Mother’s Best complete and had been debating pulling the trigger due to space concerns, but at that price (plus a 10% promo code) bringing it down to $68.37, as well as the reviews about how great the book is and the improved sound quality, I had to go for it. Can’t wait!

13. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Should they really fix the disc playing issue before I purchase it? Or is it only few who had problems.

14. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

My set didn’t have any problems at all.

Electric Sydney and Trots like this.
  15. Correct.

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

thanks...

17. Anytime, my friend. :righton:

18. Michael

: )

19. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Still waiting for mine to arrive.

20. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

You know if they did a version without Miss Audrey a wailin and a hollerin I'd gladly pay more!

hodgo and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  21. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I have the two (physical) Time-Life 3 CD sets of the Mother's Best and the 15 CD in digital format.
    Listening to the new collection today.
    I have a particular taste for historical recordings gained from being a long-time fan of Pre-War Blues. In that culture you have so many differing remastering philosophies and you can see an evolution of what fans and labels think sounds good. In the 1990s the Columbia/Sony people did a massive reissue of their Pre-War Blues holdings (produced by Larry Cohn), many single title releases of great artists like Tampa Red, Lonnie Johnson, Bukka White, Brownie McGhee, etc, with the Complete Robert Johnson being the crown jewel of the series. No-Noise technology was used, called CEDAR I think? Basically, record noise and high end are eradicated by taking out those frequencies. What you get is a kind of lifeless, hollow and muddy-sounding result. This appeals to many novice listeners who think that record noise and high-end sound dated and distracting. What was not understood, though, is that so much of the music is present in those frequencies. You hear the bass and treble of the guitar and voice more accurately in those slightly noisy, high-end zones. Companies like Yazoo records understood this and to this day their decades old transfers of these 1920-30s 78s are some of the best sounding reissues out there. These days John Tefteller's annual blues calendar CDs have continued this philosophy of remastering, as have other more connoisseur type labels.
    A-Bing this new set with my Time-Life CDs . . . I think I hear a No Noise treatment on the 2020 set and I don't like it. It sounds like something's missing or being left out. It doesn't sound "alive" to my ears. I'm only half a CD in and I'm listening to the whole thing but just a heads up for folks who maybe have the same listening background as I do: you may not like the noise reduction used on this set.

PS It's not excessive and your ears will adjust but, for me, this type of remastering sounds slightly invasive, like the music is pushing against something that's trying to repress its actual frequency. It's like the room is being eliminated.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    The Beave, JohnO, hodgo and 2 others like this.
  22. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

So I guess you're not the target group for Bear Family's complete set of Audrey Williams recordings.

hodgo, Mr. H and baptistbusman like this.
  23. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I would actually buy that.

24. :faint:

The Killer likes this.
  25. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Bear Family's niche but tell me that's not a thing.