Movies Made Adapted From Stephen King Books

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I enjoyed 11/22/63. It captured the essence of the book although James Franco wouldn’t be my choice for the lead.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  2. Dream Catcher is an awful book and an even worse movie IMHO.

Manimal likes this.
  3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

The worst.

4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

You did not like 'Misery'(Book and Movie)?

I thought the Movie-'Pet Sematary' was decent, but not Great(and the recent Remake was not any better), however, I read that it is one of King's Best Books, and plan to read it eventually. Apparently, it was too close to home for King, and he had to be convinced to complete and release the Book.

I did not read the Book, but the Movie to 'Christine'(if that is the one about a Demon Car, as saw it in the late '90s either on Cable TV or Rental) was a Snore-zzzzzzzzzzz from what I recalled. Same for 'Cujo'(I know not one you mentioned, but just recall seeing it around the same time), as almost the entire movie took place with the Actors inside a car-IIRC.

My Biggest Disappoint is after getting a Really Good 'IT-Chapter 1' a few years ago that blew away the Original TV Movie, the recent 'IT-Chapter 2' was not nearly as good as Chapter 1, so made the Entire Movie(Both Chapters together) a major letdown. Maybe, there will be some Director Cuts in a Future BluRay Release that combines both Movies and we get a revised, better Chapter 2, but then you would wonder why any better written parts were not used originally, so I am not hopeful. We will see.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just watched IT original & the Remake...Damn, they were good!

6. Michael

I like both but, I do agree part 2 was a bit lacking compared to 1...but I still enjoyed both very much.

7. TheSeldomSeenKid

I just had such High Expectations for 'Chapter 2' after a 2 year wait, that it would not only equal 'Chapter 1', but hoping it would have exceeded it. Pennywise was hardly in 'Chapter 2', but he was frickin' scary when he did show up(Bill Skarsgard Nailed that Role in both Chapters going for Scary over Camp). The Adults(with the exception of Bill Hader and Jessica Chastain, who were real good) were not enough to carry the Movie-Chapter 2(same problem with the Original Movie though, as in both versions, the Child Actors were really good).

I do like how this New Remake(Chapters 1 & 2) did provide a better adaptation of the Book(except that stupid scene with the Paul Bunyan? Statue coming to life). To be fair though, the length of the Book really could haves used one Additional Movie to get a few more hours to cover the Book. I was willing to wait 2 more years to get a Chapter 3.

Oh well, maybe a 3rd version of 'IT' will get made in the next 20 years, and if King is no longer alive at that time, his Older Son, Joe Hill, who has been creating his own good catalog of Books in the Horror Genre, can approve a Script for a 3rd Version of 'IT'. He already included a nod to 'IT' in the AMC TV Series of his Book, 'NOS4A2' when a Map of a Town in one scene in the first episode-IIRC, showed an area labeled 'Pennywise Circus' on it, as one of the locations.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

all great points...Bill Skarsgard Nailed that Role in both Chapters going for Scary over Camp...I love his part...he was AMAZING! in 1! I was a bit annoyed we didn't get enough of him in 2...

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  9. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I absolutely adored the first half of 1408, it set up a creepy mood beautifully, but I thought it went downhill slightly towards the end with an over-reliance on visual effects and bluster (why would the ghosts look like they were playing on an old TV screen?). Still, a great and hugely underrated film generally.

Michael likes this.
  10. Michael

I like it too and when I first watched it I did not know it was a King movie...

11. TheSeldomSeenKid

1408 is a Good Short Story that is worth a read(I forget which Collection though it is from).

Michael likes this.
  12. Michael

thanks...going to check it out.

13. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I'm in the process of watching 11.22.63 for a second time; it was visually stunning and really got me involved, but then left me unsatisfied at the end. The conclusion seemed in a rush; a lot of shows in that ballpark get the chance to string the concept out for more than one (fairly short) season.

2nd time around, it's still enjoyable so I'll see how it pans out when I now know how it's going to end. Then I might try and take on the novel itself.

EG.

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

The Perfect Storm was a horrible movie...I was just discussing this mishap with a friend...

15. Michael

IO really really love that! anything with time travel and I'm in even better when it's King...

Eric_Generic likes this.
  16. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Most of what I (choose to) watch seems to involve Time Travel or solving crimes. Or both!

EG.

Michael likes this.
  17. Michael

cool and always interesting stuff!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  18. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I liked Dream Catcher ( movie) only because I started watching it one day not at all knowing what it was or anything.. I was like “ what the.... this is insane”. I guess the crazy unexpected ness was fun. That also happens to me when I watched the Abyss, had no idea what it was next thing I knew aliens and stuff. Love those happy accidents.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I really liked 11/22/63 and thought they did a very good job presenting a very complicated book. The producer gave an interview around the time the project came out and said <paraphrasing>, "if we had shot everything in the book, it'd be 20 hours long and cost $100 million dollars." As it was, it was 10 hours long and cost $50 million which is still not cheap.

I agree with you that 1408 was not great, but the story wasn't that great to begin with, either.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  20. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

You really need to read the book.

Scope J and Eric_Generic like this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"The Highly-Cosmic And Fantastical Adventures Of Tampering With The Time Stream"
    "Well, J.J, I see this as a love story..."
    "You're hired...!"
    :doh:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Eric_Generic likes this.
  22. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Reading through the titles in this thread, I would only care to re-watch THE SHINING, MISERY and maybe STAND BY ME.

23. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

For me:

Best overall - The Shining
    Scariest - Pet Sematary
    Close, but no cigar - The Stand
    Most memorable - Salem's Lot
    Worst - The Tommyknockers
    Bonus points - Children of the Corn

24. kamchatka

kamchatka Forum Resident

I watched "Silver Bullet" not too long ago, and while it's a ridiculous movie overall, I was really struck by the interactions between the two kids. In fact, I felt like the movie really wanted to be a quiet domestic drama about the relationship between siblings, and all the horror elements were just a silly distraction.

I mainly attribute this to Megan Follows, who played the big sister. She is an extraordinary actress, and while this is far from her best role, she really brought the character to life in a way that vastly transcended the weak screenplay.

25. SSoundLtd

SSoundLtd Forum Resident

May not be a popular opinion here but I rather liked the Pet Sematary remake. Warning: possible major spoiler alert for those that haven't seen it.
    I knew there was a major story change but didn't know exactly what it was and initially I sat there going wth is this?! But as the movie went on I grew to like it and the ending scene with the whole family coming to the car to get Gage was pretty creepy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.