'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Is it just me imagining things, but is the Chet vinyl cut with a flat center label area, while the blue notes have "ups and downs" under the label?

Can't remember if the old Prestige AP series had something similar. Was Pacific Jazz doing the same thing and did RTI replicate it here?

2. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Wow! I have several of the 80's and they're excellent.

3. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I’ve been listening to Joyride a lot lately, and this new Turrentine, also lacking his wife on organ, sounds sublime as well. I like Chant, but I enjoy Comin Your Way more. I like the bluesy tone of this and the mastering is exceptional. 2 for 2 so far in Tone Poet land.
    [​IMG]

mktracy, Twinsfan007, timzigs and 7 others like this.
  4. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

A bit late to the game here.
    Just got Hustlin’ as my first Tone Poet release.

The quality of the jacket is superb, and the pressing is flawless. They did a really good job on these.

Got a few more on order!

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I'm on my third copy of BN80 Grant's First Stand and side two is horribly noisy on all of them. I had to exchange a few other titles to get acceptable copies (some Tone Poets), I'm worried Amazon is going to drop me. I'm just getting more into jazz and love some of these cool reissues, but it's been a frustrating experience.

WOW! I truly feel your pain but applaud you hanging in there and not giving up to find perfect pressings. PRESS ON!!!!!!!;)

QuickDrawDave likes this.
  6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I shall be a Poppin' in the not too distant cocktail hour to start the weekend. Just got notice that Amazon will deliver Nigeria and Chet on Sunday morning. Nice!

scotti and Crazysteve like this.
  7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I will anxiously await your review! ENJOY.

Glenn coates likes this.
  8. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Before someone notices, I meant to say Hustlin, not Chant.

struttincool and paulmock like this.
  9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Damn them and their automated packaging! I am afraid of what I'll find come Sunday morning's delivery.

chris8519 likes this.
  10. Slippers-on

Shirley Horn...Billie Holiday...Ella...Sarah Vaughn ...Man some great Jazz singers out there...how bout Pop Satchmo Armstrong? And no one was cooler than Satchmo!

11. Slippers-on

What? Was he a blues singer??? Gospel singer, R&B singer? No.... he was a Jazz singer and Jazz trumpeter. Of course he didn't have the skills of Ella or Sassy but he was a Jazz Singer.

funknik, ceynon and recstar24 like this.
  12. Slippers-on

I agree 100%..and no one could do a Ballard like Shirley ....Just Like Billlie owned whatever song she sang....Shirley owned whatever Ballard she sang....I mean both of those women could take any ones song and make it their own. Two heavy weights. My favorite by Mrs Horn was a certain live version of Estate. Billie has to many of my favorites to name one....I love so many of Ella's, she had a way of ripping a song up but when she was done with it you where left amazed and wondering how can some one do that and it turns out so wonderful! Satchmo had that in him as well. Baker had so much felling in his singing....just like his trumpet playing...especially in his later years...to bad he left us to soon during his come back...just couldn't get that monkey off his back. I love that guy. when I think about west coast Jazz...that first person that comes to my mind is Chet Baker.....a Legend.

To really love and appreciate Jazz....its best to sort of know a little about the history of the art form as well as know the history of the musician and his trials. Once you dive in to that, it makes the art form that much more appreciative and enjoyable.

AnalogJ, NorthNY Mark and recstar24 like this.
  13. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

You beat me by one. :realmad:

[​IMG]

14. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Active Member

Diggin’ poppin’ right now... sound is awesome

15. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Active Member

Not so pleased with the sound of Nigeria - some weird, loud, intermittent ‘brrrrps’ Side 2 ‘The Things We Did Last Summer’

16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

My funny valentine on Chet Baker sings is basically peak tone poet by far of the whole series :love:

EDIT: damn it the thrill is gone just spun around and I think it just took over the award for peak tone poet moment

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  17. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Must be an issue with your particular copy.

jewelsnbinoculars and paulmock like this.
  18. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Sounds like it might be non-fill.

paulmock likes this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

After one heck of a day, I am having such a great time reading all of the posts right now, not much for me to add except, is it not amazing when incredible music like this, gets brought to life that just is so amazing sounding that turns these treasures into instant classics!

20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

You are just getting started with how this will amaze, listen after listen. Awesome post by the way!

Glenn coates and paulmock like this.
  21. Patrick Robey

Patrick Robey Forum Resident

Nigeria and Chet arrived today. Listened to Side One of Chet while working and it sounded great. But I wasn’t in the zone. Nigeria is FANTASTIC. I am hearing whooping and hollering that never was audible on my cd of the Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark. This is so good. I think it is Art Blakey urging Sonny Clark on. Man, Grant Green does a repeating line in the second tune that sounds like it is coming out of a Fender Champ at full volume. Just killer. The double cd has been in the top 5 of my most-listened Blue Notes. I am a happy man to have this and Gooden’s Corner from MMJ in my collection

RiRiIII, Thumbpick, mktracy and 8 others like this.
  22. Exchange it. Mine sounds great.

And soundwise the Chet Baker is probably the best sounding of the bunch. Quiet music and a dead quiet pressing

mktracy, paulmock, funknik and 2 others like this.
  23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I’m actually very familiar with the album musically. In college I practically listened to the CD every day. I sang in choir and a vocal jazz group in college and instantly fell in love with Chet’s voice, and eventually his trumpet playing. My whole concept of jazz singing and phrasing basically comes from Chet. To say I’m a fan would be an understatement. Having only heard the CD through the car, dorm radio, iPod, and to hear Chet sings in its purest form is truly a beyond beautiful moment.

24. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

The next two titles are up for pre-order at Amazon usa

Lee Morgan The Cooker
    Lonnie Smith All in my mind

chris8519, Thom Lieb and brimuchmuze like this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

All 4 of today's releases arrived this morning, and since I am working from home due to recovery from a back injury, I've been able to spin them all. Enjoyed all 4, the Turrentine probably my least favorite but still a fine listen. All in great shape except for a pretty bad warp in Chet Baker Sings, not enough to throw the needle off but enough that I'll probably return to Amazon in exchange for a hopefully better copy. I think this is the first Tone Poet that's had any problems that I've picked up, and I've bought all of them except the Cassandra Wilson.

Anyway, it has been a very enjoyable day of listening. First time hearing Chet's vocals for me, but I dig his unique approach.