The BLUEGRASS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 9, 2017.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Bluegrass n'blues

Dustin Welch & his pop, Kevin
    Things I Cannot Change

2. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Ooops. Yep. Gordon via Tony!

bzfgt and sami like this.
  3. sami

sami Mono still rules

They have been a revelation. I'd love to see them, as hot as they are at the moment, but their only appearance near here on the current tour is on a bad week.

Tom B likes this.
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah I think I've only heard the Tony Rice version, I'm just a know-it-all...

Dennis0675, Tom B and sami like this.
  5. sami

sami Mono still rules

Wow, and I was under the illusion that you really did know it all this whole time. What a bummer.

ianuaditis, Tim 2 and bzfgt like this.
  6. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Smoke and mirrors, old chap, smoke and mirrors....

ianuaditis and sami like this.
  7. sami

sami Mono still rules

Still a shock when the curtain is pulled back.

[​IMG]

Tim 2 and bzfgt like this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

9. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

edit - of course the first track was Bloody Mary MORNING... "flying down to Houston" etc...

ianuaditis and sami like this.
  10. Mark O'Connor - s/t
    (1975, Rounder)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Forum Resident

I listened to some Hot Rize, earlier today.

StarThrower62 and Dennis0675 like this.
  12. sami

sami Mono still rules

Kitchen Dwellers 9-25-2019

[​IMG]

Tim 2, Dennis0675 and Tom B like this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

14. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

LOL, nothing should surprise you around here. :faint:

sami likes this.
  15. siebrand

siebrand music lover

May I ask?
    How does this CD go in our CDP?
    THe last Steve Earle CD's were ooooh so bad, without any kind of dinamics.
    if this one's the same... I am forced to lose it.
    music above all, this is obvious, but there is a limit to everything, isn't there?

16. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Some good quality compositions on this one. And it goes without saying that the playing is high caliber coming from these master musicians. Released in the late 1980s.

Spadeygrove and Dok like this.
  17. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I've got a couple Pete Wernick CDs that I really love. Especially On A Roll.

18. Dok

Dok Senior Member

cedarbrew, Spadeygrove, sami and 2 others like this.
  19. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Really enjoying the new SteelDrivers!

sami and Dennis0675 like this.
  20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

I’m sure I’ve heard this before but I don’t remember it and I found it while filing albums. A bit clinical or Scholastic but very enjoyable.

oddly, these two played at a very nice restaurant in Columbus last Wednesday. I found out the day of but tickets were long since sold out.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  21. sami

sami Mono still rules

Not sure where, but I have heard of Darol Anger somewhere. Probably a contributing artist on a record.

cedarbrew and Dennis0675 like this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

He’s on many of David’s first albums and he played with Yonder at Hornings for many years if you’ve been listening to much of that kind of thing. But yes, he’s played on many things you’ve probably heard.

sami likes this.
  23. sami

sami Mono still rules

Thanks, you nailed it. More from the early Grisman stuff, but I recognize his name from listening to Yonder as well. I haven't listened to them in ages and really liked the early 2000's live releases. I need to revisit those soon.

24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Berkeley Bluegrass Festival - Friday - Tickets - The Freight & Salvage - Berkeley, CA - April 3rd, 2020

Peter Rowan with David Nelson, Eric and Suzy Thompson, Scott Law and Darol Anger performing the Jerry Garcia acoustic song book!

Grammy-award winner Peter Rowan is a singer-songwriter with a career spanning over five decades. From his early years playing under the tutelage of Bluegrass veteran Bill Monroe, to his time in Old & In the Way and his breakout as a solo musician and bandleader, Rowan has built a devoted, international fan base through a solid stream of recordings, collaborative projects, and constant touring.

David Nelson and Eric Thompson’s musical friendship goes back to 1962, when they met as bluegrass-playing teenagers living on the Peninsula (it wasn’t called Silicon Valley then!). In those early years, they played in many bands together, including the Black Mountain Boys with Jerry Garcia (you can hear a recording of this band on the recent “Before the Dead” box set, with Eric tearing it up on the guitar while Jerry sings “Rosalie McFall”; David played mandolin.). David Nelson went on to form the New Riders (featuring Jerry Garcia on pedal steel) while Eric explored many kinds of acoustic music, but the two maintained their friendship and continued to play music together for fun. About 10 years ago, David and Eric started playing occasional acoustic duo shows, and it was natural to invite Suzy to join them on fiddle. As a trio, often joined by Paul Knight on bass, they have continued to play rooms as big as the Warfield and as small as Jeff Da Chef’s living room.

David Nelson is a founding member of the New Riders of the Purple Sage and long time musical partner of Jerry Garcia’s dating back to 1962 in the pre-Grateful Dead bluegrass band, The Wildwood Boys. Nelson was also a member of the Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band and performed on three Grateful Dead albums – Aoxomoxoa, Workingman’s Dead & American Beauty – playing the character laden electric guitar solo on Box of Rain. Nelson has also performed as a member of Phil Lesh and Friends.

Eric & Suzy Thompson have devoted their lives to the pursuit of weird and obscure old-time American music – warped fiddle tunes in odd tunings, cinematic ballads, country blues songs that contain mysterious metaphors, early Cajun music with incomprehensible French lyrics and backwards chords. Using fiddle, mandolin, guitars, Cajun accordion, banjo (and the occasional odd instrument such as the ten-stringed cuatro) they bring these early 20th century sounds right into the present day.

Multifaceted artist Scott Law is a powerful instrumentalist, singer-songwriter and raconteur operating at the very highest level of his craft. Hailed as an “esteemed flat-picker” by Acoustic Guitar magazine, Law is equally reverent and inventive on electric guitar, acoustic guitar and mandolin and sought after as both leader and accompanist.

Fiddler, composer, producer and educator, Darol Anger is at home in a number of musical genres, some of which he helped to invent. Exceptional among modern fiddlers for his versatility and depth, Anger has helped drive the evolution of the contemporary string band through his involvement with numerous pathbreaking ensembles such as his Republic Of Strings, the Turtle Island String Quartet, the David Grisman Quintet, Montreux, his Duo with Mike Marshall, and others.

[​IMG]

25. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I keep dropping in and out of this thread and every now and then see something that looks interesting to me and this did. Now on order.

Dennis0675 and sami like this.