Favorite Painting of All Time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gallileo, Jul 20, 2013.

1. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

If it's half as good as Rembrandthuis in Amsterdam, it should be worth a visit.

The macerator likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

At least I gave you directions.:)

3. HaileyMcComet

Rembrandthuis is between Waterlooplein and Zuiderkerk, where Zwanenburgwal meets Houtkopersburgwal.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Dank je well.

5. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Is that a Billy Childish woodcut?

6. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Senior Member

Recently spent a fabulous day at The Prado in Madrid! I wouldn't presume to compare the quality of the collections of the three great European art museums we've visited over the years, but this was by far the most pleasant experience On the days we went, the Ufizi was overcrowded and we felt rushed through the rooms, and the Louvre was both overcrowded and poorly organized. Today's visit was greatly enhanced by a wonderfully knowledgeable and insightful guide, and the 'pedestrian only' section surrounding the museum offered a lovely transition back to the city.

We expected to love the Bosch, Raphael and Rubens, and we did; but we were thrilled and amazed at some of the works which were not known by us. These included Goya's "Black Paintings," which were both revelatory and scarier than anything by Bosch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tintoretto's "The Washing of The Feet," which provides startlingly different perspectives when view from the right or straight on.

[​IMG]

And Velasquez's Las Meninas, a richly complex painting that includes the painter on the left and the king and queen 'reflected' in a mirror in the rear left.

[​IMG]

And in Toledo we saw this incredible El Greco

[​IMG]

7. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Interesting Saturday afternoon in the Millenium Galleries. Little-seen chalk and charcoal drawings/sketches from the Chatsworth House collection, mainly from the 1600s.

[​IMG]

Two struck me as particularly evocative. This is by Hans Burgkmair of Wolfgang von Maen. Forgive me for being slightly flippant, but I reckon with a change of hat (to a fez), he's the spitting image of Tommy Cooper.

[​IMG]

...and one of Saint Agnes (in charcoal and white chalk) by Moretto. Stunning.

[​IMG]

EdgardV and HaileyMcComet like this.
  8. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I posted this photo of L.S. Lowry’s A Street in Stockport — Crowther Street last November:

[​IMG]

Today, I went past the actual Crowther Street for the first time in ages, so I took a quick snap. It is interesting to compare reality with Lowry’s interpretation:

[​IMG]

9. recklessczar

recklessczar Forum Resident

Giacomo Balla Italian Futurist 1909. It means something to me. My subconscious refuses to let me know what that is.

[​IMG]

10. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

The Rijksmuseum is offering a "Masterpieces up close" virtual 360 experience of their Gallery of Honor

Rijksmuseum Masterpieces Up Close

Rijksmuseum from home - What’s on - Rijksmuseum

Good if you're socially distancing

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    baggies, HaileyMcComet and smilin ed like this.
  11. tvstrategies

Before or after you go, you can have a bite and a witbier at Cafe de Sluyswacht - one block walk.

baggies likes this.
  12. tvstrategies

To the multiple admirers of this painting in this thread... (scroll down)
    I shot this photo in the Tate Britain in 2011. Whoever the curator was at the time had a twisted sense of humor. Last time I was there, these two pieces were no longer in the same room

[​IMG]

13. Andy Smith

This is worth sharing. The winner of this year's Portrait Artist Of The Year (Sky 1). Nile Rodgers by Christabel Blackburn. It will now hang in the Royal Albert Hall, so something else to put on your 'to see' list next time you're in London :).

[​IMG]

tvstrategies and smilin ed like this.
  14. stepeanut

I wasn’t mad keen on the judges’ choices this season, and I certainly wouldn’t have picked this woman as the overall winner. They kept going on about how fresh and original her work is. Are they not familiar with David Hockney?

Of the other finalists, the black guy was my favourite going in, but he kind of blew it in the end. The other woman was the strongest on the day, IMO.

Frustratingly, I feel there were some other artists who didn’t get through the heats that were robbed. The whole season could have turned out so very differently. I guess that’s the joy and frustration of such a subjective competition.

Andy Smith likes this.
  15. Andy Smith

Couldn't agree more. My missus summed up the work of the winner best when she said "It's too flat..". I know what she means but it IS a stunning interpretation of Nile Rodgers. Once this bloody virus has moved on, we will be going down to see it. The South African lady's work was the best on the day. Very three-dimensional. That should have won, undoubtedly.
    Be interesting to see how they're going to film next year's series. A lot of behind closed doors work I presume, with no audience and minimal crew to work with those concerned.

stepeanut likes this.
  16. stepeanut

That is what’s so fun and engaging about this show. My girlfriend and I have watched every season together, and we love debating the merits of the various contestants’ work, as well as the judges’ choices. We’ve tried Landscape Artist of the Year, but it’s not got the same magic.

Andy Smith likes this.
  17. Andy Smith

It really opens your eyes as to how much unknown talent there is out there. You're spot on about far 'better' efforts on previous shows have been overlooked. At least the show's producers are willing to give some previous artists call-back opportunities.
    We dig 'Landscape' too. We're gutted when they're over for the year. At least Sky have the common sense to repeat them often.

stepeanut likes this.
  18. stepeanut

I don’t know why, but neither of us can get into it in the same way. It is not like I have some special affection for portraiture; I love landscape painting just as much.

We did watch the landscape episode at Lyme Park, which is just down the road from us, and somewhere we have a deep love of.

Andy Smith likes this.
  19. HaileyMcComet

I've never been inside that place, but I've been to the Orff next door.

20. tvstrategies

A friend rented the upstairs for an event once and had it catered in. So many cool meeting places in Amsterdam

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    HaileyMcComet and Andy Smith like this.
  21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

22. Andy Smith

Love Amsterdam in Spring. Marvellous city from the air - especially when the tulips are out. Stunning.

elaterium and HaileyMcComet like this.
  23. Andy Smith

24. HaileyMcComet

I've walked past this a million times. I don't know why I never went in.

tvstrategies likes this.
  25. HaileyMcComet

It's great during Christmas, too.

tvstrategies and Andy Smith like this.