Considered A Classic Album ( But You Don't Call It That )

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Mar 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

There's a current and interesting thread about Jimi Hendrix' ' Electric Ladyland ' album. The OP said he wasn't into it . Many responded , some defending it as being a classic rock treasure while others chimed in saying it was alright but there was better Hendrix to be had. Other still stated Hendrix wasn' t their cup of tea.
    All valid comments but it got me thinking about the term ' Classic Album ' and how it might be tossed around too casually.
    Are there some of these 'Classic Albums ' that you feel don't live up to that worthy title?
    One album I cannot for the life of me see as having that title bestowed on it was King Crimson' s ' In The Court Of The Crimson King '. Admittedly I' m not that into prog rock but try as I will I can't sit through ' In The Court...'

2. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Hmmm... I can see a lot of people just posting albums of artists they generally don't like.

It would be far more interesting to see posts about an acknowledged "Classic Album" by an artist that the poster admires, but can't understand why it would be designated a classic. For example, I've seen many people on Van Morrison-themed forums scratch their heads about Astral Weeks, (which I adore, btw,) but that's kind of understandable, since it's not representative of the rest of his work.

As for myself, I don't get the classic status afforded Transformer by Lou Reed, although VU is one of my favorite bands. By comparison, Transformer seems lightweight, nearly cartoonish. I can hear almost no emotional investment in the music. But then I dislike solo Reed generally, so maybe I'm already breaking my own rule...:p

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  3. fried

fried Forum Resident

For me it's Steely Dan - Aja. Why on earth this light weight disco funk jazz is so revered is a mystery to me.

Then again I have a friend who hates anything by the Beatles. And my wife refuses to listen to any Dylan.

Musical taste ay.

2141, kannibal, Weirwolfe and 4 others like this.
  4. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Whether or not I like an album doesn’t affect whether it’s a classic or not IMO. That depends more on the general public opinion and the album’s standing among people. For example, I used to hate Pet Sounds (I’ve changed my mind since then) but even then I couldn’t deny it was a classic simply because it’s highly influential and respected. The same applies to In the Court of the Crimson King IMO. The album literally started a genre and continues to garner new fans and maintain respect. If that isn’t a classic I don’t know what is.

crispi, TGH7, dlabruyere and 9 others like this.
  5. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

I used to have a theory that women don't like Steely Dan, because I had never met a woman who did. My guess as to the reason-- well, they're not exactly models, and some of the lyrics have a "creepy old dude" vibe.

But then I found a couple of female posters on SHF that claimed to be fans, so there's an exception to every rule, (if they are, in fact, female... ya never really know on the internet.)

6. Donfrance

Donfrance As honest as a politician.

What is the exact definition of a classic album?
    For me Tommy, is a classic. A Night At The Opera is a classic. Why? Maybe because they're albums that aged well and starting bands can learn a thing or two from these albums. You know, sort of this is how it's to be done. Does that make it a classic album? No idea. To me it feels like it....

7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Everything sucks! I especially hate any album by Buddy Holly, what garbage.

pig bodine and Post-Punk Monk like this.
  8. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Jethro Tull have held the Secondmost favourite Band position in my heart for decades - topped only by The Who until 1979, then The Damned after. But I just do not consider Aqualung to be a classic album. It is an uneven, transitional album with some five-star classics and some hectoring, overlong material.

Apart from that, Loveless by My Bloody Valentine walks down the high street showing off its new clothes, but the little boy shouts 'The Emperor is naked!' and no one listens. But in response to the poster above, I never cared for MBV.

9. sami

sami Mono still rules

Part of the reason might be how well it was recorded and how good it sounds in virtually any format. The original pressings and the Cisco's are routinely touted as audiophile system testers.

DavidD, Vic_1957, rodentdog and 2 others like this.
  10. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Can you explain what you mean ???

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

On In The Court Of The Crimson King .... I understand why someone may not like it, but I don't know that, that would effect whether it is a classic album or not ...

..... I'm trying to think of an example for me .... ok, I like Tommy by the Who, but I don't love it, but either way it is still a classic album ...

I hope that makes sense.

12. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

For me, basically any so-called "classic rock." Whatever pleasures there were to be had were killed by radio overplay years ago.

13. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Trying to stay away from artists I'm not into to begin with.

The Black Crowes, Shake Your Money Maker: By no means a bad album, but I actually think it's one of the weaker albums in their catalog. Some highlights, but some weaker material as well, and I feel they hadn't really found their identity yet. Come Marc Ford and Eddie Harsch, and voila!

Prince, Dirty Minds: Very good record and the debut of Prince's Minneapolis Sound, but I feel the songwriting isn't as strong as on the self titled album or what would follow.

Steely Dan, Aja: By no means a bad album, but I don't know, it's kind of mid tier for me in the Steely Dan canon. Expertly crafted like any Steely Dan album, but I feel some of it's predecessors are more inspired as far as songs go.

The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: Great first side, awesome first side, then you get to the George tune, and it just kills the momentum. Honestly, Side Two- aside from "A Day In The Life"- is kind of weak by Beatles standards. I do understand why this was held as their greatest, since due to the US/UK split, Revolver got muddied along the way, whereas this was the first (correct me if I'm wrong) to have the same tracklist in all territories. Revolver isn't perfect either (then again, no album or work of art truly is if we want to get nitpicky), but it's easily the more consistent of the two.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  14. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

don't think it is considered a classic album

crispi, soarer29 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. Wildest cat from montana

[QUOTE="CrawdaddySim1, post: 23366917, member: 99984"

As for myself, I don't get the classic status afforded Transformer by Lou Reed, although VU is one of my favorite bands. By comparison, Transformer seems lightweight, nearly cartoonish. I can hear almost no emotional investment in the music. But then I dislike solo Reed generally, so maybe I'm already breaking my own rule...:p[/QUOTE]
    Apparently many would agree with you. Started a thread about ' Transformer ' last week and it sank like a stone.

CrawdaddySim1 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  16. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, I'm surprised that people have a hard time with this concept. I don't like The Eagles, but I recognize that many music fans regard Hotel California as a classic. No one is saying that everyone has to love Electric Ladyland, but it remains a classic.

17. fried

fried Forum Resident

I've wondered if it's just that too.

18. Wildest cat from montana

I hear that. Give me ' Pretzel Logic ' .Please.

19. Wildest cat from montana

Pistols at dawn? I'll be waiting.

zphage, samthesham and wrappedinsky like this.
  20. Zoot Marimba

And Royal Scam.

21. fried

fried Forum Resident

It's put me off delving futher.

22. Zoot Marimba

Further into what?

23. Wildest cat from montana

The abyss?

24. fried

fried Forum Resident

I have a listen after I'm done spinning my new disc.

25. Austinisoverrated

Austinisoverrated Active Member

Metallica's Black Album - Lots of filler

tkl7, Weirwolfe, lesterbangs and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.