Ipod Classic

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hbbfam, Mar 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

If you have a USB port in the car it should still connect.

jesterthejedi and D-rock like this.
  2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

No, that is the exact problem. When I connect with the 30 pin connector to USB, my stereo cannot recognize the device. I could still connect via aux as @NettleBed suggested (I’ve never bothered to try, but I assume that would work).

3. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I have a 2018 Accord no CD, no AUX, just one USB. It technically recognizes the Ipod classic but it doesn't really play nice.

2012 Ipod touch plays fine. Also, it WILL play Wav files on flash drives, I got a 256G Flash and filled it with wav files, so I don't really need the classic anymore.

But I still like having it. At some point, I imagine I'll find a good repurpose for it.

4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

For you guys who are buying the newer 1tb SSD's for your iPod classics, I've been told that only certain models works with those SSD drives and that many on other forums have said that the iTunes platform doesn't like to transfer more than around 50,000 songs, no matter how you have your songs downloaded. I haven't gone the SSD drive yet on an iPod, but if I could find somebody willing to change my two 160gb 7th gen. classics to SSD, rather than trust some of these unknown guys on eBay, then I'd probably do it? I recently bought a new 1tb iPad Pro and I'm still trying to get my Apple Lossless library (about 220gb) added to my standard AAC (330 and 192) songs library on an external SSD drive and eventually into that new iPad Pro.

timind likes this.
  5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

iPod 5.5G + Rockbox works well.

Or any other number of HDD-based Wolfson DAC devices, that can take a M.2 or a microSD adapter. Great battery life, drag and drop, multiple codec support.

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

I wasn't aware there were 1tb SSDs that could be mounted in ipods. Need to research that. Although, installing the SD cards is fairly straight forward, and the prices have gone down since I did mine.

As to which ipod models can be updated, here's a page with a chart: iFlash-Compatibility – iFlash.xyz
    Basically 5th gen and newer can be updated. The classsic (7th gen) and 5th gens can hold 1tb and handle 50,000 tracks. That's a lot of tracks.

Chris C likes this.
  7. Chris C

This guy in San Diego is doing 1tb iPods and he even has special exclusive 1tb backs for them!

https://www.cultofmac.com/626220/1tb-ipod-remy-sternbach/

BluesOvertookMe and BruceS like this.
  8. timind

timind phorum rezident

9. Chris C

Far too pricy for me, but he is charging that much including the iPod, rather than just doing an iPod SSD changeover to one that you send in to have done!

10. timind

timind phorum rezident

After a quick check it looks like the SSD is the way to go for 1tb. Might have to try it.

11. coepc

coepc Forum Resident

I discovered a guy on Etsy , seems to upgrade old ones or can buy an iPod from his shop.

BluesOvertookMe and Chris C like this.
  12. coepc

coepc Forum Resident

Man their really phasing out car audio components fast to only be Bluetooth or usb, can’t believe not even an aux-in port. I just bought a 2014 Honda Accord EX-L last year, and it has CD player, Aux port, USB and BT.

13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

My 160gb classic got me through many years of 4 hours of train/subway/walk commuting a day. At one point I shuffled through 2,500 + songs without a repeat. Now that my commute is only 4 minutes, I only use it when out raking leaves or shoveling snow. Most of what's on it was ripped from the CD library at my old job. We had about 300,000 CDs, so when I got interested in an artist I just dumped all their stuff onto my iPod. I also downloaded a fair amount of live stuff. The battery doesn't hold a charge like it used to, but other than that, no complaints.

steelydanguy likes this.
  14. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

I have used a 160gb gen 7 for more than a decade in my classrooms with a Sony strde405 hooked up to Paradigm 3se.

It sounds GOOD. Just played Dylan's "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" -- loud -- to my seniors after reading Joyce Carol Oates' "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been."

I plan on upgrading it to SSD eventually, and will purchase others from eBay that are SSD. It is an awesome machine, and its dac is quite serviceable for a pocket-sized device.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I still have 3 working units...iPod Photo 60 gig, iPod 80 gig and a iPod Nano 16 gig...

16. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I absolutely love my 3 I-pods ( 120g Classic, Nano Clip, and plain Nano). The two that have the wider charger (must be the 30 pin) will not charge unless hooked up to the computer with I-tunes on it. That’s the only complaint I have.

Michael likes this.
  17. Michael

that's weird all 3 of mine are 30 pin and work fine with a standard charger 5V-1A?

EddieMann likes this.
  18. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I loved mine but the hard drive died and that was it. :(
    Kind of an anachronism after streaming although I don't stream. It's back to CDs and vinyl but I can't say I mind too much.

Ro-Go likes this.
  19. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

LOVE my 5.5 iPod. Upgraded the HD to 240GB and load everything in Apple Lossless. Sounds very nice over my 60s RCA tube amp. Works great with the aftermarket Kenwood CD player I put in my vehicle. We bought my wife a new Subaru and neither of our iPods work with it. I also have no interest in tearing into this vehicle to replace the stereo. It's a shame but whenever I buy a new vehicle, I'll have to settle for a major downgrade on the stereo. I really dislike some technological advances. I use to tear into every vehicle and replace the stereo and speakers.

Ro-Go, Chris C and timind like this.
  20. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I completely agree. I have had my iPod classic 160 gb for 10 years and have used it practically everyday for 4-5 hours. I just went for a walk and it stopped playing my songs! I always freak out when it has a glitch. I got it working again! What happens when it no longer works? I can't stand streaming, especially Spotify. I hope they bring it back at some point.

GMfan87' likes this.
  21. timind

timind phorum rezident

When the hard drive fails, replace it with an 256gb SSD for less than $100 if you DIY. The way I see it, you might as well give it a shot as the ipod is dead anyway.

Ro-Go, rodentdog and palisantrancho like this.
  22. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

I have the old Classic and used it for many years but it started failing a year ago so I bought the new 256gig 7th generation. Love it

palisantrancho likes this.
  23. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I guess that's an option, but I like the simplicity of the classic. I don't get the need for the touch with all the apps when I have an iPhone. I would just like a music player. I may be crazy, but I would think there would be a market for that. Why not release a limited edition iPod classic with 256gb or more?

KLM likes this.
  24. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

What I love about my old iPods is no iOS to go obsolete, as eventually happens with Touch and iPhone as they get older. It's true the connector is obsolete, and the battery or drive could go, but the latter can be replaced and I've got old connectors floating around. My Classic still sounds great. It's an old pal!

25. Michael

Old iPods...don't you have to keep it updated with the current version of itunes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.