Ipod Classic

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hbbfam, Mar 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Not the OS on the Classics to speak of, the last update was about 6 or 7 years ago. iTunes will still link up with them, at least my classic does.

sharedon and Michael like this.
  2. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

The day after Apple unceremoniously discontinued the iPod Classic I did a frantic local search for any remaining in stores. I was so fond of my 160GB Classic that I never wanted to have to live without it! I found two new ones in stock within a 50-mile radius and bought them both. Happy to report both of those are still in their sealed boxes and my original soldiers on today, Long live the Classic!

And I’m not just a portable-ear-bud iPod user. Mine is loaded with lossless files of CD rips or analog LP conversions, and accessible through any of my hi-fi systems via CD players with either iPod direct plug-in connectors, or USB input which, in many cases, improve on the Wolfson DAC. I even have a fantastic Harman/Kardon portable large iPod Go+Play box that adds hi-fidelity anywhere I want to take it.

steelydanguy, timind, Chris C and 2 others like this.
  3. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Nice! Wish I had done the same.

4. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

+1

It's been sitting in my drawer for several years. Haven't really been motivated enough to do something about it.

5. coepc

coepc Forum Resident

Same thing happened to mine, at the time it gave out buying a new one seemed too out of my budget. I moved on to Sansa Clips (I still have three), and a random Chinese brand DAP a few years ago, also bought some headphone amps. Then I had two LG smartphones, now an iphone, plus another iphone from my job, all good audio players, as is my ipad and laptop. I have some great wireless speakers and really taken to streaming music to them the past few years.

With all the devices I have to play music on now I’m not sure resurrecting my old iPod is money well spent, all things considered.

Adam9 likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, that's what I was referring to...my nano had no problems hooking up with itunes...

7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

:wave:, i feel your pains! Sadly, APPLE has yet to prove to be into the "looking back" business or have any kind of "nostalgia", but maybe one day, as a kind memory to the late Steve Jobs and his original great vision, they will bring back "iTunes" (as it once was, not this new "music" version), along with a hand held device with LOTS of storage that ISN'T a PHONE! I have never wanted my music associated with a phone and I never will!!! A great camera, calculator, directions and Safari are all that I want in a phone, outside of texting and the ability to call someone.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    GMfan87' and palisantrancho like this.
  8. Chris C

No, but I have sadly learned with my new iPad Pro 11, that you do! Now that APPLE has eliminated all but one connection on those new iPads (there isn't even a headphone jack anymore, which is unacceptable, in my opinion!), it's nearly impossible to get anything in (or out) of that thing, without getting that new IOS, which "releases the locks that they have in place with doing such things". However, I refuse to get that latest IOS update, as I know that it will kill my ability to use my "DJAY" DJ app, which I use (and NEED), for my mobile DJ business. It's hard explaining to a bride and groom that has a contract with me, that because APPLE wanted to screw DJ's around the world, I can't use their iTunes platform as I have for the past 15 or more years and of which I have invested hundreds upon hundreds of hours, building my library, all so they can now attempt to force me to stream everything. I promise you, if I were to give into their little "plan" and I play some dirty rap song at a wedding, that isn't the "clean version" that I took the time to load into my iTunes library and that dirty version comes out of the speakers and parents stare me down, that's a deal killer if ever there was one. But, why should APPLE care about such issues, when they just shove it down our throats and never even gave it a thought for a second of how this might effect DJ's like myself, who try to provide a "classy" presentation?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Tim 2 likes this.
  9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Mine is just about done for.
    It's been slogged around and had so much use.
    I replaced the battery in it probably about 5 years back, but the dial is playing up and it takes a while to process.
    Totally messed up the case trying to open it, but it's scratched to pieces now from severe use.

Tim 2 likes this.
  10. Chris C

Rick, the good news is, (as long as you still have your iTunes library available to use), you can always buy a used iPod Classic to replace your old one and the music can live again for you!

GMfan87' and Rick Bartlett like this.
  11. Rick Bartlett

A great little device, the fact we're still talking about those old 160Gb's in 2020 and how well they still hold up.

steelydanguy, Chris C and Tim 2 like this.
  12. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

The 7th gen should be ok with a big SSD. I got a 512gb SSD and a new battery installed in mine before Xmas, cost me £176 but I'm hoping to get another 10 years out of it now.

The SSD makes everything run a bit smoother - scrolling through coverflow etc. Bit of an investment but I still like my old playlists. Haven't been played in the last 12 months/18 months/24 months etc.

Good way to work through music I haven't listened to recently.

Chris C and timind like this.
  13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Good point. I can't tell you how long I've had mine, it doesn't owe me anything, in fact I owe it.

timind and Rick Bartlett like this.
  14. Rick Bartlett

They were built really well.
    Mine went to gigs to use as background music, thrown around in cars, slept on, dropped, covered in water....
    Mine is full up with lots of stuff too.
    Music to Audiobooks.
    MY challenge was to fill it up with 160K MP3's, and it's full as far as it will go.
    Probably why it's become 'sluggish' too with a lot of stuff on it I've never even heard.

timind and Tim 2 like this.
  15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Wow, yours had a full life Rick. Mine stayed on an audio shelf most of it's life other than taking it on the odd road trip in the Jeep. Purchased the clear security case but probably didn't need it.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  16. Rick Bartlett

"it doesn't owe me anything, in fact I owe it"
    Prophet Tim 2
    :uhhuh:

Tim 2 likes this.
  17. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I never had an issue with iTunes...other than the alphabetical by first name thing. I loved the drag and drop ease of adding artwork and spent far too many hours adding original album art for old Blue Note albums and separate single artwork for bands like Maiden etc. My 160gb on shuffle is the best radio station in the World.

cmcintyre and Eric_Generic like this.
  18. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Nope

Eric_Generic likes this.
  19. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I have have 2 160gb classics and a Nano classic for the wife. I have 2 dead ones as well, one 80gb and one 160gb. I still use them in my cars.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

No, I am still using iTunes 10.7 - no idea what number they are up to now, but I never allow it to update/install the latest version.

EG.

Michael likes this.
  21. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

My 160GB Classic loaded with AAC versions of my library, and modded 60GB Video (now sporting a 128GB SD card) both work but see little use these days.

Instead, I’m more likely to be using my 256GB iPhone or Sony NWA45 with 400GB micro SD card (loaded with lossless rips).

I’ve been a heavy user of the old iPods over the years, but for me they are all semi retired now.

sharedon likes this.
  22. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Not sure if someone else has already posted it, but there is a fairly well supported alternative OS for iPods called Rockbox.

Rockbox - Free Music Player Firmware

It ditches the requirement for iTunes, adds a bunch of file formats (flac, opus, and ogg, for example) allows for skins, gapless playback, and a bunch of other neat features.

It works on most iPod variants except for the very first ones, the shuffle, and a few versions of the Nano.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  23. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

I have a tiny iPod Shuffle. It doesn't even have a display...you have to fiddle with buttons to navigate. It actually doesn't sound so bad at all. Its current and likely future use is audiobooks for my wife. 4th Gen., 2 GB, silver.

24. Michael

why?

25. Michael

gotcha...

sharedon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.