Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

What is the red thing behind Elvis?

Ted Mooney and mark winstanley like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Idk lol

3. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Looks like some sort of gate

croquetlawns and mark winstanley like this.
  4. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

It looks like some of that Psychedelic French Quarter decor from the bordello scene of the comeback special to me.

[​IMG]

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I like the foreground more than the background myself :)

6. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I hear that Elvis did as well.

JLGB, croquetlawns, Revelator and 2 others like this.
  7. Ted Mooney

Ted Mooney Eclectic Music Fan

I have been a fan for the best part of fifty years.My favourite era has kept changing over the years.For the last twenty odd years it's been the seventies with special emphasis on the studio recordings between 1973 to 1976.All six studio albums were patchy but they all had some great moments.From the earlier part of the decade I really rate Elvis Country and 'Elvis That's The Way It Is album.For me the weakest tracks from the seventies are on the following three albums made up of leftovers,Love Letters From Elvis,Elvis Now and 1973's Elvis which was later dubbed 'The Fool' album.Apart from the 1970 re-recording of the title track the Love Letters album is full of mediocre material.Help Make It Through The Night and Until It's Time For You To Go are the only decent tracks on Elvis Now.I really dislike his version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.If he had done it at the same tempo as Roberta Flack's version with just a piano and bass guitar he could have done a much better job.The Fool album is a real ragbag ,the title track,Where Do We Go From Here,Love Me Love The Life I Lead are all weak tracks.It is redeemed by the three 1971 cuts with just Elvis and piano I'll Take You Home Kathleen and two Ivory Joe Hunter songs,I Will Be True and It's Still Here.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Spencer R, jeremylr, Dave112 and 3 others like this.
  8. Ted Mooney

I have long thought that Elvis didn't appear to be in particularly good voice on a lot of the studio cuts from between 1971 and 1972.I put this down to lack of interest on Elvis's part rather than any wear and tare.He sounds particularly shaky on Fool from 1972.He is on much better form on the Madison Square Gardens live album from 1972.He is less than stellar on some of the first recordings from the 1973 Stax sessions.It has been well documented that he wasn't in the best of humours on those initial sessions at Stax.Sounds an awful lot better on the tracks that made up the Good Times and Promised Land albums.The 1975 Elvis Today album finds him in very good voice.He also seems to be in good voice on a lot of the Jungle Room sessions from 1976.Quite remarkable given his physical and mental state.

JLGB, jeremylr, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  9. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I bounce around in my Elvis era listening too. I find that these are the ways that I would rank my favorite Elvis recordings eras. Keep in mind that these are not to say which is better but just how I find myself listening to Elvis' music. From highest played frequency to lowest. I think that I may be backwards from the majority of Elvis fans.

1. 1970-73
    2. 1974-77
    3. 1966-69
    4. 1960-63
    5. 1954-56
    6. 1964-65
    7. 1957-59

I'm curious about how you would rank your favorite Elvis recordings eras Ted Mooney.

10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I am curious too about how @Ted Mooney would rank his favorite Elvis' eras. I think Dave and I have the same top 4 eras, although my exact top four order is subject to change at any given time. I want to welcome Mr. Mooney to the forum as well. It is always great whenever we get a new Elvis admirer on board and we get to hear some fresh impressions on the King's music!

11. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Yes, and increasing drug intake. He had achieved his comeback but found himself on a plateau. Boredom and pills teamed up to affect his recordings.

That's because in between the first and later Stax sessions Elvis underwent an 18 day hospital stay, which counts as a partial (albeit temporary) detox. Also, in between sessions he finally divorced Lisa Marie and hooked up with Linda Thompson. As Jorgensen writes, "RCA’s demand for new material caught Elvis at a much better time than it had back in July [1973]. The hospitalization in October had given him a much-needed rest as well as a strong motivation to clean up his lifestyle. And with Linda Thompson at his side, Elvis seemed to be looking to the future with both confidence and determination."

Not surprisingly, that album was recorded after yet another hospital stay and partial detox, which was followed by a month of recuperation.

ZoSoUK, Ted Mooney, Dave112 and 3 others like this.
  12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I know that Revelator meant to say Elvis "finally divorced Priscilla and hooked up with Linda Thompson."

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Heh. Of course Lisa Marie has had more than her share of divorces too.

14. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Damn, and now it's too late to edit the damn post! Ick ick ick.

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If Elvis had lived longer they could have become a father/daughter act like the Kendalls, singing adultery songs to each other.

16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I have made far more of those types of "mental typos" than you ever will, my friend.

17. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

The Kendalls!!! Thanks for the ear worm! The creepiest music act that I ever witnessed. No death metal band could hope to give me the creeps like they did. They were a hit back in the day and most people thought nothing of it. Go figure.

18. Ted Mooney

19. Ted Mooney

R steven,thanks for your kind welcome to the forum.I'm glad to be a part of it.

20. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I would not mind seeing a bit of the background of the foreground.

21. croquetlawns

I understand the complaints about adding extra tracks to some of the albums in the Albums Collection box, but Elvis Now really benefits from it. For me, side 1 is a washout - I like tracks 1 and 5 - but side 2 is pretty decent - I'd skip 'I Was Born About'. But with the addition of the three other tracks, especially I'm Leavin' and It's Only Love, it becomes a cd I'll definitely play again.

Shawn, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  22. croquetlawns

Actually, it also makes me think of Mark's point about how strong some of these albums would have been if they had included some of the tracks put out on singles.

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  23. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Elvis Is Back!, Something For Everybody, and From Elvis In Memphis would be radically changed in their general perception.

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  24. croquetlawns

Agreed - with Elvis is Back and From Elvis In Memphis it may have made them a little uneven (eg. I love It's Now or Never but I'm not sure it would fit on EIB), but it probably would have also helped them get the sales that they deserved.

25. prostx23

prostx23 Somewhat Gentleman of Mediocre Sophistication

I know this was not directed at me...but I thought I'd chime in. When I first remember starting to listen to Elvis (roughly age 3 or 4) to mid teens 1. 50's, 2. 60's, 3. 70's. From mid teens to mid 20's 1. 60's, 2. 50's, 3. 70's. From that point to now (I'm 47) 1. 70's, 2. 60's, 3. 50's.

I don't know why or how it flipped, but there it is... and my definition of those eras are
    1950's - Sun to Army
    1960's - Post Army to Memphis Sessions
    1970's - Everything after

I will admit sometimes having issues categorizing his 1969 Memphis sessions. They sound much more like his 70's work than anything else he had done in the 60's.