Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Hot damn! I just listened to the live CD. Man, he was smokin'! That sounded like a great show. Only 75 minutes maybe, but going from one climax to another.
    :drool:

2. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

I'm not such a hardcore Prince fan that I know everything about unreleased songs and what else might be residing in The Vault. But I saw in the entry for this set on Princevault.com that archivist Michael Howe tried to locate a supposed initial version of Baby I'm A Star that was supposedly recorded during this period. In another interview he also mentioned that Raspberry Beret originated in this time. No recording of that one could be found either, but he theorized that the final version of that song was recorded over the original tracks, with later additions being overdubbed.
    This made me think, are there any other significant songs known in existence that did not end up on the 1999 Super Deluxe Set? Apart from Lust U Always and Extralovable that is. No need to rehash that discussion again from earlier in this thread. We know why those were not included. But are there any other songs that could have ended up on this set but didn't?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

You’re not such a hardcore fan? :angel:

I believe they did a very good job with this set. Besides the songs we don’t know exists, there are a couple of songs that could have been included, like:
    - all songs on Vanity 6
    - all songs on What Time Is It?
    - Too Much
    - Baby I’m A Star
    - Raspberry Beret
    - I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
    - Mia Bocca
    - Boom Boom
    - Fox Trap
    - Moral Majority
    - Jerk Out
    - New Position
    - My Baby Knows How To Love Me
    - U Should Be Mine
    - Wet Dream Cousin
    - Girl Of My Dreams
    - Extraloveable
    - Lust U Always

Most of them could be on a Originals set. Others might be part of a Parade or SOTT set.

4. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

May I ask if the quality of the vinyl is any good on the whole 10 LP set? I have the CD set but considering the vinyl..........

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been very happy with my copy.

6. April Snow

OK thank you, I just don't want to spend money for records that are full of pops and clicks .........................glad to hear you like them :)

7. April Snow

I have ordered the vinyl deluxe, waiting on it's arrival - coming from US to Australia - so won't be until early March :)
    Thanks for the encouragement guys !! :pineapple:

8. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

This is one of my favorite Prince songs and I'd love to know more about its origins. I don't know much about his unreleased stuff beyond the recent Purple Rain and 1999 super deluxe editions.

Have any early versions leaked? PrinceVault says that the basic tracking is from 1982 and some parts were added in 1986. Is that what we're hearing on the album? And there's a YouTube comment that says, "There’s an early demo recording of this from either ‘79 or ‘80 that just smokes. Seek it out." I'm not sure if I believe it's that old, but clearly the commenter heard an earlier version.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

there's no early demo of ICNTTPOYM circulating, the YouTube comment is just bragging

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Hey guys, I noticed today that my LP #9 side B has some damage, resulting in some pops.

I guess the live concert on LP is exclusive to this OOP box, any ideas on how I can get a replacement? Don’t mind paying, just don’t wanna buy a whole ‘nother box :)

11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Still loving my CD set - the 2 Vault disks still get heavy playing rotation when I need to get my groove on. Bold Generation is a revelation

Jayseph, Lewisboogie, 905 and 2 others like this.
  12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Quoting myself, but after I call to the official Prince online store, there are no available replacement options.

I would appreciate any creative thinking for how I can get a replacement LP #9. Thanks Prince fans!

13. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

Anyone know if they'll be reissuing the 5 CD/DVD box set? I can't believe it's out of stock everywhere!

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

That's how good it is! :)
    What are prices like on the auction site etc?

Lewisboogie and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Yes, I heard that the 5 CD/DVD version will become available again soon (the 10 LP/DVD version is out of print though). It appears Warner underestimated the demand. This as Originals sold less than expected (apparently even less than Piano & A Microphone 1983) and that sales of the Sony reissues (of the later years) are also light. But the 1999 Super Deluxe is a different beast though.

905, Matthew Tate and croquetlawns like this.
  16. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I think in the U.K. the ridiculous prices may have dented sales on some of these Prince releases of late ..£30-£40 in hmv for some of them , not much cheaper on amazon ..

Timjosephuk, Matthew Tate and Porkpie like this.
  17. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Probably a good time to buy the vinyl set on Amazon before they run out then.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

ITS JUST ONE LOUSY MOTHER****** DIME

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  19. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

1999 super deluxe vinyl is oop? Glad I picked it up when I did

20. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

Are you sure? I asked Rhino and just got a response today:

"We do not have current plans for this release, but thank you for your email and your input."

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

No, I'm not completely sure. It's just what I heard from someone who is a bit more informed (but certainly not affiliated with Warner, etc.). But usually his information is quite good.

bmusic likes this.
  22. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I don’t know whether they will or won’t press more, but I wouldn’t trust whoever they put in charge of email this week at Rhino to be informed on the topic. :shrug::tiphat:

bmusic likes this.
  23. April Snow

24. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

I ordered the CD box on Amazon on... let's see... Dec. 29. Still on backorder! I have no confidence I'll ever get a copy but I'm keeping the order in place until Amazon tells me otherwise.

superstar19, 905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Don’t hold your breath. It’s OOP in the States. Amazon Canada still has them in stock. This copy just arrived (ordered it a couple days ago) and set me back US$63. Put the DVD in first to make sure it plays. Turns out that it’s region 0 and the set is made in the EU, so you’d probably be fine getting a copy from a European retailer too. Japan might be PAL instead of NTSC, so be careful.

Matthew Tate likes this.