Why so much interest in negative aspects of music here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

With all due respect, I think you’re a bit narrow in your view that “thread bashing” is somehow related to negative criticism. Maybe we should stop using colloquial terms like “bashing” and use more specific nomenclature. Words matter. If you enjoy “negative” movies then you shouldn’t have a problem with people discussing their negative opinions about things they feel negative about. It’s pretty simple.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

Larry Coryell once wrote to me, "with all due respect." From him, that was quite the compliment. But that was Larry, ya know?

3. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

The 'slamming artists out of hand' is the really objectionable thing.

4. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

I think people might have overlooked a very simple reason:
    music lovers are moodier or more depressive than typical music listeners

5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Yes..some seem to delight in getting in first with the " this has been done before " comment. Irritating as a mosquito buzzing your ear. Rude too. And ignorant. What if it was indeed 'done before"? It's being done again and will no doubt be done again. I challenge anyone to come up with a truly 'new' topic for discussion. And I don' t mean something like 'album covers that have rabid dogs chasing rabbits on the cover '

Jarleboy and Bluesman Mark like this.
  6. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

The music I like is better than the music you like.

[​IMG]

:D

Jarleboy and keefer1970 like this.
  7. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I 100% agree. I'm not talking about bad masterings to avoid, things like that. That, to me, is just plain useful info.

My problem is with posts/threads like the ones where people pick the worst song on an album, or the worst album by a band. I don't have time for that. I like thinking about the good things a band has done. Oh yeah, the weakest link threads. Don't understand those at all. Let me expend valuable brain power thinking about the worst song on an album. No thank you. I have better things to do.

Maybe it's a glass half full, half empty thing. I tend to be more optimistic about life in general, so I focus on the good aspects of the artists/bands I listen to, not the negative.

I don't agree with this at all. I've been playing guitar for over 30 years, been in bands throughout my life, have tons of CDs, albums, etc. Moodier and depressive? Nope. I will say that I'm more emotional about the music that I like in a positive way.

8. Brian Lux

Great post, Kevin. I really like your positive approach to music. Why have it any other way?!

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Amen. Life's too short. :D

Jarleboy and Brian Lux like this.
  10. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Couldn’t agree more. Never understood the point of the “weakest link” concept. That said, I have to confess to once starting an “Abbey Road – Least favourite track” poll, mainly to find out if “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” really was the song everyone disliked more than any other. It was interesting to see that it only got 35% of the vote. Negative as that poll is, it was also fascinating how it revealed the LEAST disliked song to be “You Never Give Me Your Money” (0% of the votes). Yet that song seems highly unlikely to win a “favourite-track” poll. So, in other words, framing a question negatively proved to be rather insightful.

Jarleboy, kevin5brown and carlwm like this.
  11. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Some would say this brings up conversations, but after being on this forum for awhile, that gets old quick. Need some optimism to start my morning.

12. steppednwhat

steppednwhat I hallucinate on Dr. Pepper

You're beautiful.

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. Slash-n-burn

Slash-n-burn Forum Resident

I am convinced that some users see this website as a vehicle by which to speak dismissively of bands and artists that they don’t like.

ARK and Jarleboy like this.
  14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I don't know it's bizarre

Slash-n-burn likes this.
  15. Brian Lux

Wow! Thread revival! Seems like yeeeeeeears ago.

Davido likes this.
  16. Slash-n-burn

Slash-n-burn Forum Resident

Are we really though? That reads like a gross overgeneralisation.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

In defining one's own tastes, what one doesn't like in music is every bit as important as what one does like in music. As such the passion (or whatever drives one to listen to music) can be no less marked for things one doesn't like than for things one does like. I would expect this to be more acute in musicians (who have an active interest in defining and refining their own musicianship and style), but many non musicians can be just as intense with it. However, one doesn't listen to music for the negatives.

18. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

:laugh: It's a club to which I'll never be invited, thank goodness.

Brian Lux likes this.
  19. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

To speak about what's good without speaking about what's not, in someone's opinion (it's all opinion) is impossible if a good, vibrant discourse and debate is to ensue. We should not be fearful or dissuade negative opinions as long as they're made with a substantial basis in fact or a "backed-up", explained opinion by the individual making the argument. Negativity however should not be used as a tool to humiliate or "one better", or shout louder then anyone or any opinion... what's the point of that?

I believe it's to an extent a generational issue... thinking a dissenting opinion is harmful, impolite or insulting. I think it's just rubbish; again, as long as it's done in a respectful informative manner. Bring it on! I welcome it; I want to learn something. Show me a different point of view and I'll forever be your debt for expanding my understanding. I don't even have to agree. ...and here's why I don't agree... Long live critical thinking and free expression.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  20. fenderesq

It's ALL useful if there's some basis in fact or valid thought-out thoughtful opinion and it's articulated well.

21. fenderesq

I'm not sure "they" actually "like" it... I believe it's often a maneuver to mask a lack of something... maybe knowledge or genuine opinion; confidence in an opinion and a need to be heard. Or possibly a fear of some sort of understanding another point of view which differs from that which one is comfortable in. I can understand it being difficult for one to admit they don't have all the answers.

Holy crap... that sounds like a bunch of 101 psych pablum. Blahbity - Blahbity - Blahbity - Blah. What the hell do I know anyway. Please pass the joint brother.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    MikeManaic61 and Brian Lux like this.
  22. fenderesq

Was that Oscar Wilde or Oscar The Grouch?

ARK and Michael like this.
  23. fenderesq

Good one Michael!

Michael likes this.
  24. Brian Lux

:D

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

: )