Why so much interest in negative aspects of music here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Jul 25, 2019.

1. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

More cowbell!

2. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I think they generally elicit more responses, so that increases the incentive to create them.

Sear likes this.
  3. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

LOL. I asked a lady friend of mine one time what kind of music she liked. She said, "Oh, all kind of music. But nothing with cowbells!!!" Any time we talked about music it was, "NO COWBELLS!!!" :laugh:

4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that's it, really, case in point; the Charlie Watts is a bad drummer thread, tons or responses, if there was a Charlie Watts is awesome, I doubt people would be so keen, nothing to really discuss I guess.... but the good thing is most negative threads are actually positive in the end, the 'band members who were jerks in person' is mostly stories of nice encounters...and Charlie watts thread is almost all about how great he is. Theres a 'Lou Reed sucks' thread somewhere and its almost all a lovefest. SHF members are mostly old softies

5. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It reads, "We even tend to make decisions based on negative information." Other than not liking it, what decision is there to make?

6. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I never thought that

7. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Sometimes I read negative reviews of albums, movies, books or art exhibitions and I think that sounds really interesting, I have to check that out.

8. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Maybe because I am just as passionate about what I don't like musically as I am about what I do like. Kinda like human nature, ya know?

Sear, no.nine and Bluesman Mark like this.
  9. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

That's a rather negative take;)

10. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Sometimes bands use those as publicity. I remember the band James using some quote like "worst band in the world".

Electric likes this.
  11. Christian Hill

12. Christian Hill

13. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

so confused by this as a kid. why would they release their worst....and its really good. doesn't make sense

14. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Human nature.

Michael and Electric like this.
  15. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

That I do like it? :) I'm glad you quoted that psychology post, because I don't understand that point of view at all. I listen to the bands and artists that I listen to, because I like them, not because I don't not like them. Sheesh.

I married my wife, because I like her, not because of the negatives. I drive the car I drive, because I like it, not because it has less negatives than any other particular car.

This sums it up for me:

Why so much interest in negative aspects of music here?

Let me focus on when I'm going to die, vs what fun new thing I can do tomorrow. Man, easy decision.

Life's too short to focus on the negative.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Jarleboy and Spadeygrove like this.
  16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

To be fair, this is true:

Except that this applies to problem solving. "Well, that didn't work."

In terms of music, we all have to sift through songs and artists that we don't like to help find the ones that connect. It always seemed to me that for music (or food), there's not much difference between something that you're indifferent toward and something that you despise. Simply decide that it's not to your tastes. Then choose what you do enjoy, and make the most out of it.

This isn't 10th grade anymore. We don't have to be defined by dislikes. A lot of members of this forum, however, clearly haven't gotten past that yet! :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Jarleboy, wellhamsrus and kevin5brown like this.
  17. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

whenever I see a thread like this I wonder about these people who want all discussions reduced to happy talk.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Happy talk?

19. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

If all we had were "oh I love this band" "oh yeah I love that band too!" we would essentially just have a forum of Chris Farley's talking to Paul McCartney

Of course it is important to be polite when expressing a negative opinion and respectful of the fact it is an opinion, however if negative opinions weren't allowed it would be a very boring place

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's an excuse! I find it more rewarding discussing the positives over the negatives...but then again some ppl just can't work that way...misery.

Jarleboy and steve phillips like this.
  21. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Nope, you don't get it.

I like this band because of the songwriting, and sophisticated musical structures they use in their songs.

I like this other band, because they just look so cool on stage, and play such heavy music.

Not all happy is the same happy. Sheesh. I for sorry for both of you. :wave:

22. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Because most music sucks and only I know what is good...

23. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Very well said, my sentiments exactly

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I call BS. She's probably been "taught" to recognize the sound by the Saturday Night Live skit, as a negative element, without a clue as to just how many songs she loves and bounces her head to week-in and week-out, thanks to that very versatile component of a funky backbeat.

25. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

I'm not sure some of you understood or thoroughly read what I wrote in the first place. I never said I expected there to be no negative comments about some music. And I never said I expected every comment here to be happy happy happy, la la la. Maybe try reading the original post again? Or maybe some of you just like leaving negative responses to something someone did not say.

Hi hi! Hi ho! Ho Hum! or Humbug! Your choice.

Now if you will excuse me (thank you Jimi) I am going to go listen to some good music... and dig it!