Madness all-purpose discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peace N. Love, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident Thread Starter

Be curious to hear your thoughts on the later albums, unless you're already familiar with them. For example, I love the Keep Moving and Rise and Fall LPs, possibly my favorites, but they are a whole different thing than One Step Beyond, and I've met people who think Madness weren't as good after OSB.

2. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I bought one of those pin badges from Amazon a few years ago!

Of course, I'm a bit of a fan of this band... :D Have been since hearing The Prince on Two Tone records. As I type, I'm playing the CD single (CD2 actually) of Lovestruck and it took me back to '79 when I first heard that.

I didn't get to see this thread when it was created... went off the forum and limited my Internet usage in general for an extended period but have spotted it once or twice since then and thought I'd have a good look through when I have plenty of free time. That last sentence doesn't sound right to me some how. Me, free time? But there are worse things to lose sleep over IMO and at least I never gave up on them... ;)

3. Greg Arkadin

Greg Arkadin Forum Resident

The Liberty of Norton Folgate is a career highlight and reintroduced me to the band. What a surprise.

4. OneStepBeyond

Hmm... interesting! :o :D But I'd say The Rise And Fall is still their best. The production on Mad Not Mad is incredible IMO and really suits them but funnily enough I was rapidly losing interest compared to the earlier stuff. OSB and Absolutely (and definitely) 7 do have their filler but like their single b-sides, I think it all adds to their... mystique in a way. A band with usually a jolly, bouncy sound writing so many dark lyrics? Yes indeed.

5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

:agree:

6. OneStepBeyond

I did that a lot - a friend had it as the only single of theirs... I we were still some way off leaving school BUT he thought it was the greatest thing they had done. IIRC the first of theirs I didn't buy (until I got it many moons later, for the fold out picture sleeve of course ;) and I have a picture disc of it as well!) A lot of the time I preferred the b-side and the locked groove that I'd only heard on the Slade Alive LP prior to that (I'd didn't hear 'Pepper' for a long time later... and only got it on LP about 5 years ago.) I like the instrumental section and that makes it worth me hearing it now but as the song progresses, I seem to be more forgiving of it. Odd! I don't skip it any more but usually have a :rolleyes: moment during the intro and first lines of lyric lol.

danielbravo and rediffusion like this.
  7. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

I really liked the song "Never Knew Your Name" that they released in 2012.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  8. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

That's where I got to see Madness as well. Blimey it was longer ago than I thought. Can't remember who else was on the bill. Doctor and the Medics possibly.

Peace N. Love and OneStepBeyond like this.
  9. Peace N. Love

I waver between Rise and Fall and Keep Moving as my favourite. I don't think either has a bad track.

10. Peace N. Love

The Wailers and Black Uhuru, too. I remember there was a local group called Fluke... I was so excited to see Madness, great show... then within a month or so, they'd split up...

11. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

I'm new to this thread but would like to make a statement and then ask a couple of questions...

First, the statement... I really enjoy the Madness compilation album in the US, Canada and Japan was released instead of "The Rise and Fall" in America. Madness - Madness
    Madness - Madness
    For example, if you were growing up in the US, and you heard the songs "Our House" or "It Must Be Love" on MTV or on the radio, this is the album you went out and bought. "The Rise and Fall" was very hard to find as an import, especially 15 years pre-internet shopping. If you're a fan in the UK, what are your thoughts on this compilation? In the US, many of us treasure it, down to the artwork.

Also, does anyone pick up the influence Madness had on Blur? I especially hear it on "The Great Escape"... thoughts?

12. Kernow Boy

Kernow Boy I don't like it

Madness went from a ska band to a more mainstream pop act after 1980 imo. It was still Madness - just a lot more polished. That is why they survived well into the eighties and some other 2 Tone ska bands didn't. I loved them back in '79 when I was 10 years old, and still love 'em today.

13. django68

django68 Forum Resident

In the UK we are interested in the Madness album because of the exclusive remixes of It Must Be Love and Night Boat To Cairo. I picked it up on import CD many years ago; the remixes are an interesting anomaly, but I would bever swap them for the originals.

14. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Just remembered - talking about the US mixes, a new US Madness compilation is out on May 15 2020. A very skimpy 12 tracks, but it features the first physical release of "Bullingdon Boys," previously only available as a download.

Our House – The Very Best of Madness
    Full track listing:

1. Our House
    2. It Must Be Love
    3. House of Fun
    4. Baggy Trousers
    5. Embarrassment
    6. NW5
    7. One Step Beyond
    8. The Prince
    9. Wings of a Dove
    10. Mr Apples
    11. Bullingdon Boys
    12. Night Boat to Cairo (US Version)

15. OneStepBeyond

Being honest, the singles released after TR&F weren't doing it for me as much as what I'd been hearing and buying up to that point. I can't remember excatly what I went onto but my tastes seemed to change around that time - Thompson Twins (?) The Jam had ended as well so I think I must have just been getting any singles that I liked and not following anyone as such.

The first four Madness albums I was playing as much as anything in my collection even The Police! :D Plus Joe Jackson, DD's Rio (which I got Christmas day 1982, along with TR&F) and I didn't buy or have a copy of Keep Moving until I was given a ropey counterfeit/bootleg cassette around 2005. :rolleyes:Tracklist was all over the place and a few songs off other albums IIRC. Got an LP copy just 'for the collection' which wasn't in the best condition maybe as recent as 5 years ago, then a few years after that the original UK CD (1989ish) that has the Compact Price banner across the front artwork. These are my preferred listening for the albums on digital (except TR&F which seems to be a remaster from around 2000 and the sound is great to my ears) but usually I play the LPs instead anyway! I only really progressed then past TR&F many years later, except for the occasional single usually bought a long time after release - to add to the collection but I'm far from being a completist.

Pretty much in parallel with the aforementioned Police (it was only their first three that had me gripped and I certainly was... coming to their last two albums about a decade after release and I did this with other 'lesser'... to me... acts/artists as well.)

I now think that Keep Moving is superior to 7 in being musically consistent, yes...I mean, Benny Bullfrog - how many times per decade do we need to hear that for starters? :p Mr Hutchinson sometimes troubles me a bit too! But I've still not played this album as much as I know I should - always enjoy it and it surprises me with songs I keep letting slip my mind. And I know I missed out big-time back in the day for ignoring it. I'm I was on holiday with my parents (I'd have been 13) one time and it was on sale and I was asked if I wanted it. I probably chose an ice cream and film for my camera instead. :eek: :laugh:

danielbravo and Peace N. Love like this.
  16. OneStepBeyond

I didn't know about this! Something I will bear in mind if I happen to see a copy in the wild...

17. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Same here. I’m a life long fan, I knew of this compilation but had no idea it had different mixes. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

18. django68

django68 Forum Resident

There is yet another exclusive mix of Night Boat To Cairo on the Portuguese pressing of the "Work, Rest & Play" E.P. - I picked this up dirt cheap many moons ago when it was still a bit of a secret, but it does pop up for sale quite regularly. Prices for it are steadily rising now that the "secret" is out!

19. OneStepBeyond

Thank you! I shall investigate. :righton: I assume though that these mix differences will only be relatively slight, similar in a way to the 2nd version on the OSB 12" single? I remember buying my UK copy of Work Rest & Play... just weeks before the LP which is my username and avatar if memory serves!

20. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Listen for yourselves! I've just uploaded my copy to YouTube:

21. OneStepBeyond

THANK YOU!! Will do shortly... I have an album playing this moment. :righton:

Man at C&A and django68 like this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Exactly the same with me. Wilson Pickett tearing it up and rockin' the house!

23. OneStepBeyond

Jack Bruce for me (Things We Like) so I'm prepared for a bit more saxophone from Lee Thompson in a soon, after hearing from Dick Heckstall-Smith & Co. first. :D

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Peace N. Love

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'd love Keep Moving as much if I didn't associate with memories from the era. But I encourage you to give it a chance.

25. OneStepBeyond

Just played it this afternoon - due to the conversation we've been having... and it does get better for me on each play. I'd never dismiss any of their albums but it's difficult with a band like this to not have clear longtime favourites - as you say. :)

Peace N. Love likes this.