Disney+, long-rumored Disney streaming service, launching in late 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Exotiki and Chris DeVoe like this.
  2. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

or SuperDad (1973).

3. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

If your Disney + is coming in 5.1 please share your setup. I can’t believe I’m the only one having this issue.
    Have tried multiple devices

4. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I want see how many will get burned in disney + after few months of having it.

5. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Stereo here too; Rokus and (separately) 2016 Samsung smart TV.

Haven’t researched it extensively but apparently 5.1 only works with specific set-ups; guess mine ain’t makin’ the cut.

fluffskul likes this.
  6. I've been hearing ads on TV and Pandora for the new Disney streaming service, and it completely cracks me up to hear kids talking about "Disney this" and "Disney" that. "Disney, Disney, Disney!"

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine anyone under -- I don't know, 30 really -- but certainly not anyone not yet in their teens even -- having any idea whatsoever about there being an entertainment entity known as "Disney". In other words, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong -- but the whole idea that kids(!) would be almost literally singing the praises of "Disney" seems entirely laughable to me.

Disney is a hug conglomerate that owns a bunch of different entertainment franchises -- and yeah, the names of THOSE FRANCHISES would surely be tripping off the tongues of kids, right and left. But the term/phrase/name/brand "Disney"??? -- being so vocally beloved by kids right and left??? The very idea seems highly improbable to me.

I don't have any kids, nor do we subscribe to Disney -- so what do I know. Anyway, the ads crack me up totally (rightly, or wrongly).

Al Kuenster and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I was fully aware of "Disney" when I was a child and would talk about it using just that very word. I grew up in the '90s during the Disney Renaissance for the animated films, but there was also Disney Channel and the Disney theme parks. "Disney" is highly recognizable for children. It is synonymous with Mickey, with movies like The Lion King, with Disney World and Disneyland, with Radio Disney. I find it highly probable that kids today, exposed to all the same things, would know the Disney name and brand. There is a reason for this. It is marketed directly to children. Kids aren't stupid. They pick up brands just like we do.

NaturalD and BeatleJWOL like this.
  8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

As long as Mickey Mouse and Disneyland/Disney World (edit: forgot Radio Disney, thanks @Parachute Woman) exist, that name's still out there, even with the megalith touching everything else.

9. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

I take it you have never seen anything like the picture below.

[​IMG]

NaturalD and BeatleJWOL like this.
  10. Afraid I haven’t. I tend to avoid malls, and now live in central Washington DC - with all the malls out in the burbs, where I never even get to (not owning a car since 2011).

11. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised if that has to do with the now well-documented unsavory activities of the star, Bob Crane.

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

It's also a horrible movie with almost no redeeming qualities, right? That's what I've heard, in all honesty I've never seen it. But yeah, Crane's reputation is bad enough that I assume Disney will just pretend this one never existed.

dan c

13. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yeah, so it in theater when it came out. Nothing to write home about.

14. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

The biggest shame on Disney is not having a ton of episodes of Wonerful World of Color or original Mickey Mouse Club from day one.

15. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Man my 7 &8 year old granddaughters sure know about Disney. They watch the shows, movies, listen to the music, get the toys, go to Disney World every year, they would be happy to tell you all about it;) Walk through a Target or Walmart store, there is Disney everywhere.

BeatleJWOL and IFP like this.
  16. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Disney CEO Bob Iger stepped down in a hurry, and the media is FINALLY starting to notice that it was handled in a pretty unusual way for such a high profile transition. In fact, Disney's Top Brass didn't even know Iger was stepping down until a few hours before the announcement hit the news! Could PANIC over the state of Disney Plus be a contributing factor? Is Disney in for a ROUGH year in 2020?

Clownfish TV

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It’s a disease...

18. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Yeah.... Clownfish isn't the most reliable of sources.

It's been an open secret Iger was going to step down anytime for a couple years now.

And it's not really even a step down right now. More of a step sideways. He's still very high up in the company.

MikaelaArsenault and BeatleJWOL like this.
  19. forthlin

Did not watch the video, but I thought Disney+ was going gangbusters. Didn't they have something like 30 million subscribers after the first month or two? I thought it was weird the way the Iger step-down was handled, but I thought it might be related to the Asia parks closing due to the corona virus. That is certainly going to put a dent in their profits, and if the Chinese market for Disney movies drops, that's a huge problem. I think it's safe to say Disney is in for a rough year, but not because of Disney+.

20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I agree, if Disney+ is going to have a hard time, it will be in two or three years when people who got discounted subscriptions in advance start failing to continue their subscriptions. Dunno if that'll happen but that will tell the tale. I bought three years up front and the only complaint I have is that current Disney Channel series do not appear and there's no indication of when they will appear. I assume that's due to pre-existing deals with cable companies but it was something of a rude awakening. I thought they'd get all the stuff shortly after it aired.

MikaelaArsenault and BeatleJWOL like this.
  21. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I watch CNBC daily and this assessment is 100% accurate. I do not know what that other poster was alluding to.

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

On the other hand, at a point in history when people are suddenly staying away from amusement parks, I couldn't think of a better time to be offering a product that could expand the brand, and people can consume in their own homes, right when authorities are telling them to stay there...:shrug: Making lemonade, I am...

23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Youtube channels getting clicks over posing wild questions and making even wilder speculations, all of which is usually tied to fans being grumpy about how longrunning franchises are being presented these days.

24. forthlin

At the Walt Disney Company there’s only one guy that’s allowed to be Grumpy:shh:

25. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Most of these same channels are members of the fandom menace @$$holes who can't get over Luke Skywalker dying. So they will take any little bit of news of underperformance of Disney or any news really and extrapolate it's because the company didn't kiss their butts and make the movies they personally wanted. So Bob Iger leaving becomes "Bob Iger forced to resign because Disney 'ruined' my space opera". Heck they'll probably blame the Coronavirus on it soon.

In other words it's wise not to believe a damn word these channels say because they have a (poorly) hidden agenda.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.