Fairport Convention: The Album by Album Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

Fairport Convention: Album by Album Thread. Starting with the eponymous debut please rank the Fairport albums and the line ups.

2. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Favorites in order:
    Rising for the Moon
    XXXV
    Liege and Lief
    The Five Seasons
    Jewel in the Crown
    What We Did on Our Holidays
    Unhalfbricking
    Rosie
    Red and Gold
    The Wood and the Wire

carlwm likes this.
  3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Nice to see The Five Seasons getting some love. Much better than its reputation!

I shall give this some thought and post again tomorrow. As far as the debut is concerned, it's a good album but low-level for Fairport. Shows how good they became!

The Nicol-Pegg-Swarbrick-Rowland line-up is my favourite. Bonny Bunch Of Roses and Tippler's Tales are glorious albums.

pdenny likes this.
  4. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Full House
    Liege and Lief
    Unhalfbricking

I don't listen to the others.

5. marmalade166 likes this.
  6. Chemically altered

Oops! I got excited by the new Thompson 13 Rivers album and forgot! :oops: But perhaps it's time a for a reboot! :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    lemonade kid, Buddybud and uzn007 like this.
  7. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Happens. Please!

Here is a great celebration for their great LP.

Clinton Heylin talks Fairport Convention-"What We Did On ur Holidays"
    50 years celebration:

8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

There is a book coming out this month on this very matter

[​IMG]

zobalob, PJayBe, Bowland and 4 others like this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Clinton Heylin's Fairport and family book, What We Did Instead Of Holidays, is an interesting read. There's plenty to argue about in there, and he certainly has his prejudices. He doesn't seem to have much time for Dave Swarbrick, for example, and it stops before the 1985 revival of the band, but it's still probably the best Fairport book I've read

uzn007 likes this.
  10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Looks interesting.

Couldn't find much about the author other than he works for the Irish Daily Mirror. Given he's not, as far as I'm aware, one of the usual Fairport suspects, it'll be good to have a fresh take on the music.

Kiss73 likes this.
  11. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

There is a whole series of these books by differing authors. Some get good reviews, some less so.

I buy any book on Fairport and am looking forward to reading about the later albums much more than those from the first 10 years.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    lemonade kid and carlwm like this.
  12. Chemically altered

Right on. I could describe the whole Liege and Leif era in my sleep.

carlwm and Kiss73 like this.
  13. Chemically altered

[​IMG]
    I thought this thread was a bust as a similar one was already posted. So, FC's first album. A nice starting point with Dyble and Matthews. What's your take?

14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Likewise.

I really enjoy the post '85 line-ups although they don't get too much praise from a lot of fans.

uzn007 likes this.
  15. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Agreed. I would love a post '85 box set collecting any rare tracks to present day (That was one of the great aspects of the Free Reeds Fairport Unconventional box set was the recordings included from this era plus info)......or a Woodworm Records box set, collecting material from all sessions including the fabulous Beryl Marriott sessions and the various solo Fairport outings (love Simon's two albums)

carlwm likes this.
  16. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I like it! A bit incoherent but who cares. Some nice jazzy touches
    and probably their most "pop" LP, but it's a keeper. Obviously
    someone got their hands on Dylan's "Basement Tapes" songs.

Chemically altered and uzn007 like this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It's an interesting hodge-podge of ideas and a remarkable achievement given the age of the band but it's not one I revisit too often in its original format. My go to edition is the 2003 re-issue which adds Suzanne, Ribbon Bow, Reno Nevada and Morning Glory.

18. lemonade kid

Really love their first with Dyble and Matthews...have you all been following my Iain Matthews thread?
    https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/iain-matthews-appreciation-thread-solo-album-by-album.684924/

Glad I found this one...and that I posted that bit with Clinton Heylin...it seemed to revive the thread. Although I will not deign to take credit for the revival, so glad it has been discovered by one and all!

I am guessing you will get a lot of followers here now, Chemically Altered!

Tony Wilkinson likes this.
  19. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

It's a really good debut, considering their age and inexperience. Some listeners who know them through Liege and Lief might be surprised by some of the stuff on here! The bonus tracks are essential. Richard Thompson is already showing himself to be a distinctive guitarist.

Buddybud, uzn007 and carlwm like this.
  20. lemonade kid

rd1, NumberEight, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  21. Chemically altered

For the uninitiated (if any exist!) the personal on the groups' s/t debut were:

Richard Thomson-guitar, vocals
    Iain Matthews-vocals
    Judy Dyble-vocals, autoharp
    Ashley Hutchings-bass
    Simon Nicol-guitar
    Martin Lamble-drums

Buddybud, lemonade kid and carlwm like this.
  22. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

I was lucky enough to win this box set in a Classic Rock Magazine competition. As I never win anything I hope you don't mind me taking the opportunity to crow about it here! :D

23. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

It's not a common opinion, but I think Fairport's first LP remains their best. Liege And Lief has been far more influential, but Fairport Convention has a freshness and sense of derring-do that they never recaptured. Judy Dyble, whilst a much quieter and less flamboyant personality than Sandy Denny, had a much weirder musical sensibility, and the touches she adds really make the album: the impossibly prim vocal on "Chelsea Morning", the trippy recorder solo on "Jack O' Diamonds" and the weird aut0harp strumming on "The Lobster", which suggests they could have become a doomy progressive rock band in the manner of King Crimson had the cards fallen slightly differently.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Why would you not listen to What We Did On Our Holidays if you like those three?

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

One of my favourites too. I play it a lot more often than Liege and Lief. I'm not going to say it's better though. They're such different albums. Only two years apart and they sound almost like two totally different bands.

Buddybud and manxman like this.