Hank Williams: Pictures From Life’s Other Side — The Man and His Music in Rare Photos and Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Nov 22, 2019.

1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

If you ever get the chance to hear the bootlegged versions of these performances, ones that do not have any noise reduction applied to them, you would probably think differently. Those versions sound less clinical and have a more natural airy sound to them, what the overuse of NR has done is to remove the natural airy live feel of the originls. That said, I shall listen to this set often because I prefer this nicely sequenced set without the instrumentals and the dreaded Audrey.

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

All I can say is that this set is an absolute must. Any Hank fan that does not get it is making a real mistake. The book is absolutely incredible. The CDs are just fine for listening. This set can spin all day every day, and still be enjoyable.

I have had the Mother's Best shows for about 20 years. But whether that version or the official complete version, I tended to not listen repeatedly due to the nature of the radio show scripts (everything was scripted).

This set is designed for repeat listening.

The whole package is so amazing that I am even considering buying an extra.

The music is like a bonus, with the greatest ultra-high quality book on Hank ever made.

HINT: If you want to keep the shrink wrap on the book slipcase in near perfect condition, slice it very carefully at top and bottom edge of the open slipcase side, then snip down the middle of the seam. You can keep the slipcase in perfect shape this way.

3. hodgo

Despite my complaint regarding the noise reduction, I've also been saying that this set is indeed essential and for the exact same reasons. As we've discussed previously the book is outstanding and worth the cost of the set on its own, the sequencing, the lack of commercials, instrumentals and Audrey mean this set is as you say designed for repeated listening, which is exactly what I've been doing, in fact I've played it all the way through at least a dozen times since I received my copy.

The Beave and melstapler like this.
  4. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Unfortunately, both this one and the earlier "radio" box appear to be out of print now, judging from the inflated asking prices on the US and UK Amazons.

There are some on eBay that are more reasonable but the dirt-cheap prices the compact set could be had for not too long ago probably aren't coming back any time soon.

melstapler, hodgo and Mr. H like this.
  5. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It looks like it’s been replaced outright by the new one.

melstapler likes this.
  6. hodgo

I would think the licensing agreement with Timelife had run out, hence the switch to BMG and the new configuration of this set being released.

The Beave, melstapler and Mr. H like this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Just be patient. A used set will show up at a decent price

8. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I gave this set another try and couldnt make it through a song. Grabbed the Time-Life Revealed, Disc 3 and an immediate smile as it played as suddenly Hank was in the room with me.
    Those Yazoo Pre War Blues releases and Tefteller Annual Calendar CDs have absolutely effected how I hear period music. Oh well.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Just an update.. I had a very minor problem with disc 3. It wouldn't play all the way on some players due to a production flaw. A couple others have reported the same problem. I e-mailed someone at BMG because I didn't want to bother with sending the entire box back. I was told on March 4 they would send me a replacement disc. I didn't hear anything for a couple weeks. I wrote back March 21 asking about it and the guy responded 2 hours later saying he had to order a box to pull disc 3 for me, but due to the virus he's now working from home so he shipped me an entire new box free! So now I have two boxes! I haven't been able to check it out yet. I feel slightly guilty because the problem was super minor. I need to find something good to do with that old box now.

kt66brooklyn and hodgo like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I know a guy (not me) who would absolutely love it. He has had a hard life, and this would be sweet. PM me if you wish. I can pay something to help.

cpatton and hodgo like this.
  11. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Yeah they keep repackaging it, I also got the EU version in the small box in mini album cd form, and they were like $14 when I bought it.
    beave

12. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Don't do this to me, guys, not when I'm in a phase of buying Hank Williams stuff!

13. cpatton

cpatton Forum Resident

This is a jewel from A to Z. Ok, I don't have the acetates, I don't care, but I have the Time triples. On my gear this doesn't sound clinical at all. All I hear is a freewhellin Hank almost intravenously with performances often way beyond his beloved officially recordings. If I didn't love you (d.5, t 13) almost blew off the top of my head.

14. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  15. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

C6H12O6 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  16. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

17. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

LOL that's some Futurama **** right there

[​IMG]

18. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

Cool tie!

19. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

For those who haven’t purchased this yet, the price dropped to $56 on Amazon US.

hodgo and baptistbusman like this.
  20. hodgo

Over the course of the last few days I've been playing a disc from this set each day. Today it's disc 4, each disc is like listening to modern day artist in sesssion on the radio, the only difference being that these sessions took place almost 70 years ago, not that you'd know it because they are so fresh and alive.

To anyone who doesn't have this wonderful set I highly recommend you go and buy a copy whilst you still can, the music and peformances it holds are quite simply priceless.

21. Thomas47

Thomas47 Active Member

This set is high on my radar, but I'm curious to know from owners how the binding of the book is holding up with repeated use, as the main reason I'd purchase the set is for the book. Particularly, can anybody confirm if the binding is sewn, or glued (i.e., what's known as "perfect" binding)? I have visions of opening the book and laying it flat to better see a two-page spread, and having the binding split a seam.

22. hodgo

I have my set in my hands right now. By the look of things the binding is both sewn and glued and very well put together. My set is also played on a regular basis with book being browsed through on each and every occasion. In my opinion they took great care and spared no expense in putting this set together, I certainly wouldn't worry about it falling to pieces.

Thomas47 and baptistbusman like this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I agree that it is a nice package.

I just wish that some more of these "book-style" box sets would provide an additional well made slipcase for that extra-special deluxe presentation (and protection)

Thomas47 likes this.
  24. hodgo

The outer slipcase on mine seems pretty sturdy, I do agree with you for many other such releases though.

Thomas47 likes this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

my mistake. I was thinking of the countless other examples where no slipcase was provided. The Hank slipcase was done right.

Thomas47 and hodgo like this.