Amazon to (temporarily) STOP stocking vinyl

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Brendan K, Mar 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amazon will cease stocking vinyl records due to coronavirus

Amid the coronavirus epidemic, Amazon is struggling to keep in stock essential items like hand sanitizer, face masks, toilet paper, and medical supplies. To make room on its shelves, the online retail giant will temporarily cease stocking discretionary items, including vinyl records.

Amazon will continue to sell whatever vinyl records are already in stock at their warehouses. However, once those quantities are sold out, music fans are out of luck.

“We are seeing increased online shopping, and as a result some products such as household staples and medical supplies are out of stock,” Amazon said in a statement to third-party sellers this week (via Variety). “With this in mind, we are temporarily prioritizing household staples, medical supplies, and other high-demand products coming into our fulfillment centers so that we can more quickly receive, restock, and deliver these products to customers. For products other than these, we have temporarily disabled shipment creation. … We understand this is a change for our selling partners and appreciate their understanding as we temporarily prioritize these products for customers.”

Pigalle, Joti Cover and Strat-Mangler like this.
  2. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

I'd like to know how long the corona virus can live on mail orders. Apparently some other coronaviruses can survive on metal, glass and plastic for up to nine days, unless properly disinfected, or even longer in low temperatures.

Tuco, mikedifr0923 and Joti Cover like this.
  3. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

following .... this is going to get real interesting , every day , it is about 20 new things

Exotiki, painted8, Joti Cover and 3 others like this.
  4. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

And the hysteria continues.

5. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident Thread Starter

To get ahead of the curve, NO POLITICS in this thread or it WILL get taken down. The focus of the article and thus the focus of this thread is on vinyl stock/online stores/shortages as a result of the pandemic ONLY.

6. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

My local record stores are closing due to CV and now Amazon is going to stop stocking LPs?

eBay it is.

DK Pete likes this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The humanity!

8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

There are still hundreds of indie record stores out there to buy vinyl from online, including biggies like Amoeba and Bull Moose, down to smaller guys like Plaid Room and Port of Sound. Almost all of them are still open for mail order business. This is not even remotely a worry for me. Hell, a couple of shops I know of (Dusty Groove in Chicago and My Minds Eye here in Cleveland) are doing drive-up/carry out service.

I like to support indies to begin with and only buy from Amazon as a last resort or a super amazing price, so maybe this will wind up bringing more folks in that direction. Plenty of people who need the money to stay afloat way more than Amazon does anyway.

9. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Support the indies who are going to be hit a whole lot harder than Amazon with this going on.

10. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

As long as they keep stocking CDs...

Regginold31, rjp, rod and 14 others like this.
  11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Good thing my digital library is extensive :D

Curious to see the long term effects of both this and the recent fire that has impacted the world of vinyl as of late

Instant Dharma and Bingo Bongo like this.
  12. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Right on! :righton: In particular, classical CDs. :)

13. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

You don't even have a turntable. :whistle:

14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

It seems like a sensible decision by Amazon to prioritise its stocks. Meanwhile one of our nearby businesses, a small independent that distributes Speakers Corner albums UK wide for little more than Amazon charges for vinyl generally, is asking customers to bear with them while they catch up with increased orders. Seems to me a good result all round, so far...

iloveguitars likes this.
  15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

So?

I was talking about Amazon, not vinyl consumers or you guys.

Hear hear! :cheers:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    DiBosco likes this.
  16. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i'm assuming marketplace sellers like importsCD etc .... will still be selling via amazon though yes ? since these sellers have nothing to do with the amazon warehouse .....

17. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

The item refers to third-party sellers who ship their goods to Amazon for storage and shipping. Amazon also may be shutting out non-priority goods that it sells itself, but the notice this article was based on doesn't say that.

A lot of music software on Amazon is sold by third parties, but most of them handle fulfillment themselves.

It's of note, anyway.

If the post office stops providing clerks, that could lead to some Amazon third-party sellers suspending sales of physical media such as albums and Blu-rays. Because you have to see a clerk to get media mail rates. Not the self-service machines. (Dunno about business postage machines.)

mikedifr0923 and John B Good like this.
  18. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I’d like to know this too! I’m not considering to stop buying vinyl records!

DK Pete likes this.
  19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Once your package arrives, handle it with gloves. If the LP is sealed, just gently wash the plastic with cotton and soap and -let's not risk- leave it in a cardboard box for some days. Then unwrap it. That should suffice.

If the Lp is unsealed, pray and play ;)

20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I don't think the virus can last long on cardboard. If in doubt, quarantine your new purchases for 7 days. That time should be enough. Plus new records are sealed.

Kimiimacman, NunoBento and PH416156 like this.
  21. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

And here I was thinking the virus only lasted 24 hours on surfaces.

22. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I was told in Off-topic that delivery services may stop requiring signatures at the customers door..

23. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Much of Europe is closed down and all the record stores are closed for the next few weeks anyway.

I’m sure we’ll all be able to live without buying records for the next little while, just listen to all that stuff you’ve never played, or haven’t played for years!

24. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

This!!!

We are too quick to look at the negatives of the current situation. With more time working from home, I have pulled out albums that I hadn't played for ages and am loving the experience.

25. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Snap. It’s ridiculous how many records I’ve bought in recent years that I’ve only played once or twice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.