Amazon to (temporarily) STOP stocking vinyl

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Brendan K, Mar 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeifFan

LeifFan Forum Resident

It's a shame I don't have shelves full of vinyl to listen to.....

Oh wait.....

ODShowtime likes this.
  2. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

Why not just wash your hands thoroughly after opening?

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, it may only survive a few hours on cardboard (2-3 days tops). Maybe longer on hard plastic/metal surfaces. But many of these items have been sealed for weeks. They are very low risk compared to other activities such as visiting your local supermarket.

NunoBento likes this.
  4. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

In case it's not clear, this applies to CDs as well as vinyl.

Dave likes this.
  5. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Record companies and artists will love you...

6. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I can’t buy things from closed stores, I’m not going to lose any sleep about it, there are more important things to worry about the world just now.

I’m sure Brian Eno won’t mind that I can’t physically buy his new albums anywhere on Friday when it’s released!

8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:) Of course you can, but it's unknown how long this virus can stay on objects. We can wash the package, the plastic sealing the LP and our hands. Not gonna risk just to save some soap.

9. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

10. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Our local stores here in Dublin... Spindizzy Records, The Record Spot, Freebird and Golden Discs have closed temporarily , but are offering an online service to their customers. Not sure about Tower Records, nothing up on their website yet!

JG

11. Chuckorama

Chuckorama Forum Resident

I have reason to know that Amazon is presently a lifeline for people living in lockdown conditions in various parts of the world. It is unconscionable to expect Amazon to be focused on vinyl records right now.

zongo, nosliw, Gaslight and 10 others like this.
  12. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Very well said. People, you need to get some perspective. People in their thousands are dying and all you can concern yourselves with is record deliveries, Jesus!

zongo, nosliw, Myke and 4 others like this.
  13. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Of course Amazon are rejecting physical media.....oh and by the way why not subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited instead.

It's just another pawn move in their game.

14. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

I'm a private seller on Discogs and I had a big uptick in orders this week. It was partly due to me plugging this on my facebook page but others definitely not connected to me also placed orders. I'm not a business, just sell things I'm not bothered about keeping. Sad thing is, I may need to stop selling soon as my post office are not certain how long they will stay open. No postal delivery here either last couple of days.

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Amazon using this horrific event to future void physical media to cut their business costs.

16. LeifFan

LeifFan Forum Resident

Or.....maybe rekkids ain't important right now? Call me crazy.

Matt I, Myke, JuanTCB and 1 other person like this.
  17. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Seriously, put the tinfoil hat away.......

Instant Dharma and Meddle_Guy like this.
  18. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

My Blue Note order is supposed to ship today. Hope I won't have to leave my records out in the sun to disinfect them.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  19. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I am looking forward to playing lots of my unplayed records during the isolation phase. Not too bothered about the news from Amazon. I am a man with too many records already.

20. siveld

siveld Forum Resident

That is already the case in Australia.

21. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

For those of us who have our own Amazon store, as well as sell on our website, this has no impact. Plus, all the third party sellers, like ImportCDs, will still be selling through Amazon, so I can't see this having too much of an impact other than for those who want Prime shipping.

But Amazon has been screwed up for over a month. None of my items have been showing sales ranks for a long time, even with continued sales. Their seller support have been absolutely pathetic and useless on the matter. I have no love for Amazon.

22. Chuckorama

Chuckorama Forum Resident

I am in the small European country of Luxembourg at the moment. I live on the road near the hospital and hear the ambulances roaring down the street. We have over 200 active cases here now; the number has doubled in 48 hours. People are dying - not yet in great numbers - but medical staff are at risk of depleting from COVID-19 exposure. Unfortunately, in terms of infections, we are still only at the base of the curve. While I recognise that some still feel insulated from these events, I have witnessed how quickly these beliefs can shatter in the face of grim reality. For now, please know that Amazon are providing a valuable service for the many people who can't leave their homes because of COVD-19. Let's not impugn them for this. Just consider it a good time to catch up on the music you already own. All things considered, that is not such a sacrifice!

zongo, stetsonic, Kimiimacman and 8 others like this.
  23. louis_anthony

louis_anthony Vir Fidelis

Agree with those who posted about trying to take a positive approach...it could be a good opportunity to go back and listen to what I already have on hand.

I sometimes have a tendency to quickly spin a new title as a sanity check, just to make sure there are no flaws, but then move on to the latest one without going back to listen significantly to the previous vinyl in a reasonable amount of time...

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I only mention this because this horrific event helps push one of Amazon's financial goals. Why let a tragic event go to waste as they say in politics.

Peoples lives are more important obviously. There are some people on lockdown that rely on Amazon for their products.

25. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

Now is a good time to support small independent artists and stores even it's uncertain when your order will get fulfilled. They need it. There's a local band, the OSYX, that I've been meaning to catch live for a while now - their next batch of gigs are off, so I hopped on to Bandcamp and ordered their LP. (I usually do digital, or CD.)

melstapler and John B Good like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.