I've Just Cut The Cord

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ALAN SICHERMAN, Mar 17, 2020.

1. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY Thread Starter

I have unhooked my Spectrum DVR and return it. I have an antenna but I have to wait for a new TV remote as I don't have one and you need it for set up. I've watched a few things using my laptop and an HDMI cable. I fell like it's a new adventure and I'm happy I did it and I want to let other know. And, I no longer have to give them $180 month!

2. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

We did that a few years ago and have been very happy streaming. We can't get antenna reception, being in the wooded mountains, that would be nice.

Exotiki and ALAN SICHERMAN like this.
  3. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I did the same thing last month. I have since signed up for Youtube TV. All the channels I need for $50/month (including Turner Classic), free cloud DVR, and no hot box needed.

4. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

We got rid of cable back in 2014. We haven't missed it for a second.

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Cut in late 2016, wish i'd
    done it years earlier!

6. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Dang. Even with people being trapped in their houses for weeks at a time under threat of arrest cable can’t keep customers!:nyah:

7. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

It’s going on 21 years since we cut the cord.

8. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Homer paid 50 bucks for cable :shh::laugh:

9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Is there a consensus as to which streaming service has the best picture quality?

10. softl

softl Well-Known Member

Ahh, my first post after lurking for a few weeks.

I cut the cord last week.. Got youtubetv, roku and a few others from my Daughter's suggestion. It definitely is a learning experience, specifically in my living room where we have a Samsung tv. Samsung doesn't like roku and the others. They have their own platform. In addition, it doesn't like my Sony sound bar or remote, but I will get by, it's only been a week. I'm going to hook up the antenna for the local extra channels, but we went from 160 to 50 bucks.

brownie61, ALAN SICHERMAN and Staxus like this.
  11. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

Cable still exists?

12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I just took the first step to cancel my TV license. I went to the website to fill out the cancel declaration but 'oddly' it just sends you round in circles. Hmmm...

So instead I just cancelled my Direct Debit and we'll see what happens.

13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

They all look good to me. I run off a FireTV box that supports HDR10+ etc. etc. and my TV is HDR10+ capable.

The days of QVGA video streams are long gone. In fact streaming looks better than digital broadcast TV when it comes to intense scenes with lots of stuff going on.

14. Staxus

Staxus Hyperactive!

I also cut the cord a few years ago (4/5) and haven't missed it at all !

I'm using an OTA antenna getting 57 ch. with 10 of those being HD, also using a Channel Master OTA-DVR.
    I'm an Amazon Prime member also so that includes Prime Video and basic Prime Music at 119.00 yr. or about 10 bucks a month.
    My HDTV is a Sony and like "softl" above the home platform is crap, I find the Roku 4K box does a great job with lots of channels to choose from.
    The Internet bill is 40 a month for 110 MBPS download speed which is more than enough to stream 4K
    So 50 bucks a month is a lot better than 169.00

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  15. pressureworld

pressureworld Forum Resident

Get a Roku or Firestick and check out Pluto TV it's free and wonderful.

Shawn, Trader Joe, Jerryb and 2 others like this.
  16. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Yep. Pluto is just as good as cable in my opinion (Though I don't like their new interface and I can't seem to find ME TV and local channels now). There are a few cable channels I miss (like TCM}, but otherwise it's great. Roku just started carrying a new movie channel, "Movieland TV" and they show a lot of great films, mostly classics from the '60s thru '80s. One of the few movie channels which doesn't have a lot of filler - B movies and direct to video titles no one has ever heard of.

pressureworld and Staxus like this.
  17. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

18. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Tubi TV has a lot on Roku as well, and probably other streaming devices. I think my top three are: Youtube (regular, free), Tubi TV (free), Pluto (free).

Staxus likes this.
  19. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I know right now it doesnt make much of a difference, but what do you guys normally do to watch sports?

Long Live Analog and formu_la like this.
  21. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Are there any sports to watch right now? o_O

22. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Did you read what I wrote?

Back at ya. o_O

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have Spectrum and would love to get rid of them totally. But what are those that cut the cord using for internet access?

24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Most are saying that they're paying $40 vs. $170. The $40 is for internet service, which is the base for streaming.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Since the new tax laws removed business expenses for people in my field, cable TV has become more and more of a luxury. And, I know I'm paying for much more crap than what's worth it to me. Frankly my favorite feature on my DVD (and before that, my VCR) has been my ability to block so much of what makes surfing a time-suck; we never really watched much in real-time anyway, except for winding-back the news at any point, so we could catch-up on it at any time. But, now that every channel seems to feature the same tangerine-colored talking head, the cable option seems useless. But there's simply no way to keep up with the eclectic choices for programming we have, without at the very least, an expanded-basic tier.