Amazon to (temporarily) STOP stocking vinyl

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Brendan K, Mar 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I had something deleted too which was deemed off topic. Perhaps it was considered insensitive in the current climate, although it was not intended to be so. Merely a humorous aside on the topic. However, no offence taken. I'm OK with that and wish everyone well in the current situation. We're all able to remotely discuss our passion for music here which is splendid.

OK, on topic. I have been somewhat preoccupied over the last week or so, so this was a little surprising. I was going to order a vinyl set from Amazon this evening. It it appeared possible but I have not yet had chance to attempt to finalise a purchase. Is this worldwide? Should I try or is this considered a no-no at the present time? I don't wish to delay more essential purchases.

2. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I couldn't resist. Put through the order with no problem. Maybe a day or two extra on delivery but no issues.

Edit: Ah, think I misinterpreted this. Appears items in stock are OK, but not new items not currently at warehouses.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

could the lack of vinyl sales have anything to do with this?

like this poster said, still stocking CD's......................just sayin.

4. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Pure BS.

5. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

This is about third party sellers shipping their products to be fulfilled by Amazon. They have restricted what items they are accepting.

tmtomh and dormouse like this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I put in a vinyl and CD order a few days ago. Initially the standard shipping gave me a date at end of April ( I have prime). I decided to check the shipping method and more free options listed including free expedited shipping. Selecting this brought date forward so I received two items today and one due by friday.

7. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

so do the infections and deaths

_cruster, Strat-Mangler and tmtomh like this.
  8. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Disagree. We do need to shut down everything that we can. Peoples' lives are worth far more, and believe it or not, it's easier to work around financial costs, even though that will be difficult too and will cost lives too. It's not hysteria: if we don't control it, it will take about 70% of the population getting it to have herd immunity. Let's say that's 200 million Americans. Let's just ignore the deaths from the failures of an overtaxed health care system and say there will be 2% deaths of those who get the disease, which is sort of middling to low end of what has been seen around the world. That means 4 million Americans dying, far more than in most of our prior wars all put together. This is not a sustainable hit for moral reasons or even for financial ones. Vinyl deliveries can wait, as can a lot of other things.

metalrules likes this.
  9. Christian Hill

so do the deaths

10. Christian Hill

time to learn an instrument

11. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

I don't know about everyone else but I'm starting to see the impact of Amazon's decision to stop stocking vinyl records. BTW... this is not a complaint, opinion or endorsement. I'm just commenting as part of a discussion thread.

I keep a list of records I want to buy from Amazon. That list is drying up. Many items are starting to appear as unavailable. It took several weeks but it appears Amazons decision to reserve space and service for more essential items is finally starting to come into fruition. I think a positive here is that it might force anyone who is buying vinyl to purchase from independent record stores or vinyl enthusiasts that are selling on platforms like Discogs. That's speculation but maybe some good could come from this? A lot of audiophiles complain about large retailers like Amazon squeezing out small business so it is conceivable the little shops get a much needed break during this pandemic.

Anyway, I was just wondering if others are noticing the same thing about Amazon. Be safe out there.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  12. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Amazon Germany are starting again to get new releases in stock on both vinyl and cd.

I ordered the Pole 3cd reissue which was released last Friday on Sunday night and it was delivered on Wednesday.

13. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

The impact in my household has been to simply not buy records. And you know what? I'm saving money and am enjoying what I already have, and don't miss it one bit.

I did get a couple of things on April 18 to informally recognize RSD, but otherwise, nothing new since early March and I don't forsee buying more for months.

Dale A B likes this.
  14. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Things getting back to normal on Amazon Germany, I ordered 2 lp’s yesterday afternoon, one was delivered today and the other is coming tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.