Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Your best bet will be the Sweet Sensations (Island/Mango), but they are short LPs

The Melodians - Sweet Sensation

Revolver and Dubmart like this.
  2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

US pressed with yellow and red or rosette labels generally beat 70's, 80's and 90's Jamaican pressed ones likewise very late nineties/early noughties US pressed copies are usually decent, sixties/seventies British, (Red & White S1, Blue Coxsone, Peckings), may beat the US copies where they are identical, but will often use different mixes/takes, sixties Jamaican copies should be better, but are generally unobtainable in playable condition, The United Artist series pressed in the US in the seventies and repressed in the eighties are very good, current Yep Rock copies are very good, Soul Jazz are very good, but possibly don't use tape sources, US CDs can vary, but are often taken straight from tape in which case they are very good. So the short answer is any non Jamaican pressing usually beats a Jamaican equivalent when it comes to sound/pressing quality.

The best guide to Studio One pressings is Rob Chapman's which started as a booklet back in the 1980's, I still have my original copy:DOWNBEAT SPECIAL

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The MOV is on my to buy list, the only other two vinyl comps are mentioned above, the Earmark that you don't like and the fine, but rather short Island, there is a Heartbeat Treasure Isle comp likely taken direct from tape, but that's CD only, hopefully the MOV is good.

Revolver likes this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I don't own the US Uni, are we 100% sure it's reprocessed stereo and not a stereo recording?

5. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I'm not totally sure. The stereo LP actually sounds decent but the Pyramid reissue of the original UK version (from analog sources apparently) is mono. It's possible they made both stereo and mono mixes but I don't know. Thanks for all your responses.

6. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Mine has the circular indent on label and the rounded inner sleeve. However, it has the glossy (white inside) cardboard jacket.

Could it be original in 2013 jacket?

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Considering the period it's quite possible it was recorded in stereo and Trojan went for mono as they thought that was what their buyers would most likely want.

Revolver likes this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

You usually get it the other way round, original jacket with repress vinyl, I didn't check, it looks like the repress has the groove so they could be original LPs in new jackets or original label stock on original stampers although to get the groove I assume they'd have to have used a similar press, I guess for the money assume you have a real LP in a reprint sleeve.:righton:

9. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    zphage and Revolver like this.
  10. Funny, somewhere here early 2003, 2004, etc., the mastering engineer, British, I believe, of some of the 70s vinyl Mango/Island Reggae Greats series pops up here, sh.tv. No luck finding him thus far

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

John Dent did several Island releases including some Reggae ones, unfortunately he's no longer with us.

zphage likes this.
  12. Did he post under his name or something else?

I saw the two Steve Barrow posts.

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I don't know if he's who you were thinking of, just the only Island/Reggae mastering engineer that sprang to mind, Island weren't always forthcoming with their credits.

Steve Barrow isn't an engineer, I think Kevin Metcalfe did the BAF catalogue, he also did most of the Greensleeves, On-U Sound and Pressure Sounds releases plus a ton of other Reggae, he probably has more experience mastering the genre than anyone outside Jamaica.

zphage likes this.
  14. ranking chamois

ranking chamois Forum Resident

...and he's unfortunately just retired

django68 likes this.
  15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Kevin Metcalfe? That's a shame, he's a good engineer, but to be fair he's had a very good run and you can't do the job for ever.

Ital Galore likes this.
  16. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Just to update on this, the US LP has "Stereo" and "Suitable for mono" on the rear cover, so maybe its either reprocessed stereo or just a very narrow mix.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    Dubmart likes this.
  17. ranking chamois

ranking chamois Forum Resident

He retired just before Christmas - 46 years in the business, apparently

Digital, CD and Vinyl audio masters Soundmasters International

Notice Of Retirement

As from 30th November 2019 The Soundmasters will cease trading.
    Any unfinished existing projects will be completed after the above date up until 20th December.
    After 46 years mastering and cutting records, I have decided to retire.
    I feel very lucky to have had a wonderful career in our business and would like to thank all the talented, creative, inspirational and funny people I've had the opportunity and pleasure to work with over these years.
    Sending you all my very best wishes for the future.

Kevin Metcalfe

uzn007, django68 and Dubmart like this.
  18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

"Suitable for mono"? that's a weird one, play stereo on a mono deck and it won't be stereo for long, does suggest it may not be a stereo mix though.

19. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I've no idea where this thread has gone but recently had my friend do a needledrop of a 12", I think I first heard it in 1986. It's on the Matumbi lablel which makes a lot of sense.
    Bevin (Bagga) Fagan - Wishing On A Star.

20. Pastafarian

What are you doing here, this is the doom and gloom, end of the world thread, you don't have time to play them, that will teach us not to have 10,000 albums.

21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

?:confused:

Jackie P and zphage like this.
  22. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Sorry to hear this, but I am sure all Reggae fans are thankful for his long and faithful service.

See post #4709: Crucial Reggae ;)

(Remember the discount campaign, while it lasts.)

I think you have your threads mixed up, this is surely one of the less doomy/gloomy places to go, where one can get some respite from the apocalyptic outside world.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Pastafarian, Dubmart and Jackie P like this.
  23. Pastafarian

:laugh:, I thought I was in the Virus of Death thread.

uzn007 likes this.
  24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Please tell me that's not a real thread.:yikes: