The Perfect Film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ando here, Mar 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ando here

ando here Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Everyone has their idea of what a perfect film is. For some, it's simply their favorite, which is absolutely legitimate given the highly subjective nature of every viewing experience. After all, what seems like a perfect film when we're 12 is rarely the same choice at 30. Or what seems flawless on Thursday looks phony come Sunday - depending on what you've watched in between!

So, at this moment, what ONE FILM would you pose to someone from another planet as the perfect representation of what we are on this rock? Or, less pretentiously, what movie have you enjoyed watching in your lifetime the most? One film. No runners up. No caveats. Just your pick for the perfect film and why it gives you continual pleasure. :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  2. ando here

[​IMG]
    My pick, almost without hesitation is Andrei Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev. Everthing came together for this director under the right (albeit, oppressive) political regime with the right subject to create a visual witnessing of what the historical 15th century Russian religious icon painter might have endured, and consequently, what every serious artist endures, in order to produce something approaching art. It's relentlessly beautiful, imo. The best film I've ever experienced.

3. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

[​IMG]

Phantom Of The Paradise. There are better films, but this is my favorite. I 1st saw it in 1975 at age 14, when I was a Monster Kid & getting into Rock & Roll, so it had a double appeal to me.

It's the movie that introduced me to the whole Phantom/Opera legacy, it was funny, tender, touching, visually stunning, & filled with so many homages to other movies I love, (Frankenstein, Psycho, The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari & so forth), & it also introduced m to the Faust story.

How could I NOT love this movie?

timind, Mark B., P(orF) and 4 others like this.
  4. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Raiders of the Lost Ark
    [​IMG]

GeoffC, CDFanatic, yesstiles and 7 others like this.
  5. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Honestly, too many different things in that opener. Perfect film, most pleasure from watching and one that I would show to an alien race to represent us. All those would be different films.

[​IMG]

I consider it the most influential movie ever made, the jungle atmosphere has never been duplicated, it crosses many genres, it is always fun to watch, it was made at a pivotal time after the birth of talkies but before the Hays code was strict, and the imperfections are perfect (aka the SFX.) If you put yourself in the mindset of an audience member in 1933 it will never fail to blow your socks off.

G E, GeoffC, Rich C and 4 others like this.
  6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Mine might be the Coen Brother's MILLER'S CROSSING. The plot is incredibly complex but rigorous, alternately funny and terrifying. Many of the actors give the best performance of their careers. Amazingly, the great Albert Finney was cast the day before shooting. It looks fantastic and the gangster patois dialect is a treat. And there's a scary villain, Eddie The Dane.

The film centers on Tom Regan, a mob concierge who ends up hunted by two gangs, a stiffed bookie and other associates who don't wish him well. Tom has to think and talk his way through the chaos as he's not a man of violence. And the film contains one of the most shocking plot reversals I've ever seen when
    Bernie returns to blackmail Tom, who spared his life during the most intense scene in the movie.

And like so many great films, we're left with the unexplained mystery of, Why did Tom do what he did? Loyalty to Leo? Love for Verna? Or was he just improvising to save his own neck? All of the abive or none of the above? Fortunately no one made the Corns explain it all on screen.

I think the relative lack of commercial success of their third film caused the Coen Brothers to slow down their narratives from here on out. MILLER'S CROSSING contains more plot in two hours than most of the acclaimed TV series friends are always recommending.

7. ando here

Why? If you feel a film is great why would it need different qualifications?

8. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Eraserhead

9. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Back to the Future - I thought about my choice for all of about 3 seconds

10. ando here

Ah, so this is one that weathered your years of movie watching and still came out on top. Pretty good endorsement. I've seen it on shelves through the years but the cover looked so odd and so, well, typical in a Beauty & The Beast way that I avoided it. Have to reconsider now. Thanks!

timind, P(orF) and Bluesman Mark like this.
  11. FredV

FredV Senior Member

12. Ed the Dog

Ed the Dog Forum Resident

Koyaanisqatsi

brew ziggins and starfieldroad like this.
  13. ando here

Still haven't seen this one. I hear it's more stunning than Modern Times (which I love) and The Great Dictator. Might catch it during this month or two (hopefully) of down time. Thanks.

FredV likes this.
  14. ando here

I think this is a masterpiece. I simply can't watch it very often - too disturbing. Like going back to a bad childhood scene or bad dream. I know scenarios like those in this Lynch classic crop up in dreams but they're certainly not concious visitations! :laugh: :winkgrin:

Lightworker and elaterium like this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This Is Spinal Tap

It’s as funny today as it was when it was released. Terrific inside jokes, good working knowledge of how a long time band with fading fortunes operates, and so many brilliant lines that came from the actors improvising. I never tire of it and it never fails to make laugh or smile.

16. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'Treasure of the Sierra Madre ' is the most perfectest perfect movie. It could not be improved on.

17. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

How much more funny could it be ? The answer is none - none more funny.

18. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I don't know, I think it could have been better if they turned it down to 10. Who am I kidding, it is perfect. Don't touch it, don't even look at it.

19. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

The Third Man, apart from a great movie, checks a lot of boxes:

Unrequited love? Check
    Amazing cinematography? Check
    Humor? Check
    Tragedy? Check
    An intelligent exploration of a universal theme (friendship)? Check

20. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

what a soundtrack !

johnod and Neil Anderson like this.
  21. ando here

Really? Gotta see this. Certainly has the reputation as one of the greatest.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  22. ando here

:laugh: umm... ok.

23. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

that too!

24. ando here

Thamks. I'm partial to Carol Reed's Odd Man Out, to be honest. I never understood the appeal of Joseph Cotton running around Vienna. Some say OMO was really a precursor to TTM but the plot to your perfect film seems almost incidental to the visual journey - the entire narrative seems like a McGuffin! Funny that both main protagonists (James Mason & Cotton) May 15 (my birthdate, too). Good one-two punch from Reed, in any case!

Lightworker likes this.
  25. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

The first film that came to mind when I saw this thread was: The Shawshank Redemption.

Rich C, timind, jlocke08 and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.