Bob Dylan Listening Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Sometimes Dylan fans are unbelievably disrespectful, though I am not saying this about you.

In 1998, for one of the shows where Joni Mitchell opened for Bob, the theater was less than half full for Joni's show. The first 10 rows were mostly empty, so I went up and took a front row center seat.

In 1991, for Laura Nyro's opening set, the theater was nearly empty. Again, I got a front row seat.

Most of the Dylan fans were at the beer stand buying overpriced beers.

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I don't drink beer.

I love Joni.

I wanted desperately to leave work and travel out of town to see
    Joni Mitchell open for Bob, and Laura Nyro, too, but it was not
    to be.

In my part of the country security goons don't let you change
    seating sections. They don't care if the entire front rows are vacant.
    You stay put.

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You have to be both very fast and very sly. You need to be able to move so slowly that no one notices that you moved. You need to see your opportunities and move on them, fast if necessary. You also need to be able to move sideways and backwards. Above all, you need to be extremely polite to those you have moved toward.

After you get to your spot, enjoy the show.

It has worked for me 9.5 times out of 10. Front row, many times.

Concert security is no different from one region of the country to another

Siegmund and Blue Note like this.
  4. styler

styler Senior Member

I listen to Time Out of Mind at least twice a week at bedtime. Overall been on a late career bob bender for a while. Tell Tale Signs is a favorite...

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Cross the Green Mountain!

One of his all time, absolute masterpieces

AndyNicks, JRM, Jackie P and 6 others like this.
  6. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I'm rakishly handsome but I limp badly and lean on a cane.
    Both features set me apart from the crowd or lack thereof.

7. I wrote them and asked for both a live 1965 box and for the original (test pressing/RSD version) of BOTT for CD release.
    Be nice if either of these were released.

Not the main things on my mind.
    Listening now to the song Worried Blues. Great song.

Richard--W and Blue Note like this.
  8. [​IMG]
    Stereo version. CK 08579

9. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

Bonnaroo 6/11/2004 and I think that the set list speaks for itself. Blind Willie McTell is my favorite Dylan song and this was the first hearing live and I only heard it once more after.

1. Down Along The Cove
    2. Tell Me That It Isn't True
    3. Samson and Delilah (song by Rev. Gary Davis)
    4. Watching The River Flow
    5. You Win Again (song by Hank Williams)
    6. Cold Irons Bound
    7. Sing Me Back Home (song by Merle Haggard)
    8. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
    9. Highway 61 Revisited
    10. Pancho & Lefty (song by Townes Van Zandt)
    11. Seeing The Real You At Last
    12. Blind Willie McTell
    13. Honest With Me
    14. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (acoustic)
    15. Summer Days
      (encore)

16. Cat's In The Well
    17. Like A Rolling Stone

10. One of my favorite shows from the 2000 fall tour (along with Portsmouth both nights; it's been a while for me on these)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. roombythelake

roombythelake Forum Resident

I'm not sure what thread to put this in, but it's for all who listen to Dylan regularly, so I guess I'll leave it here. (Let me know if I should post elsewhere or start a new thread – I just wanted this to reach as many Dylan fans as possible.)

A few months back I subscribed to a mailing list of a guy who discusses a different Dylan show each day, picking one corresponding to today's date. I think I learned about it at Expecting Rain, but literally every day after I read the newest installment I think "I gotta share this at Hoffman!" and, well, today is the day.

Flagging Down the Double E's

(You can subscribe there or click "let me read it first" to catch up on old entries, but I guarantee you'll subscribe after you read an entry or two.)

The author's name "Ray Padgett" meant nothing to me at first, but then he mentioned some books he's written, and turns out he's the author of books like Cover Me: The Greatest Cover Songs of All Time and a blog called Cover Me, both of which I look forward to exploring.

I won't derail the listening thread by gushing about how informative, entertaining, and well-written these daily posts are, but I'm learning a heap and it's a highlight of my morning to wake up to them. He's currently following the 2000 tour, with a focus on the traditional songs played in the acoustic set (which has me chasing down the Stanley Brothers to listen to!), but at other times the blog jumps around to all eras of Dylan's live work.

Check it out!

12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

That's appalling. I would've thought there would be quite a big interaction between Dylan and Joni fans, at least.

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

14. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I have been working my way through some digital files of complete shows. Most recently I listened to about 30 shows from 1995 - a year I had always found to be a pretty good Bob year for live performing. I enjoyed those shows. I have a bunch of 1996 shows lined up and I will probably be starting those early next week.

Richard--W likes this.
  15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Saved
    [​IMG]

In these current times definitely.

16. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

It doesn’t surprise me in the least. Dylan fans can be so blinkered and arrogant. I have seen some great performers support him — including Graham Parker and Roddy Frame — and there was hardly anyone present, and those that were were not paying attention.

17. Well ... I wasn't expecting my Dylan listening to take such an unexpected - and so very welcome - turn this morning .

Best Wishes,
    David

JRM, Crispy Rob, Jimmy B. and 4 others like this.
  18. MURDER MOST FOUL - BOB DYLAN (Official Video)

"Greetings to my fans and followers with gratitude for all your support and loyalty across the years. This is an unreleased song we recorded a while back that you might find interesting. Stay safe, stay observant and may God be with you." - Bob Dylan

JRM, Crispy Rob, Richard--W and 8 others like this.
  19. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Colour Me Grumpy!

I’ve given this a listen. I love it. The wordplay and imagery is just amazing. There must be a reference that resonates with nearly everybody.

20. Libertine

Libertine Forum Resident

I’ve only heard this once. I feel quite moved by it. It’s harrowing in parts. I’ll be listening again and again for sure.

21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Murder Most Foul.

Rockford & Roll and Jimmy B. like this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Now some may understand why Dylan was given the Nobel Prize.

23. Psychedelic Good Trip