The BLUEGRASS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 9, 2017.

1. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

2. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

Ooh, Beatles cover. Putting it on my list.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Try the Charlles River Boys Beatle Country if you haven't, you can really fill your boots

sami, Spadeygrove and nancybrooke like this.
  4. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

Oh yes, I've got that one!

bzfgt likes this.
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

6. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Cool, you learned me somethin` about Herb P, great player!

bzfgt likes this.
  7. Bill Cormier

So, how is it ?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. Bill Cormier

Ah, old Rank Fakefield (if you have ever seen him talk, you would know why I butchered his name) ! He was the only person to ever, loudly, heckle any of the bands that I was in ( a Bluegrass outfit). This was at at Caffe Lena`s in Saratoga Springs , NY in the `90s. He thought he was being funny but the audience took it seriously !

He lives a few miles from me. A brilliant player despite his many "quirks" !

Jerry, cedarbrew, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Surprisingly good. No originals just good straight ahead standards played very well. The album was recorded locally and it sounds very good, near mint condition and delightful SQ. I love finding these regional record labels and bands.

Bill Cormier and sami like this.
  10. sami

sami Mono still rules

11. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Been diggin Phil a lot lately

[​IMG]

Look out boys, the ladies are moving in on your turf. Unfortunate that Tony's voice and hands got messed up before he could make some albums with Sierra Hull.

[​IMG]

One of my first bluegrass experiences was jaw dropping amazement at how this old blind guy could play so well. On some of his older albums, of course, but this one's just more frosting on the cake.

[​IMG]

Tony Trishka was my original banjo hero, long before Bela and some others hit the scene.

12. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

13. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

Tony plays on her debut album “Secrets.”

Sierra: “Tony Rice will forever be one of my biggest musical influences. The first album I ever heard of his was ‘Church Street Blues’. I remember trying to learn this song and endless others as a kid. I’m rusty now since I rarely play guitar, but it’s still one of my favorites to play around home. Hard to see in this video, but Tony signed this Rick Hayes Instruments guitar for me when I opened some shows for him years ago! I’ll forever cherish it! ”

Attached Files:

lazydawg58, Dok, cedarbrew and 2 others like this.
  14. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

If I could only listen to Tony Rice for the rest of my life I could be happy.

cedarbrew, Spadeygrove, sami and 2 others like this.
  15. Jerry

Since he isn’t recording anymore, maybe Rounder could release a live box set. There certainly are lots of great quality soundboards out there. Maybe Grisman could do the same at Acoustic Disc.

16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Nothing but comp CD's from Rounder since Unit of Measure was originally released. There was an RSD of 0044 a couple years back but the label has essentially done nothing but cash in on whatever streaming royalties they earn from the catalog. I dare say they have made the business calculation they would rather rent the music to the fans than make money on a one time sale.

I doubt Rounder has any of his board tapes to release. A live album or a comp of live songs would require some effort on Tony's part, the live stuff that has been released has come from others that had ownership of his live recordings. David, who has seemingly recorded everything can self produce with his label and the Hartford estate are the only live things that have been released. I highly doubt Tony had anything to do with any of that.

It's pretty sad. By all accounts the financial situation isn't good and he's making no effort to work with what he has. Just keeping his website active and selling some merch would be something.

cedarbrew, Spadeygrove, sami and 2 others like this.
  17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

18. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

Thanks, don't have that album and didn't know that. Now I'll have to go chase it down.

Dennis0675 and sami like this.
  19. Jerry

Church Street Blues? I just played it! The CD version has a bonus track, "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." It's essentially a solo album, with brother Wyatt on second guitar on four cuts.
    [​IMG]

20. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

I think Tony might've learned it from Norman Blake...

sami, Quakerism, Dennis0675 and 2 others like this.
  21. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

The last time I was hoping to see Tony play, I can't remember, maybe 10-15 years ago?, in San Francisco, he backed out at the last minute and was replaced by Wyatt. No explanation given. Was disappointed of course, but it was the first and only time I've seen Wyatt, and he more than held his own. I really like Wyatt's solo album New Market Gap, but then I realized that sucker's already 30 years old, released in 1990!

sami, Dennis0675 and Jerry like this.
  22. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Plus his name is a pun, which Tony can't say for himself

sami and cedarbrew like this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

David is 75 today. There aren’t many albums I’ve listened to more than this one, possibly none.

budwhite, Dok, sami and 4 others like this.
  24. Jerry

Orange label or blue?

sami, cedarbrew and Dennis0675 like this.
  25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

My only orange, I have a few blue. I think that means a different pressing plant as there wasn’t a repress I’m familiar with. I’ve tried and I can’t really hear a difference in sound.

sami, cedarbrew and Jerry like this.