Go-Go's - We Got The Beat (Stiff Single Version)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veech, Mar 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

I had not heard this version before, I prefer it to the later slicker version.

We would bump in to the girls and chat occasionally in 1978/79 when we rehearsed next door to each other. This was when the Go-Gos were just a local all-girl punk band. The rehearsal place was a converted apartment building with 4 or 5 big rehearsal rooms run by a sweetheart of a guy named Wendell near Western & Melrose in LA. The sound coming out of that place was a wondrous cacophony of noise pretty much every night.

Anyway, this version sound much closer to how they would sound at the rehearsal studio.

From the YouTube poster: "Original version of the classic track recorded in 1980 and released in the U.K on Stiff Records in May of that year while the group was supporting The Specials on a tour of England.

"This sped-up, punkier version of the song is much more true to the band's original Buzzcocks inspired sound, than the slowed sown and slicked up version they would do for their debut albm "Beauty And The Beat" in 1981 with veteran girl-group producer Richard Gottehrer. What many people don't remember is that this version of the song is what started the Go-Go's phenomenon by crossing the Atlantic to America and becoming a huge underground dance hit. On the basis of import sales alone, this single charted in the Top 40 of the Billboard Dance Chart - an impressive feat for a then unsigned band."

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, I always liked the rawness of this version--although I wish I could hear a version closer to the master tape if that might remove the tin-o-rama sound of the 45.

Veech, Sean, Frozensoda and 1 other person like this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I have this 45. It's my favourite version too but not by far. The IRS version is such a great pop single. Timeless. The Stiff 45 also has a more raw and punk sounding version of How Much More on the B-side.

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I like tin-o-rama! At least for this kind of thing.

5. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

"OUR LIPS ARE SEALED" Backed by TERRY HALL(THE SPECIALS) is my all time favorite GO-GO'S song...."VACATION" too!

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The later Fun Boy Three version is magnificent too and very different. That was the hit version in the UK. For some reason the Go Go's weren't successful here. I don't understand why.

7. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Yeah. I love that track.

jimhb, Lewisboogie and Man at C&A like this.
  8. Sebastian saglimbenI

I stand corrected....yes I love THE FUN BOY THREE version......but then I love all things 2-TONE.....

Matthew Tate and Man at C&A like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

How can you not?!

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  10. Sebastian saglimbenI

FACT......

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The only thing wrong with 2 Tone is I'd like there to be a bit more of it and some of the later records are too hard to find and expensive! I'd love a complete collection.

12. Sebastian saglimbenI

Yes me too.....a complete label collection would be a dream!!I'd be all in.....I think I told you already I had found "DANCE CRAZE" On c.d. CHRYSALIS I believe.....a great comp!!!

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's a good find. I've never seen one. I only have the LP and it's missing the poster, which I'd love. It's a really good and massive poster.

14. Sebastian saglimbenI

Yes the c.d. cover unfolds into that poster....my local used c.d. store owner pointed that he had it and he knows what I like.... he priced it accordingly....I think I paid $20 dollars u.s....well worth every penny!

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It took three copies to complete the More Specials LP in my avatar! It's all in excellent condition though.

16. Javed Jafri

Javed Jafri Forum Resident

Just yesterday I was listening to a tape I recorded off radio in the 1980's and on came the Urdu version of Our Lips:

jimhb likes this.
  17. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I'll second that. Great vibe to it.

18. Sebastian saglimbenI

Wow...very cool collection you have there!!I have so many c.d. versions of THE BEAT Albums....multi's of all of THE SPECIALS Albums on c.d. as well.....I treasure all of them!

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I only kept the best More Specials LP, poster & single then gave the stuff I didn't need away. I have all the main 2 Tone singles and albums but they are quite easy to find here. Most 2 Tone records sold a lot.

Unlike the Stiff Go-Go's single. It's very hard to find.

20. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I prefer this version...such an awesome opening to an awesome movie:

Sean, MilMascaras, soundboy and 3 others like this.
  21. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

What band were you in?

22. Sebastian saglimbenI

Yes I am a hardcore 2-TONE collector....I love STIFF releases and collected much of their releases as well on c.d....recently found an early LENE LOVICH-"STATE-LESS" On STIFF...I love LENE.....

LoveYourLife and Man at C&A like this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Veech likes this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can imagine those CDs being very collectable and only going up in price. I very rarely see anything like that on CD. It's generally music from just before the CD era.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Am I the only one who thinks the "punk version" isn't that different than the hit single?

Some of the comments act like it's raw and edgy - it's not! :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.