More ...Signed Photos, LPs, Picture Sleeves, Promos, Memorabilia, Ephemera, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maranatha5585, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam Thread Starter

2. Maranatha5585

3. Maranatha5585

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Very cool LP art slick for "Hey Jude" album!

5. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Wholesale flyer regarding the animation cels from the 'Yellow Submarine' movie when most of them were sold off via US stores. I've never seen another one of these in 20-odd years of collecting! Some of the 'AA Grade' cels, (these had a gold star on the shrinkwrap and cert and the 'A Grade' had silver), have changed hands at auction for thousands of dollars!

[​IMG]

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Is that from the ~1969 sell off of original movie cells, or from a later time? If 1969, adjusted for inflation, those Grade AA cells were about $250 adjusted for inflation.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Derek Slazenger and longdist01 like this.
  7. Derek Slazenger

Yes, from the 1969 sell-off. These were the wholesale prices from Subafilms to the retailers. The cels and backgrounds etc had been thoroughly cherry-picked by the production team before the remainder were sold off though.

8. Derek Slazenger

Here's a lovely colourful Yellow Submarine cel :) Two cels actually (The Beatles and Jeremy are on a second cel). I acquired the two years apart! Love it when that happens!!

[​IMG]

D.B., mradmack, edenofflowers and 6 others like this.
  9. Derek Slazenger

Three cels here...

[​IMG]

D.B., mradmack, swedwards1960 and 7 others like this.
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Derek - those are really nice Cels, thanks for sharing them!

Derek Slazenger, omikron and oboogie like this.
  11. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Three cells from my collection - Ringo, Jeremy, and two dancers from the 'Lucy In The Sky' sequence and the certificate of authenticity.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

very nice MerseyBeatle, thanks for posting the cell you have!

13. Maranatha5585

John Lennon handwritten notes on Apple stationary re: "Ballad of John & Yoko"
    Notes on J & Y solo LP's, and Apple Records.. even a release from Lenny Bruce.
    "Lenny Bruce must be on Zapple tell Klein. Y & O are on it"
    So, it was John who said ZAPPLE should be in the color silver! WOW! :righton:

[​IMG]

MerseyBeatle, omikron, Jonpd and 3 others like this.
  14. Derek Slazenger

15. Derek Slazenger

The telephone is on an original watercolour background. Pigeons on a cel :)

[​IMG]

Percy Song, oboogie, omikron and 6 others like this.
  16. Derek Slazenger

Great to see this :) Thank you :)

oboogie, longdist01 and MerseyBeatle like this.
  17. Derek Slazenger

Sorry! Yes the prices on the flyer were RRP :)

oboogie, longdist01 and MerseyBeatle like this.
  18. MerseyBeatle

An excellent piece.

19. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

They're all great but this one in particular is fantastic. I'm now going to spend the rest of my life hoping to find a frame before or after this one and then not being able to afford it! :uhhuh: :righton:

20. Maranatha5585

Played and owned Uke that belonged to George Harrison~
    Given as a Christmas Gift, Signed by George, Olivia & Dhani
    What a hot little item! Fantastic condition .. with personal salutation.
    ''Thanks A Lot -Love and Happy Christmas'' and appears signed by each person.
    Sweet! :drool:

[​IMG]

I understand, and have read of cases where George carried several Uke's in his car trunk,
    and loved to break them out, and give them to friends..

21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Wow quite rare seeing George and his family signing such a personal item. Beautiful ukelele!

oboogie and Maranatha5585 like this.
  22. Maranatha5585

23. Maranatha5585

That Traveling Wilburys first photo shoot... and Bob.

Taken from the terrific Untold Dylan web site
    by Patrick Roefflaer

Neal Preston

Like so many American baby boomers, 12 year old Neal Preston fell in love with music after seeing the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964. A few years later, he first combined this love with his other hobby, photography and started shooting rock shows throughout the New York City area. While still in high school, he formed a small photography company, earning assignments from a variety of publications.

Shortly after graduating in 1970, he moved to Los Angeles, where he became a much-in-demand photographer, covering tours by Led Zeppelin, Queen, Bruce Springsteen and The Who. He also extensively shot stars like The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Michael Jackson, Tom Petty and many more.

Fast forward to late May 1988.

Out of the blue, he got a call from a contact to go to a house in Encino, for some shots of Tom Petty and a few friends. “Tom’s gonna call you and he’ll give you the details,” she said.

When Petty called, Preston asked for directions. In October 2017 the photographer recalled the conversation to Daily Mail: ‘“Well, it’s er, it’s um, er… here, talk to George. So he hands the phone over to a guy named George, and this guy says “Hi, this is George.”

I ask what’s the address and it’s a distinctly Liverpudlian accent and I suddenly realize it’s George Harrison. […] Now, in my world, a Beatle trumps anyone,” Preston explained, starstruck. “I’m in a haze now. I remember nothing about the rest of that phone call,” he laughs, “but I managed to write the address.”

The directions lead to a mansion on Balboa Boulevard, Encino. The house, designed by Wallace Neff, is owned by Eurythmics’ Dave Stewart. George Harrison rented the place while staying in Los Angeles to make a cameo appearance in the Hand-Made movie “Checking Out”, and helping Roy Orbison and Tom Petty with their new albums. The recording of The Traveling Wilburys album was not planned, but it was fortunate that Stewart had built a recording studio in the house.

(By the way: it turned out that Dave Stewart had forgotten to ask for permits to make changes to the building. The house has since been demolished.)

Later Dave Stewart took some credit for getting the supergroup together. In an interview to Music Radar he stated, “I was kind of the host/virtual member. They recorded it all in my house. I put Dylan together with Tom Petty … George Harrison was living in my house in Encino at the time. Everybody met up there.”

Not that he was there to witness it all. “I was busy doing quite a few things in England,” Stewart says. “That Wilburys thing happened really quickly. It all took place around my kitchen table and in my garden. I introduced everybody, went off, and when I came back they had already done it.”

Back to Neal Preston: “I get to the house about an hour later, knock on the door and a roadie lets me in and I walk in and George is sitting at the table and I see Roy [Orbison] in the kitchen mixing some tea or something and I think this is pretty wild.”

To the photographer, it is explained that Tom, George and Roy have just finished recording an album with Bob Dylan and ELO’s Jeff Lynne and that some pictures are needed for publicity.

“George pulls me aside and takes me in this small room, closes the door and says: ‘Now, listen to me, Bob is in a pretty good mood. I’ll let you know when the mood is just right, I’ll give you a sign and then we’ll shoot. But we won’t shoot until Bob is ready.’

“Then Tom Petty walks in, gives me a hug and says: ‘Now, Bob’s in an ok mood’.”

“It’s all the same thing. They’re walking on eggshells around Bob Dylan.”

Sometime later, Preston is lead to another room, where Bob is playing pinball. While the other four line up before the lens, Bob doesn’t want to finish his game yet. So, the first shot Preston took, Bob is way in the background hunched over the pinball machine. “I’ve been around Bob before, and Bob’s a good guy. But, you know, he’s Bob Dylan,” Preston said. “We all have our good days and bad days in our lives.”

[​IMG]
    (Bob seen way off to the left playing pinball! ) :winkgrin:

Sometime later, Bob is ready to join his bandmates. The shoot lasts about an hour. There are pictures made in the house and in the garden.

It is a bit of a surprise for the photographer that two of his pictures are given to/chosen by art director David Costa to use for the album sleeve. One of these is even used twice: on the front and the back, while another – the five musicians with their guitars – is used for the inner sleeve front.

Traveling Wilburys Vol 1
    Released: October 17, 1988
    Band photography: Neal Preston
    • Sleeve photography: Gered Mankowitz and Chris Smith.
    • Art-director: David Costa for Wherefore Art?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  24. MerseyBeatle

Great story, great pictures
    [​IMG][​IMG]

25. Maranatha5585

While time seems to stand still, and streets are empty.. one of the most famous street crossings
    gets a much needed refresh :righton: ABBEY ROAD ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]