Genesis - did they really sell out?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Yes. I heard that they want to tour with the Monkees, who don't have all of their original members either. ;)

2. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Sure, what you’re saying makes complete sense to me. I believe we’re always, whether consciously or subconsciously, chasing that feeling of what we had when we heard Floyd’s The Wall or King Crimson’s In the Court of the Crimson King. Let me say that I’m always speaking from my own point-of-view. I don’t have the foresight nor the wisdom to say this or that band is the best in the world or that the music I listen to triumphs over everything that other people listen to --- no, I can’t do this and no one else can make that kind of judgement. All I can do is comment on music that moves me emotionally and stimulates me intellectually. Interesting you mentioned, Transatlantic as I do like their first album even though it doesn’t really chart any new musical development --- it’s still a fun listen and quite bombastic.

gja586, mark winstanley and carlwm like this.
  3. zen

zen Senior Member

Busted, I guess. I never bought those albums, cause all the radio hits (though pleasant and fun), weren't really pushing me towards a record store purchase.

Never thought they were a sell-out, either. And I did borrow some trio albums from my brother, but it wasn't for me.

mark winstanley and carlwm like this.
  4. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Sounds like that remark was tongue-in-cheek.

5. Mirror Image

Honestly, I haven’t really done a lot of exploring of the current crop of classical, jazz, or rock musicians/composers/bands as I have so much music that I haven’t even heard that needs my attention that trying to find something new would really be doing a disservice to all of this music that is currently in my collection that I haven’t even heard yet.

William Smart likes this.
  6. clayton

clayton Senior Member

I don't see Rush changing their sound to the degree that Genesis did, Genesis lost me after Wind and Wondering

Rufus rag and Chemically altered like this.
  7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I wish more cool people knew about my favorite artist. But not too many.....and definitely not people outside my spheres of interest. Its such a struggle getting my band to have just the right balance of exposure and adulation without being widely known - and therefore ruined. I struggle over the money they should make too....

Amazing how common this is.

misteranderson and carlwm like this.
  8. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

Yes, they sold out stadiums every night*

*I'm aware that this joke has probably already been made, but I'm too lazy to look.

9. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I prefer Genesis after Lamb, never got into them before, and as pop material Abacab, etc. was enjoyable to me. Never cared for Gabriel's voice or stage persona, I much preferred King Crimson, ELP, and early Yes for prog. I prefer instrumental Jazz Fusion as my main listening anyway.

Rufus rag likes this.
  10. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Raunchnroll, who is the band?

11. Mirror Image

But I think the point that was made was that Genesis were always Genesis until they weren’t, which is sadly where we have arrived at today.

12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

As it happens, I reckon we're going through another golden age of prog. Different from the first, for sure but just as exciting. Performers like Anathema, Thieves Kitchen, Syzygy, Opeth, Flamborough Head, Spock's Beard, Magic Pie, Bent Knee, Moon Safari, Nordic Giants, Koyo, Sanguine Hum and many others are releasing outstanding work. It's worth checking out Svetonio's comprehensive new prog rock releases thread for further performers. It's an excellent resource.

But then, I love Big Big Train so what do I know? :D

gja586 likes this.
  13. Mirror Image

For me, Gabriel has had the most interesting and musically rewarding solo career of any of the Genesis members. I love a lot of Hackett’s albums as well. Collins, Rutherford, and Banks were hit and miss.

fuse999 and Hightops like this.
  14. Roy Crossland

Roy Crossland Forum Resident

If they did sell out, I am glad they did! They made damn good sophisticated pop in the 80’s. I sold all my 70’s Genesis records except for ”Selling England By The Pound” and kept their 80’s albums up to ”We Cant Dance” from 1991 because these are the ones I play on my turntable. I don’t need intellectual prog rock any more, those days are gone!

FACE OF BOE and carlwm like this.
  15. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

When is the selling out supposed to have occurred? Invisible Touch?
    I think Abacab is great and sounds great.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  16. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Pretty sure he was just trying to simplify it for the audience. Not sure how he could be an integral pat of of 4 or 5 of the most essential prog albums in history and not know what it is.

SRC likes this.
  17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Thanks for adding a little balance and nuance to the discussion here. I'm a little taken aback by the degree of vitriol that some prog fans feel towards Banks. Granted, he sometimes comes across as being prickly, but it's not unusual for artists to be ambivalent about their earlier work, expressing a mixture of embarrassment and pride at different points. (I suspect that Gabriel has similar mixed feelings, but he's just more diplomatic about it.) Maybe there were times when Banks felt like he had to stick up for the merit of the new material in the face of criticism from old guard fans. The fact remains that he played a crucial role in creating much of their best work, so I can't begrudge him too much for the occasional dismissive comment. It's doesn't impact my enjoyment of the music and I don't need him to validate my preferences.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  18. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I prefer the Peter Gabriel era... have been listening to it for years and still love it...
    I am not sure I would use the term "sold out".... they definitely changed...

MicSmith likes this.
  19. Mirror Image

I love Tony Banks and I’ll defend him until the end. He has a right to be dismissive all he wants just as he has the right to change his mind. He’s a musician of immense talent and while I don’t really see him doing anything worthwhile musically again (I have no interest in all the classical music recordings he’s been releasing --- all of my favorite classical composers are dead unfortunately). I think his contribution to rock music is unprecedented and when you listen to albums like Wind and Wuthering or Invisible Touch, it’s undeniable that without his musical presence, the music simply wouldn’t be the same or, in many cases, wouldn’t even have existed. A one-of-a-kind musician and sadly this kind of musical genius doesn’t happen too often.

20. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

If I could like this 10 times, I would.

It's a fake posture. "Oh, I loved Radiohead, but they stopped writing Planet Telex and Black Star, and started actually making money, which really pissed me off..."

With Genesis, I'm amazed at how many "fans" won't admit that excellent songs such as Down And Out, Burning Rope, Deep In The Motherlode, Dutchess, Duke's Travels/End, Behind The Lines, Me And Sarah Jane, and Dodo/Lurker actually have roots in ye olde prog meisterwerks like Cinema Show. Clearly, much of the same vibe remained after Peter, and even Steve, left.

Never mind that Gabriel's work was less "prog" than Genesis the minute he split.

mx20, Tristero, tug_of_war and 5 others like this.
  21. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Tony's a great songwriter. The cornerstone Genesis was built around.

LC4O and carlwm like this.
  22. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Did you see the documentary from (maybe) Sky TV about Phil hiring all the funk bros to come and painstakingly recreate the motown tracks note for note for him to sing over? I had a nagging question, why?
    Could his stab at it improve on any of the originals?

23. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

I assume you're familiar with From the Undertow being used in the film "The Shout". I thought it worked well.

24. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Did he say he was trying to improve them?

25. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

No, but given that the backing music was exactly the same it's Phil Collin's karaoke instead of a fresh take on an old chestnut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.