The Wizard Of Oz...Best Picture Quality Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Mar 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

The Wizard Of Oz...Best Picture Quality Blu-ray?

thanks guys!

Exotiki likes this.
  2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The recent 2019 4K 80th Anniversary edition has 2 Blu-Ray discs, [ 1 - 4K disc and 1 Blu-Ray disc ]

A nice review from :

Wizard of Oz, The: 80th Anniversary Edition (4K UHD Review)

The 4K upgrade disc is 5.1 remix, it didn't include original Mono mix though. Mono mix is included on the second Blu-Ray disc in the package. I would get older Blu-Ray if you can't view 4K video yet.

Still enjoy watching this film Classic!

Exotiki and Michael like this.
  3. Michael

OK, let's try this again...BLU-RAY...sorry, I should have added NOT 4K...my mistake...thanks for trying to help me out. ; )

audiomixer likes this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Blu-ray , 4K , VHS , DVD , Beta, laserdisc.....this is one fantastic movie.

Purple Jim and longdist01 like this.
  5. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

that’s ok, then the 75th anniversary bluray should do just fine. P.S. I think the 75th anniversary bluray is a re packing of the 70th anniversary bluray so whichever’s cheaper go right ahead.

the 75th anniversary bluray looks like this
    [​IMG]

longdist01 likes this.
  6. Michael

Ok...thanks.

Exotiki likes this.
  7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

With all due respect, if you are interested in picture quality you need to upgrade your system to 4K...like yesterday.

I resisted for years, made all kinds of excuses for doing so, and all my excuses ultimately turned out to be complete kaka.

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

What, no CED VIdeoDisc? :)

[​IMG]

goodiesguy, Scowl, Uncle Meat and 6 others like this.
  9. Michael

I agree, but at the moment I'm all blu...thanks for your suggestion. : )

audiomixer likes this.
  10. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'm curious what you found on an online search of screengrabs of this movie which there are plenty that didn't convince you of the best image quality version of this movie. What in quality are you look for that you don't see in online screengrabs?

And I answered your question about the Anniversary number differences between DVD and BD over in the DVD thread. There's only one restoration done on this movie only updated to Blu-ray and that's the 75th Anniversary version which the DVD is as well. They are identical in image quality except in what their respective resolution differences would do to PQ.

longdist01 and Michael like this.
  11. Michael

Oh yea...I waited every year for this to show up on TV every March! never got tired of watching it...I never will...

12. Michael

... just wanted to know what the best BD was? geez...come on. LOL...does there always have to be a negative, problem, argument?

chacha and budwhite like this.
  13. Tim Lookingbill

Show me a word or words in your quote of me that indicates I'm being negative. I looked to make sure I didn't use profanity and didn't call you names. I just asked what it is you're seeing online that makes you uncertain which has the best image quality?

Just asking, geez, relax, will ya'?

Michael likes this.
  14. Tim Lookingbill

Oh, I forgot to add over in the other DVD thread where I answered your question more thoroughly, the DVD 75th or 70th Anniversary (no difference) can be bought at Walmart for $5. That's what I paid for it, but I had to dig for it for almost 20 minutes digging it out of the DVD bone pile.

longdist01 and Michael like this.
  15. Michael

Thanks for the help...

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  16. Michael

no worries...I really was not directing that comment to you. ; )

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  17. Michael

thankfully & financially I never got into them...

mdm08033 likes this.
  18. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I bought the Ultimate Oz CAV laserdisc box set back in 1994 for $99.99 ($175 in today’s dollars). Still a nice set to have with the script, stills and book. Now that I finally have a 4K set I’ll purchase an upgrade (and 4K player), though I do have the deluxe 70th anniversary DVD. I never bothered with Blu-ray and don’t have a player.

longdist01, Larry Geller and Jrr like this.
  19. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I am going to try to throw a little clarity into the mix here, as there is all sorts of misinformation in this thread (not least of which the redundant talk of DVD and even older editions).

All currently available BD editions (as well as the 2019 4K UHD edition) are sourced from the same 2009 8K digital scan of the original Technicolor camera negative. What varies is how that scan has been transferred to BD over the years:

The 2009, 70th anniversary BD features a 2D VC-1 transfer that is still, with one exception, the same transfer in use today.

The 2013, 75th anniversary BD features the exact same 2D VC-1 transfer as the 2009 BD.

The 2013, 75th anniversary *3D* BD is where things change. The 3D disc features a new MPEG-4 MVC transfer that, as well as being rendered for 3D, has been cleaned up slightly from the old VC-1 transfer. *If* you have a 3D BD player, as well as a 3D-ready TV, you can turn off 3D playback and enjoy the new MVC transfer in 2D, but only if you have the necessary equipment. This would be your best choice currently available on BD. Please note that the regular 2D BD that is included in the 3D package is the same old 2009 VC-1 transfer, so no improvement there.

The 2019, 80th anniversary 4K UHD disc is clearly the best PQ currently available, but that wasn’t the OP’s question. The UHD package also includes a BD, and guess what? It is the same old 2009 VC-1 transfer (again).

So, to sum up, unless you have a 3D BD player *and* a 3D TV set, or you are prepared to upgrade to a 4K UHD system, all standard 2D BDs of The Wizard of Oz are exactly the same, and have been since 2009.

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Same here. At some point good enough is good enough and I am not replacing my extensive blu-ray collection yet again. And, I seriously doubt that many of my blu-rays will be released in 4K. Blu-rays look more than good enough on my 145” screen with Epson projector. There will always be something better, I’m truly happy with what I got.

polchik and Michael like this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I did....massive mistake. Geez those were laughably awful, and I also had laserdisc so I don’t know what I was thinking!

Michael likes this.
  22. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I have to sadly wait until tomorrow rather than today or yesterday. I would love to upgrade my projector to 4K but nothing exists so far at reasonable prices/quality. Prices on 4K TV’s are much better but watching a movie on a ten foot screen has a higher priority for me than a smaller 4K TV.

polchik and Jrr like this.
  23. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I have the 2009 Blu-ray release, and it looks great. Hopefully the 4K version will be what we’ll get on HBO Max.

longdist01 likes this.
  24. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

The 4K version is stunning. The use of HDR is incredible. I have never seen the ruby shoes look so sparkling. The color range handily beats the Blu-ray.

longdist01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.