Tonight Show with Johnny Carson coming to Shout! Factory TV April 1

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by cathandler, Mar 26, 2020.

1. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member Thread Starter

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  2. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Not for me. I don't stream. If I can't record it, I ain't interested in it.

3. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Very cool! I miss Carson. I’ve never really paid attention to that channel, but I see it on PlutoTV as I scroll around. Have to look a bit more closely now.

Thanks for the tip!

longdist01 and cathandler like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is weird, wild, wacky stuff. Ya-ha.

5. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

6. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Carnac:
    Answer: "Dirty socks, wet sawdust, and oat bran," which Ed repeats. Johnny tears open the envelope, blows into it, removes paper
    Question: "Name three things that taste like oat bran?"

Dan

7. James Slattery

They made a deal for all 5000 hours of Carson. Also made a deal for the Cannell library.

8. cathandler

I was wondering why the Johnny Carson YouTube channel was so active recently after being dormant for a while. Now we know!

longdist01 and jlocke08 like this.
  9. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Forum Resident

I only wish they would (or could) show the musical performances.

Jazzmonkie and longdist01 like this.
  10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Is there a list someplace of surviving rock/soul/country acts they have but can't release?

I know of three extant clips:

- the kiddie group Gary & The Hornets

- a very poor quality, color clip of Paul Revere and The Raiders (featuring their guitar-duel stage routine, which may not be available anywhere else)

- a blind young folk singer whose name I have unfortunately forgotten

Perhaps someday, if we survive, someone will find the Feb '64 show where Sam Cooke sang "A Change Is Gonna Come", almost a year before it was released

longdist01 likes this.
  11. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

He is the only person I ever saw blow into an envelope. What's up with that? Do people do this? Was that just theatrics?

12. cathandler

It's theatrics plus it facilitates removing the piece of paper from each envelope in a fluid motion.

BeatleJWOL, longdist01 and forthlin like this.
  13. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

this should really be outstanding for Carson fans. had not heard about Cannell. many of his shows are great. Wiseguy!!!

14. James Slattery

If you're into rock, Carson hated rock and didn't want rock acts on the show. From what I read, they had booked The Youngbloods on the show and they came in and were being all kinds of pains in the asses. He didn't like the music to begin with and after that, he said screw it, and didn't want rock acts to be booked anymore.

15. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Used to watch Johnny Carson when i was allowed to stay up. Always watched Buddy Rich & George Carlin.

16. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Wouldn't Wang Chung be considered rock music? They played on Johnny's show in 1987.

17. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Very nice hope there is truly some new material in there and not just a rehash of what's been put on VHS, DVD and AntennaTV all these years

18. James Slattery

He may have softened his stance by then. I'm talking about the 60s and 70s era. Don't really care much about the music after that.

a customer likes this.
  19. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I would love a complete DVD collection of just the skits.

longdist01 likes this.
  20. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

After the Youngbloods incident in 1969 Carson pretty much blackballed rock acts until David Bowie was on c. 1982. From that point rock acts became more common, especially on shows hosted by Joan Rivers in her pursuit of the youth demo. One of the very few (only?) times I watched her host was when she had on Elvis Costello. Hell, Leno even had on John Cale.

But while rock acts almost completely vanished from the show in the '70s, there is a curious exception: The Bee Gees were on at least twice. I guess Stigwood used his clout/called in some markers.

longdist01 likes this.
  21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

He didn't like rock. But he enjoyed having fun and wanging chung, in moderation.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

In the '70s Buddy Rich was on Tonight delivering one of his infamous anti-rock rants when Carson interrupted him and said The Beatles actually did some good things -- ironic, considering Carson's no-rock-guests policy of the '70s. Even more surprising, Rich agreed with him.

longdist01 likes this.
  23. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

It's never occurred to me to do, ever. Bit allegedly stolen from Ernie Kovacs's "Mr. Question Man" anyway.

Dan

drift and forthlin like this.
  24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Also worth noting there is a Johnny Carson channel on Sirius XM as part of their streaming-only channels.

25. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

Carson did have Alice Cooper on in June 1977. IIRC Cooper had his snake with him and the snake proceeded to wrap himself around Carson, who apparently had no fear of snakes.