Crossfade/segue on physical and no Crossfade/segue on digital - any opinion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Separan, Mar 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Separan

Separan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Recently I streamed Blackfield self-titled remastered and Porcupine Tree's In Absentia remastered.
    Unlike the original, all crossfade and segue is gone. In search I noticed there is no difference on CD and vinyl (crossfades/segues are intact)
    It turns out remastered version of No-Man's Together We're Stranger is also some crossfade removed. (but the CD has crossfades)
    Not sure this is strictly to Wilson product but any opinion on this situation?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Can't wait to hear the first 7 Moody Blues albums and DSOTM and WYWH by Pink Floyd without crossfades.

Seriously I think removing the crossfades is a terrible idea.

GoodKitty, Separan and altaeria like this.
  3. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I hate when they completely screw up a digital transfer and add an abrupt silent spot between two connected songs. Just poor quality control.

GoodKitty and rockclassics like this.
  4. Separan

Separan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Agreed. Some cases, though, have weird crossfades which are very annoying, like XTC's Nonsuch.
    I really like new remix for Nonsuch without crossfades. (and also Skylarking, 'corrected polarity' version has some crossfades.)
    Not related to this topic but... nevermind

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The reality is most music is heard now on playlists. This compromise to offer two versions is pragmatic — allows the original to be heard appropriately in context; or when out of context, with no jarring abrupt cut-offs when the next song shuffles in

GoodKitty and Separan like this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

As a DJ who used technique in music radio moreso than most, I really miss taking that latitude, and presenting music to audiences in ways they were not used to hearing. Your standard live (or, "live-sounding") music format involves a jingle, or a sweeper, or a dopey station voice, or a dopey deejay voice, in-between every damn song on the playlist these days, fearful of missing every opportunity to remind listeners of what station they're listening to. But even as late as the '90s, there were some stations that sometimes didn't place these intrusive elements in-between every song, and maybe one to three times an hour you might encounter a song going cold-segue into the next one. I would take these opportunities, when the music mix allowed it, to slip an occasional beat-to-beat, chord-to-chord, or other transitions from one song fade into another, as another way to give a listener a fresh experience with the music they were already familiar with...but didn't expect another song they liked, to get "snuck" onto them like that.

This sometimes caused great, and pointlessly-agonized complaints by management (particularly on rock or oldies stations, where they were not used to this sort of transition element). I would always look for an opportunity to get away with these, and never saw the harm in it when not specifically forbidden from doing so. Just another sly way of reminding listeners, real people sometimes operate this equipment, and think about their enjoyment and surprise beyond just "executing the format". But, nothing irritates a consultant or a PD more than doing something clever on "their" radio station they didn't approve of first...although they all swear, our originality is what we're here for in the first place. The segue is the most basic building block of the sound of radio, having access to sometimes up to 10 sound sources at any point, over multiple things going through the console. And a real artist, knows the difference between a jarring edit, and a seamless flow of the very thing the listener tunes in for...particularly when they're keeping time with their heads bobbing, and suddenly realize they've been nodding to an entirely different song long before they picked up on it.

McLover, GoodKitty, Separan and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.