Beatles Live at Hollywood Bowl essential?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by samurai, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Essential? No. Fun to listen to once in a while, sure.

DK Pete, AlienRendel, Exotiki and 4 others like this.
  2. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I bought it and listened to it once. If you like to hear 15 year old girls scream at the top of their lungs this is the album for you.

ranks up there with Metal Machine Music for enjoyability

CatchAsCan likes this.
  3. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

Hollywood Bowl is fun.

My vote for essential is this:

The boys at the top of their vocal and instrumental game, in the early days, before the screaming got out of hand.

Of course, others upthread agree: THIS is one of the really good examples of them as a tight unit.

4. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I share your enthusiasm Maccafan, and concur 100%! Great album, great LIVE album and great experience! To me, it’s an essential part of the famous Beatles’ famous legend!

Would have been nice to have several full concerts from ‘64 and ‘65.

musicfan37 and longdist01 like this.
  5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I agree with everyone who says this should have been a double album!
    I've heard many of the suggested albums mentioned, and for me they just don't measure up to the new Hollywood Bowl. I have the many Hamburg recordings, so I'm very familiar with that material. There's one called LAST NIGHT IN HAMBURG that I really enjoy, and if Giles Martin got his hands on it and did his remix magic, it would be another ABSOLUTE TREASURE! As it stands now though for me HOLLYWOOD BOWL just sounds better than any of the others! CAN'T BUY ME LOVE and BOYS are just THRILLING!
    I see some comment about the screaming, I think Giles did a fantastic job of bringing the screaming level down without losing the excitement of a Beatles concert. The screaming doesn't get in the way of the music. I listened to this album a few hours ago, now I'm jacked again for another listen!

musicfan37 and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

...Or at least include the best performance of each song, which would have fit easily onto one CD.

Jon H. and longdist01 like this.
  7. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

For me it was the 1st Beatles album I owned, which was a cassette version. I played it more than any other live album I've ever had, only UFO Strangers in the night comes close. All the songs are great versions, and for years I thought Hard days night was better than the studio version, now I consider it a tie... Great underappreciated live album, crank it.

I have the original and it's great! I still play it, though I have the new one too. Also I have bootleg video footage of the shows with many more tracks than the album.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    maui jim likes this.
  8. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Giles did a very good job on the remaster considering the hysteria present on the recording. I agree with Jon H. If you want a generally excellent presentation of the early Fabs, the Stockholm radio show is it. Short and sweet, they nailed it.

Jon H. and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  9. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Listening to it right now!

10. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

This is an album I played a lot when I was a kid… Part of my core albums yes and a must have.

11. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

John even skips a beat in the count in for Twist and Shout but the other guys pick up the slack immediately and without flaw. My god they were good

12. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

When I was in my teens...I listened to "The Beatles Story" double LP (the live 30 seconds or so of "Twist and Shout") over and over. As a first gen Beatles fan that 30 second snippet was awesome. I and some of my Beatle friends craved either new Beatles music (there were tons of reunion rumors) or a live album. Then I discovered bootlegs at a Boston Beatles convention. I bought "Five nights in a Judo Arena" A "Hollywood Bowl" and a few others over the next year or so. For me...when the official release came out IT WAS AWESOME. I love it. It's certainly essential to me. BTW - I still prefer my original 1977 Wally x 2 over the Ron Howard version.

13. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

It has the best available version of "Boys" with an awesome Ringo vocal. Also the live "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" is an improvement on the ho-hum studio version from Help.

Big Pasi and musicfan37 like this.
  14. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

No love for Japan's 1966 Live At The Budokan? :D

Seriously, too bad New York's 1965 SHEA Stadium wasn't the best recording, since the Beatles were bigger than Jesus at this show.

15. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

What's kind of weird is how the 4 bonus tracks are just tacked on the end of the recent re-release. As a live album those 4 cuts should have been incorporated into the tracklist in an organic way so that Long Tall Sally remains the final track. The stage banter and "goodnight" makes no sense when there are 4 more songs that play after that haha.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I actually prefer the Live peace In Toronto version of Dizzy Miss Lizzy.

Frank Discussion likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Clapton helps for sure... ;)

DK Pete likes this.
  18. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

Too much pot, dare I say.
    And the stadiums... The Beatles were not supposed to play on stadiums. Just a little rock-n-roll band, that made it very very big.

ODIrony and NumberEight like this.
  19. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I totally agree with you. Or at least a deluxe edition with both concerts in their entirety. If Giles wanted to keep in the spirit of the original, then just use same artwork, etc from the original. John Lennon had quite a bit of input with that set and it really was a nice package. Right down to the ticket pictures on the label.

ODIrony and DK Pete like this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Oh yea, quite for sure. I had to actually run away from the computer for a few minutes so I rushed and just posted my one sentence. As I was typing it, I seriously thought of adding that Clapton's smooth wail on the song's riff, *does* make a difference..but overall, even though it's even more rough edged than any Beatles live version, it has a "garage band" feel that makes it more appealing (to me).

21. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I love the Hollywood Bowl album. The raw energy is just electric. It's not much of an intro to early Beatles for the uninitiated, but for people who know the music it's just a delight, screaming girls and all.

22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Below is John Lennon's reply letter to Capitol Records in 1977 explaining which cover that he wanted used. They had sent him three different mock-up designs for the gatefold cover, of which he selected "sample B." There were also "dust sleeve" samples sent as well as inside variations.

Of special interest, his comment "Beatles 4ever --- on tape of course!" and the "P.P.S." at the bottom of the letter confirming he wanted the album title to be "The Beatles - Live At The Hollywood Bowl."

[​IMG]

mrgroove01, Jon H., teag and 2 others like this.
  23. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Essential to understanding how incredibly popular The Beatles were. A moment in time never repeated.

DK Pete likes this.
  24. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I absolutely love the newly expanded and remixed version of this album. But it always reminds me of how incredibly close we came to getting a “Live at Carnegie Hall” album. Capitol had the wheels in motion to record the band there, but failed to get the musician’s union approval in time. We can’t say for sure, but based on all other existing recordings from late ‘63 and early ‘64, the band’s in-concert performances of that period were far superior to the summer 1964 and 1965 tours. And, needless to say, the sound quality of a Carnegie Hall performance would be far superior to an outdoor Hollywood Bowl show in front of 17,000 people.

musicfan37 likes this.
  25. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Listen to that audience....
    The pitch and intensity of those screams is enough to make your hair stand on end.
    Nothing......I mean nothing will ever sound like that again.

notesfrom, DK Pete and Big Pasi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.