Beatles Live at Hollywood Bowl essential?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by samurai, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teag

teag Forum Resident

Looks like John was making the decisions in 1977 also.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  2. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

A perfect snapshot of the Beatles slaying the faithful at the height of the hysteria. Exciting and essential for me, yes.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Provided that you still have hair... :hide:

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, it very interesting. Even though John at times could act as the never-look-back type, he was likely the most nostalgic for the band during the 1970s. He delighted in getting old Beatle bootlegs, and he seemingly was the point-person for all related matters with Capitol Records (maybe because he actually lived in the USA). I am sure that Apple/Neil Aspinall in London were contacted too, but the majority of evidence always points to John being involved. Paul, of course, might have been involved behind the scenes, but he downplayed his role (at least publicly) throughout the 1970s.

5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

No doubt, the excitement on this album is well represented...but it got even better on August 15 of 1965. There isn't a moment in Beatlemania which shows how bombastically out of control things had gotten.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    musicfan37 and 2141 like this.
  6. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Surely you mean all three...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I would settle for that.

NumberEight and DK Pete like this.
  8. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I think the original mix of the complete '64 show is right up there with the best of the boots. It has an entirely different feel than the official releases, and is more emotional.

The official ones, which mix the '64 and '65 shows together, lack the urgency and energy that the '64 show had.

9. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Not essential, but worth hearing.

10. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

I bloody hate this album. Even in the sketchy world of "Beatlemania" post-1963 live recordings, it's weak. In that era, you're best served by the Atlanta 1965 bootleg, plus some varied assortment of Ed Sullivan-or-other live TV performances. (The best numbers at the second Tokyo show are great, too.)

I just noticed that this thread is 4 years old. I wonder if the OP has made his decision yet...?

Lemon Curry likes this.
  11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I played the vinyl once and I played the CD once.

12. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

The finished live album is very strange. Anyone interested in The Beatles concert bootlegs knows for sure their shows consisted of 11 songs, and here we have more. And those continuous jumps in time from 1965 to 1964 and back are very weird. I would rather prefer a double album of 1964 HB show on one LP and a mix of the both 1965 shows on the second.

forthlin, Lemon Curry and NumberEight like this.
  13. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

It's nearest thing for many experiencing what being in a concert was like so I'm glad of my copies - first got in seventy-seven and have the new remixed and expanded version on cd.

14. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

No time to really practice as a band because they recorded 4 LPs and made 2 movies from 1964-1965. Plus, as John put it "We were smoking marijuana for breakfast by that point [during the making of Help!]"

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I think this title would be a candidate for lowest plays/purchase ratio in history, along with several others. I'm thinking of starting a thread.

Mylene likes this.
  16. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

This album ABSOLUTELY ROCKS! I crank it and all I hear is a band ON FIRE!
    You're hit with SONG AFTER EXCITING HARD ROCKING SONG! I'm IMMUNE and CAN'T EVEN RELATE to the negative comments because MY EARS EXPERIENCE SOMETHING TOTALLY FANTASTIC when I listen to this album!
    It's the very ESSENCE of THE BRITISH INVASION and BEATLEMANIA! I know people are different so TO EACH HIS OWN, but I'll FOREVER BE ROCKING OUT to this ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL ALBUM!

17. owsley

owsley Senior Member

This is my go-to set when I wanna hear Hollywood Bowl. Well, this and my Capitol acetate of the '64 show :)

NumberEight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.