Dhani Harrison Performs The Beatles 'The Inner Light'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Mar 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

2. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

The Inner Light Challenge

The Material World Foundation, created by George Harrison in 1973, is today donating $500,000 to the MusiCares COVID-19 Relief Fund, Save the Children, and Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) charities, which are providing much needed aid and care during this COVID-19 pandemic.

Join The Inner Light challenge by sharing a verse, chorus, or line from The Beatles’ song and posting it with the hashtag #innerlight2020 to help raise an additional $100,000 to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.

Sing it, play it, hum it, strum it, paint it, knit it, chant it, plant it, pray or meditate and post it to social media.

Tommyboy, DaveJ, O Don Piano and 10 others like this.
  3. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

This is really awesome.

The song, of course, is perfect for these times, too.

I hope other artists do similar campaigns.

marklamb, DaveJ, O Don Piano and 8 others like this.
  4. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

Dhani keeps doing right by his dad. Awesome version, too. I wonder if he’d perform TIL at any concerts he performs to honor Ravi Shankar’s 100th.

chickendinna, marklamb, Terry and 2 others like this.
  5. I love the melody of this song always have.

6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

McCartney liked it too. Called it " really lovely ". I'd call that high praise.

7. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

This! Support this!

longdist01 likes this.
  8. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

An uncomplicated and meaningful gesture. It’s rather startling how much He looks and sounds like his dad.

DaveJ, Hep Alien, mmars982 and 3 others like this.
  9. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

10. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

It truly is a lovely song. I've never understood how it lands on so many folks' "Worst Beatle Songs" lists.

Very nice job by Dhani.

BeatleJWOL, DaveJ, longdist01 and 4 others like this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

great version and it blows my mind every time I see him...

longdist01 likes this.
  12. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I hope this is not considered a thtead crap. Nice gesture for sure.

I am as touched as everybody else seeing Dhani looking exactly like his late dad... but... on the other hand it seems rather ridiculous/tragic (depending on your viewpoint) how a grown up man seemingly has nothing else to do than living on the success of his father mirroring him to the tiniest detail. It's like his purpose in life would be not to be himself but his father. George's dad was a bus driver. There's the difference.

13. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Some fans just don't get his Indian songs. Personally I like all three

14. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

I agree. It's cool to see him perform this songs but when I see Dhani performing them it's so uncanny. I forget that it's Dhani performing and instead think I'm watching a George clone. Every time he hits the news it's basically when he performs a cover of George's songs.

15. beatbro

beatbro Forum Resident

Harrison formed his own band, thenewno2, in 2002 and has performed at festivals including Coachella where Spin magazine dubbed their performance as one of the "best debut performances of the festival." The band also played Lollapalooza three times with Harrison joining the festival's founder Perry Farrell on a cover of The Velvet Underground's "Sweet Jane" at 2010's event.[2] In 2017 Harrison released his debut solo album "IN///PARALLEL". The 2019 film IN///PARALIVE, showcases the live version of his debut solo album and was recorded in the round at the legendary Henson Studios in Los Angeles. Harrison's latest single, "Motorways (Erase It)", was described by Rolling Stone as "a psychedelic track with a robust beat".[3]

In 2013, Harrison launched his career as a composer. Alongside his writing partner Paul Hicks, Harrison scored the Warner Bros. movie Beautiful Creatures. Harrison has gone on to score the music for the TV show Good Girls Revolt, AMC's The Divide, Seattle Road,[4] Learning to Drive (film),[5] and for the Paul Giamatti-produced show Outsiders.[6] In 2018 Harrison and his writing partner Hicks received a nomination for 'Best Music Score' at the International Documentary Association Awards for their work on the Sundance Film Festival Award Winning documentary Matangi/Maya/M.I.A.. Most recently, Harrison wrote and recorded the title song for the Netflix original series Dogs and, along with Paul Hicks, scored the four-part HBO documentary series The Case Against Adnan Syed and the Bill Gates Netflix docuseries Inside Bill's Brain: Decoding Bill Gates.

Harrison's music collaborations span a diverse range of genres that have seen him tour with Eric Clapton, appear on the Wu-Tang Clan track "The Heart Gently Weeps", and join Pearl Jam live on stage several times over the years.[7] One of Harrison's notable collaborations was in 2004 at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, where he appeared alongside Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, and Prince on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps",[8] which was performed to mark the posthumous induction of his father. Harrison guests on the new UNKLE album The Road: Part II/Lost Highway, and also appears on Perry Farrell's latest solo album, Kind Heaven. Harrison united with his long-time family friend Jeff Lynne when he opened for Jeff Lynne's ELO on the band's sold out 2019 North American summer tour.

goodboyfred, DaveJ, BeSteVenn and 2 others like this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Truth is Dhani doesn't do things with his dad's music all that often - it's just that when he does, it gets a lot more attention than when he does things with his own band or his composing for film scores. So a lot of people think that is all he does because that's the only time we hear about him.

I think this is a beautiful idea, and I've been practicing it on my guitar since hearing about it. The song is very moving right now. Will probably post my 'challenge' over the weekend.

cwitt1980, intv7, real01 and 10 others like this.
  17. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

With all due respect, if you think Dhani's spent his life mirroring George it just shows you don't pay much attention to him until he does something like this. He was extremely close to George, so naturally like any child he's been influenced by him, but his music is completely different, and he has his own various interests and projects. He's worked hard to be his own person and can't help that his physical appearance and demeanor is so much like his dad.

intv7, BeatleJWOL, marklamb and 8 others like this.
  18. lobo

You're probably right. Indeed, I don't follow his solo career closely as his music doesn't touch me. I think he's a likeable chap, but has to much money and time, so he can still fool around. Maybe I'm just jealous. Who knows. ..

Umbari and willy like this.
  19. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

I watched Dhani’s video again and noticed there was a Dark Horse Records single on the table next to him. Very cool and interesting!

BeatleJWOL, longdist01 and Hep Alien like this.
  20. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Maybe you should listen to the lyrics of the song and learn from them....

LeifFan likes this.
  21. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

If the family business works, however, why not roll with it? He's likely dabbled in other things before settling down to run the family business. I can't say I wouldn't do the same. Someone has to take responsibility.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Well said agree 100%

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. looks and sounds just like his pappy

24. lobo

... nice personal attack :)

25. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

.....says the man who's happy to diss Dhani's whole existence.....you couldn't make it up!

stevenson66g, AFOS and Calico like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.