Album titles with Grammatical errors

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aar Gal, Mar 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Good points. In British English (and I do not know whether American English is different in this case) it depends on whether you consider the group 'family' to be an impersonal unit or a collection of individuals.

Consider: 'My family, who have lived on this island all their lives, are determined to remain here.' This sounds correct to my (British) ears.

I think the car example is misleading because a family can not all drive the same car at the same time. :)

Question. In American English, if members of the Sinatra family have all expressed the same sentiment, but have all done so at different times, would you then use the plural verb?

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It's quite common in Britain to come across place names that do not, or perhaps no longer use, possessive apostrophes.

Potters Bar
    St. Johns Wood
    Parsons Lane

So it becomes a norm - for example when giving something a title.

Al Gator likes this.
  3. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

We have Pikes Peak where I live.

mr.datsun and Fullbug like this.
  4. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Can we do SHF thread titles with grammatical errors next?

5. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

That would be one of the longest threads in forum history.

intv7, andrewskyDE, Neonbeam and 2 others like this.
  6. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

I've read every post so far.

It's not.

Fullbug, Bob F and Biscuit Warehouse like this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

My understanding is that (in US usage) you only use a plural verb when you are indicating differing actions by members of the collective. If they are all doing the same action at the same time (regardless of whether they are speaking as "one voice") it takes a singular verb.

The dependent clause which ends in the plural "lives" kind of throws off one's ear, but if we remove it then the statement 'My family is determined to remain here.' sounds correct to my (US) ears, and 'My family are determined to remain here' sounds incorrect.

Ha. We could rewrite the sentence then to state "the family rides to work together in the same car every morning."

Perhaps. What would be an example of a sentence that would clearly indicate well-wishing done at different times?

In the case of this album they all appear together expressing their wishes at the same time, so there doesn't seem to be any way to conclude they were suggesting well-wishing at differing times.

mr.datsun likes this.
  8. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

& famously quoted from Newton being rude about a competitor natural philosopher who was also a dwarf. Or certainly very short.

Zack and Jarleboy like this.
  9. richarm

richarm Senior Member

Or even the other guy called Sinatra

10. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

It's not that cut and dried, though, because "the same action," where we're talking about something numerically distinct (as is the case with different people performing the "same" action) is actually just an abstraction, and as such, whether two actions count as the "same" action is a matter of how one thinks about it (that is, how a particular individual formulates the relevant abstraction). See "nominalism" and the concept of "the non-identity of discernibles" for further info.

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I bet not one single Oasis fan noticed ;).

Neonbeam likes this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Intentional though.

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Again, intentional. In commercial ventures and branding it's quite common to leave out apostrophes.

mr.datsun likes this.
  14. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Bitches, as in more than one Bitch, Plural no need for an apostrophe.

DTK likes this.
  15. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Every thread that is a mixture of British and American English is full of grammatical errors, depending on which side of the pond one lives on.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

On this note, the German LP of Missing Persons' "Color In Your Life" has "Colour In Your Life" written on the spine. This is obviously correct in British English, but doesn't match the title given on the front (they were an American band).

There's an old calypso musician Lord Melody whose 1952 78 "MacDonald Almanac" has a variant pressing titling it "McDonald Almanac". The labels were typed by hand by multiple people and it would appear one person got the spelling right and the other didn't. The MacDonald Almanac is a farmer's publication that is still around.

PJayBe likes this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Again, re Bitches Brew, the idea is that it's akin to saying "Musicians Cook"--"cooking" being another slang for gelling together. It's not talking about a brew that belongs to bitches. It's using "brew" as a verb. Obviously it's a pun on "Witch's brew" (or "Witches' brew"), but the idea stemmed from "brewing" as a slang for gelling.

Think of it as a way of telling you what you're going to hear, what's going on with respect to the album.

andrewskyDE, breakingglass and DTK like this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Plurals should have the apostrophe after the final 's'.

I think the Bitches Brew example is about titling.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes. It's a reference to Miles' female friends at the time - wife Betty, Colette Mimran, Stella Douglas (wife of Al) and Devon Wilson. Colette and Stella had a clothes boutique and all of them were responsible for turning Miles on to current fashions in clothes and music. All of them were friends of Hendrix.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    andrewskyDE and mr.datsun like this.
  20. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

You mean things' like dogs', cats' shoes', clothes' penguins' chips' etc. Don't think so.

21. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

Yes, but the apostrophe should go before the 90, as in ‘90s, to denote the missing 19.

Mai Tem Baht likes this.
  22. Maltman

Metamorpheus?

23. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Sepultura's "The Past Reborns The Storm" on Schizophrenia but was renamed in North America to "From The Past Comes the Storms".

But then again, the band mainly used a Portuguese to English to make up their song titles and lyrics. You get weird titles like, "Septic Schizo", "Sarcastic Existence", and "Show Me The Wrath". o_O

24. Maltman

Only if they denote the possessive. It’s commonly used when someone’s name ends in s. For example: I borrowed Mr. Simmonds’ car. It’s also sometimes written: Mr. Simmonds’s car, which is usually the way it is spoken.

Deek57 likes this.
  25. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Adam9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.