Bitches Brew Vinyl Pressings in 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thatjazzman, Feb 20, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatjazzman

thatjazzman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Out of the few 'contenders', I've only heard the original 2-eye Canadian pressing. I borrowed it from the store I worked at, and listened to it at home. I remembered it being quite muffled, quiet and slightly distorted which I'm guessing is due to its length on the LP.

If anyone has compared it with the original 2-eye US, original Japanese and the Mo-Fi issue, please let me know what your thoughts were! I'm willing to spend big money on it since it's one of my favourite albums ever. A 4LP 45RPM release would be ideal, so if the Mo-Fi 2LP isn't much better, I'll probably wait for something like that to happen, hopefully.

2. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

3. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

The only vinyl edition I have is the one that came with the 40th anniversary box set which sounds OK without totally jumping out of the speakers at you.

Is a 25 minute side ever going to sound exemplary on vinyl? I dunno...

jwoverho and tug_of_war like this.
  4. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

The 30/32 minute sides of Get Up With It sound miraculously good to me.

Thom Lieb and octophone like this.
  5. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Says page was removed.

I have the anniversary one too. Sounds great to me.

jwoverho likes this.
  6. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Between the US Columbia 2-eye and the MFSL, I preferred the MFSL due to the dead-quiet pressing and perfect tonality across the spectrum. The only drawback as mentioned previously here is some very low-level crackling in one channel that lasts for a few seconds, but I still prefer the MFSL because the sound is so good. The US 2-eye is also very good. Between the two you can’t go wrong either way.

jgrillo likes this.
  7. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Can’t get the link to work but they are advertising a new release coming in March. Same for Jack Johnson.

Snutedute and misteranderson like this.
  8. misteranderson

Thanks. I'm satisfied with the anniversary BB, but a new vinyl version of Jack Johnson would be cool.

I have the big Miles Columbia CD box, but there are a few Miles things I'd still like to have on vinyl. I passed up a pretty beat up copy of Jack Johnson the other day for $20.

9. thatjazzman

thatjazzman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The MFSL Jack Johnson is immaculate!

10. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I came to Miles in the mid-late 90's so I've only ever heard that album on one CD. With "BB", I have 3 different CDs and a vinyl (my original fat-box 2CD, the 4CD 25th and the 40th w/ the vinyl)

tug_of_war likes this.
  11. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

12. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

I’m listening to my US Columbia 2 eye right now and think it’s great. I also had a Canadian Columbia 2 eye and it was good but not as clear as the US so I sold it. I’ve never heard the MSFL but have never felt the need to get anything else.

tug_of_war and scotti like this.
  13. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Same here. I haven’t felt the need to upgrade, unless there’s a really compelling reason.

14. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

15. misteranderson

16. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Columbia two eye :love:

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  17. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I don’t have a Columbia, but I have the MFSL and it is quite good, admittedly with no basis for comparison. Might have to spin that today...

18. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

So far Ive heard no MFSL Miles with perfect tonality. They tend to EQ low from what I hear. Although if you listen through a bright system it might balance better.

19. Larry Loves LPs

I was looking closely at it last night, I was inspired to get it out because of the new Miles documentary. Mine is 1A, 1/F, 1D and 1A stampers so I assume a very early press. It really does sound great so maybe it’s worth whatever they are going for now.

tug_of_war likes this.
  20. Leonthepro

Those are not the stamper symbols.

21. Larry Loves LPs

Ahh. What are those, lacquers?

22. Leonthepro

The letters refer to the Lacquer cuts and the numbers next to it refer to the programming.

23. Larry Loves LPs

Thanks for that, I was looking through a thread about that and it was a LOT of info. Not to totally derail the thread but 1A would signify an early pressing, correct?

24. Leonthepro

It would signify the first Lacquer cut. But most Lacquer cuts are early as they usually do many per day and send of to pressing plants. 1A and 1F could have been done on the same day. We dont know what mother or stamper was used for your record, not to mention how worn the stamper was at that point. So really, its mostly a thing for collectors, theres no sonic significance to it. Cant say how early your pressing is but it should be earlier than any double lettered variants.

25. sailingsinkingships

sailingsinkingships Forum Resident

Any thoughts on this newest pressing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.