2020 Yamaha Integrated Amps A-S1200/2200/3200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Deadly_Icy_Calm, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Deadly_Icy_Calm

Deadly_Icy_Calm Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

i had a 2100 for about a month. it was nice at first ... liked the meters and the build quality is great ... they have some great robots! then, i started to noticed it started to make every recording sound the same. maybe the new ones are better?

but overall, a nice sounding solid state amp (which i typically don't like).

jeffrey walsh, Tim 2, jusbe and 2 others like this.
  3. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Seems the update is chiefly a toroidal transformer in the 1200/2200?

I'd say if you're in the market jump on a discounted 1100/2100 while you can - that's what I just did.

FillmoreGuy, K Knight, ASIMO7 and 4 others like this.
  4. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

How much are the 1100's and from where did you get it? Always liked these amps.

PunkSaxMix likes this.
  5. LARGERTHAN

I'm over on the other side of the pond and picked up an A-S 2100 for approx 1500 dollars.

The Pinhead likes this.
  6. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Hmmmmm, interesting. Looks like this more a matter of 'refinement' than anything. Though, it does look like that toroidal transformer is a big change from the 1100/2100. Still loving mine!

7. pressureworld

pressureworld Forum Resident

I love my AS1100 but really hope Yamaha updates their CD Players. It's long overdue.

8. james

james Summon The Queen

or at least make a budget cd player in the same silver as some of their other units. I know they have them in Japan. I'd like one as a transport to run into my 801

9. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

How different design are the 1100/2100 to the AS 701/801? When was the last time the 801 was updated?

10. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Just did this 2 days ago with an 1100. Should be here in 7 - 10 days. Got the last one for $1499 from hi fi heaven. They have some more right now for $1799. All open box units

4xoddic likes this.
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

I'm not sure the move to a toroid is a good thing. They're more susceptible to saturation from DC offset which is an increasing issue with modern power grids. I've also suspected the excellent bass performance of the X100 series is attributable to the EI core transformers. It's easier to achieve wide bandwidth with an EI transformer, while a toroid capable of the same has to be constructed to very high standards.

Even my Exposure monoblocks that have massive, quiet toroids (most toroid-powered amps hum when connected to my mains) cannot match the bass extension of my 1100.

12. intensemojo

intensemojo Forum Resident

Doh - got a 2100 a month ago. Loving it though. I’ll get a 3200 in a few years

ASIMO7 likes this.
  13. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Sonic homogeneity is always a concern.

I see you're a fan of Audio Note. And no doubt their 'Comparison by Contrast' approach to sound reproduction. Have you ever wondered how they actually achieve that notion in audio engineering? Doesn't Yamaha aim for the same insight?

Re the new Yamaha series: aside from the toroid upgrade in the 1200 and 2200, I can't see much difference? Maybe some wire changes in the 3200? Is that really all?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  14. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Still in love with my 1100. No upgrade desire here.

15. Deadly_Icy_Calm

Deadly_Icy_Calm Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hoping for some good deals on pre-owned current series

16. russk

russk Forum Resident

Wondering when there will be something on the Yamaha website. I too am hoping for an update to the SACD players.

Can’t recommend the a-s2100 enough. Best deal in hifi going now.

17. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

100%

18. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Wait, so the new A-S3200 looks nearly identical to its predecessor, which already has a toroidal transformer, and only appears to have a new meter “dimmer” setting and a slight boost in maximum output?

I want one.

19. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

On face value I feel the new series is a bit of a let down, but Im kinda glad, because I'd really want one if it was a spectacular leap forward.

Be interesting to read/watch some a/b reviews.

ASIMO7, lonelysea and Seafinch like this.
  20. russk

russk Forum Resident

For an all analog integrated at the price and form factor there really wasn’t much more they could do. I was expecting them to add a DAC. Interesting that they didn’t. Still find it odd there is no mention of them on the Yamaha site.

The Pinhead and ASIMO7 like this.
  21. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I think they feel you should also buy their CD player/DAC to go with the amp. I personally wouldn't want a DAC built in and would resent paying for it.... maybe an optional extra but then you may as well buy the matching CD Player/DAC that goes with each amp.

ASIMO7, weavzy and F1nut like this.
  22. LARGERTHAN

I do wonder if they have changed any of the phono specifications? The MM capicitance as measured independently was quite high from what I've seen, in the 300's...

Similarly, 50 Ohm MC was an odd choice, some room for adjustment would be nice, though I understand many of an empirical mindset put less stock in such things.

A true tape loop seemed an obvious addition.

scobb likes this.
  23. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

And perhaps trickle down technology from the C5000 and M5000?

HIRES_FAN likes this.
  24. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

One of the new features of the 3200 is the copper wiring, used inside. It's promoted to be Triple-C copper, which is well known in Japan.
    I don't think such marketing claims were made on the 3000. It's probably more expensive than OFC, assuming that's what was used in the 3000.

25. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I’ve been trying to figure out what is was these amps did. They sound great! Everything just sounds the same.

shadowhillway and jusbe like this.